pecanfan

Default A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you...

Hi - I'm after some structural joist cutting type advice and figured
this would probably be a good starting point! :-)

First of all, I'm very confused by the structure of our 1900's
terraced flat so I've taken some pictures to accompany this post which
I hope will help!

Basically, I want to fit some (rather substantial) loft ladders
however I'm a bit stuck when it comes to locations for them and am
left with little alternative but to run them perpendicular to the
joists. The opening required for the ladders is 120 x 70cm (47 1/4" x
27 1/2") and the ceiling joists are 12" apart (12" gap that is). The
joists are 2 1/2" x 2 1/4" by the way.

Unfortunately this means cutting 3 joists in order to fit them in!
(see http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/newopening.jpg - new hole marked in
red). Now that wouldn't bother me too much if it wasn't for two
things:-

1. Our ceiling joists appear to be held up by 1x1" bits of wood
nailed to 1x4" bits of wood which are somehow attached to the walls
(see http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistends.jpg - I'm sure I'm missing
something here but see for yourself!)

2. There would appear to be a large king post (11' high) supported by
two 2x7" joists held together in the middle somehow which look like
they're resting on our ceiling joists (see
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/kingpost.jpg)

There are NO load bearing walls in our flat (other than the outside
walls of course) so can anyone explain the structure of our house?

Anyway, my plan was to basically cut the three joists to create the
opening and install some new 2 1/2" x 4" joists to support the cut
joists - these would be morticed and screwed together for extra
strength. This is much easier explained if you look at this:-

http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/plan.gif

Yellow = new opening
Black = ceiling joists
Blue = new 2 1/2 x 4" joists
Brown = 2x7" joists (spanning 30')
Red = King post (11' high)

So basically, the profile of the new joists (shown in blue) would be
like this: http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/profile.gif

My only concern here is that the entire weight of the ceiling, the
loft ladder (and people on the loft ladder), the contents of the loft
and potentially the king post would be supported by the bits marked
'A' on plan.gif. Should I extend the 'Blue' supports out further (to
the next set of joists either way) to spread the load? My only
concern is that it would potentially weaken even more joists by
morticing into them.

Should I be concerned? Should I employ the services of a structural
engineer? Should I sell my loft ladders?

As a side note to all this, does anyone know why we appear to have
ready made joist holes in our walls above the ceiling joists? (see
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistholes.jpg and
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joisthole.jpg)

Thanks for taking the time to read this epic - I look forward to ANY

Cheers,

Andy

Cheers for the replies! Comments below...

If your joists are only a bit bigger than 2 x 2, they're only capable

of
holding themselves plus the ceiling up - and I certainly wouldn't

want to
store anything other than empty cardboard boxes on top of them!

Bugger. A cinema room with sofas, people and various other heavy stuff
would be out of the question then? :-(

Some of your pictures seem to suggest that the joists are not all at

the
same level - implying that the ceilings slope. Is this the case?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

No - they're all at the same level - must just be my dodgy pics. To
summarise, the loft area is 20' x 30' and there are two beams
(effectively splitting the loft into three 30' x 6.6' sections) with
king posts running from back to front (30' stretches) - these are 2x7"
beams joined together in the middle somehow (double sided sticky
tape?). The ceiling joists run left to right (20' streches - broken up
by the chimney in the middle) - these are 2.5 x 2.25" joists with a gap
of 12" between each. The loft feels VERY sturdy to walk on (nothing
really happens when you jump up and down on the joists) but I still
don't really understand how?!?

Anyhoo... I've just spoken to a structural engineer and he reckons the
ceiling joists will be held by the king post beams somehow - don't
quite understand this. Anyway, getting him to come out and have a
look, which is probably a good idea.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated though! :-)
Cheers again,

Andy

What depth are the current ceiling joists?
2.5"

THe way in which the post meets the joists and the two ends of the
ceiling joists "fly past" each other would suggest there is a

supporting
wall or some other load bearing structure under there.

Nope - nothing underneath that one - just empty space! The other one
(next to the chimney breast) might be supported by part of the chimney
breast - haven't checked that yet...

There are NO load bearing walls in our flat (other than the outside
walls of course) so can anyone explain the structure of our house?

How do you know the wall are not load bearing? (a stud wall can be

load
bearing as well - it does not need to be brick / block).

There are certainly no internal brick / block walls other than the
chimney breast and all the stud walls seem to run in directions which
would offer little or no support to the ceiling joists... I could be
wrong though - no expert on such things. :-)

If there really is no load bearing wall, is there a substantial joist

at
the apex of the roof?

Not really - the joist spanning the apex looks pretty small - I've
taken some more pics which I hope will help:
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/apex.jpg (ignore the damp - that's on the
to-do list!).

This one gives a better 'overall view' of the loft:
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/loft.jpg

I don't think I'm going to have much option but to add some extra
joists to strengthen the floor in my 'storage area' - these could
potentially attach to joist hangers in the wall and rest on the main
30' beams spanning from front to back, which I presume are currently
supporting pretty much everything. The trouble there is that my floor
will now be around 10" higher which means I'll lose quite a bit of loft
space - such is life though. As you say, I don't think I've got much
option but to strengthen the supporting joists for the stringer beam
which will in-turn support the loft hatch. I certainly couldn't fit
the hatch any higher (in new joists) since I'm already at the max floor
to ceiling height (2.9m)... if that makes sense.

Still don't really understand how my ceiling's held up...

....and anyone have any ideas on the existing 'joist sized holes' in the
walls??

Cheers again!

Andy

John Rumm

What depth are the current ceiling joists?

2.5"

I would have thought that is not enough to use for storage - it is
likely to be close to the limit just with the weight of the ceiling at
those spans.

This one gives a better 'overall view' of the loft:
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/loft.jpg

Ah. That gives another clue! The vertical beam you will note has much
more substantial rafters each side than all the others. It also has a
pair of stays from those rafters to the base of the beam. creating a
shape like:-

/|\
/ | \
/ | \
/\ | /\
/ \ | / \
/----\|/----\

A B C

My guess would be that points A and C sit on the load bearing walls at
the sides of the house. Point B is actually under tension and holds up
the main ceiling span. This being repeated twice as you have two of these.

(in effect you have an old and very solid version of a modern roof truss!)

Could we have a photo of how those stay beams (i.e. the diaglonal ones
that run between A abd B or B and C in my diagram above) attach to the
rafters?

I would expect to see them well jointed or bolted together - rather than
just butted up to the side of the rafter, since if my guess is right
they will be under tension rather than compression.

I don't think I'm going to have much option but to add some extra
joists to strengthen the floor in my 'storage area' - these could
potentially attach to joist hangers in the wall and rest on the main
30' beams spanning from front to back, which I presume are currently
supporting pretty much everything. The trouble there is that my floor
will now be around 10" higher which means I'll lose quite a bit of loft
space - such is life though. As you say, I don't think I've got much
option but to strengthen the supporting joists for the stringer beam
which will in-turn support the loft hatch. I certainly couldn't fit
the hatch any higher (in new joists) since I'm already at the max floor
to ceiling height (2.9m)... if that makes sense.

Floor to ceiling height on the landing for the loft ladder?

...and anyone have any ideas on the existing 'joist sized holes' in the
walls??

Nope - might have been used for temporary support of timbers while the
place was being built?

--
Cheers,

John.

Ah. That gives another clue! The vertical beam you will note has much

more substantial rafters each side than all the others. It also has a

pair of stays from those rafters to the base of the beam.

Don't know if it makes any odds, but those 'big rafters' seem to be
supporting larger beams (spanning the full width of the loft and held
in the brickwork at either side) which in turn support the main
rafters.

Could we have a photo of how those stay beams (i.e. the diaglonal

ones
that run between A abd B or B and C in my diagram above) attach to

the
rafters?

Don't have a photo of that bit (not yet anyway), but they're basically
diagonally notched in, similar to how they're attached to the king
post: http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/kingpost.jpg
The 'notch' side is at the bottom, if that makes any sense at all.

to ceiling height (2.9m)... if that makes sense.

Floor to ceiling height on the landing for the loft ladder?

Yup.

Nope - might have been used for temporary support of timbers while

the
place was being built?

That's the only thing I can think of - very conveniently placed for a
brand new floor me thinks... :-)

Andy

John Rumm

Ah. That gives another clue! The vertical beam you will note has much

more substantial rafters each side than all the others. It also has a

pair of stays from those rafters to the base of the beam.

Don't know if it makes any odds, but those 'big rafters' seem to be
supporting larger beams (spanning the full width of the loft and held
in the brickwork at either side) which in turn support the main
rafters.

It could be the other way round. You have beams that run the full width
of the loft that are fixed into the brickwork at either end. These
support the pair of "A" frames, the A frames susspend the central floor
joists. These floor joists in turn carry the other floor joists.

(its times like this one of those 3D walkaround pictures would come in
handy ;-)

That's the only thing I can think of - very conveniently placed for a
brand new floor me thinks... :-)

I would not worry about the existing holes - compared to the task of
adding a new floor, having two holes available is not going to make much
impact on the total scale of the work. If you need to fix beams to the
wall these can be hung from a heavy shoe that is bolted to the wall:-

(In true Blue Peter tradition - here is one I made earlier)

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/shoe.jpg

That is the left hand end of beam F as shown on this plan view:-

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/beam-layout.gif

--
Cheers,

John.

jacob

Er, my guess is that the "King Post" and the other timbers joining it
make a truss which supports the roof - the rafters resting on wall
plate and ridge with one or two purlins in between. Where the
horizontal truss timbers overlap they are almost certainly firmly
bolted together.
So the whole roof+truss are independant of the ceiling joists which
may be removed however you want. The 2 ceiling joists which cross the
end of the proposed opening would need strengthening as they would
carry the extra load of the ceiling no longer supported by the removed
joists. Perhaps double up with a new timber on top bolted through in
several places.

cheers

Jacob
John Rumm

jacob wrote:

Er, my guess is that the "King Post" and the other timbers joining it
make a truss which supports the roof - the rafters resting on wall
plate and ridge with one or two purlins in between. Where the
horizontal truss timbers overlap they are almost certainly firmly
bolted together.

Yup, sounds likely to me.

So the whole roof+truss are independant of the ceiling joists which

Independant in the sense that the foor structure will not be affected by
what you do to the floor, however related in that the truss structure
also supports the floor.

may be removed however you want. The 2 ceiling joists which cross the
end of the proposed opening would need strengthening as they would
carry the extra load of the ceiling no longer supported by the removed
joists. Perhaps double up with a new timber on top bolted through in
several places.

I think something will need to be done to strengthen the whole area if
much use is going to made of it for storage, since 2 1/2" timber is not
going to be that much for se other than holding itself and the ceiling up.

--
Cheers,

John.

OK, cheers again for the replies. I spent another day in there
clearing crap out over the weekend (is 28kg of lead piping worth
anything? :-) ). Having hoovered out 11 bags of dust in the area of
the proposed opening, it's all making a lot more sense now, although I
can't say I've ever seen anything like it before! I've taken a couple
more pics to explain...

For starters, here's a scale plan and elevation of the loft (Visio is
really starting to do my head in for this sort of stuff - can anyone
recommend a more 'appropriate' package for plans, elevations and (if
pos) 3D views?):-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/loftplan.gif
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/loftelev.gif
(the current and proposed openings can be seen on the right of the plan
- I haven't bothered to show the joists, but needless to say they span
left-to-right (perpendicular to the main beams) and, as mentioned, are
12" apart)

The main beams spanning the full loft are indeed bolted together in two
places, as can be seen he-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistbeam.jpg

This is how the principal rafters notch into this main beam:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/praftbeampur.jpg

This is another view of the ridge board and principal rafters notched
into the king post:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/ridgekp.jpg

....and this is how the purlins are notched into the principal rafters -
also showing the struts notched into the principal rafters:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/praftstrtpur.jpg

....and a close up of the latter:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/strutpraft.jpg

....and the ceiling joists nailed into the main beam:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistbeam2.jpg

So, by my understanding the ceiling joists are simply nailed into the
walls and beams in 6-7' sections, like this:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistevelwl.gif
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistelevbm.gif

....and if this is the case, no matter how sturdy it currently feels,
there's no way on earth I'm putting any weight on the existing ceiling
joists. New floor it is then! :-)

I would not worry about the existing holes - compared to the task of
adding a new floor, having two holes available is not going to make

much
impact on the total scale of the work. If you need to fix beams to

the
wall these can be hung from a heavy shoe that is bolted to the wall.

I was planning on using joist hangers mortared into the brickwork as
opposed to the 'bolt in' type since I've tried drilling these bricks
and they're like solid steel. Anything to avoid drilling 80 x 10mm (or
whatever) holes would be a bonus! Anyone have any experience of using
these? I was planning on using the Catnic 50x150 ones from Screwfix,
although (as yet) I have no real clue of how many joists I'm putting
in, how far they'll be apart or how big they'll be...

I'm also trying to decide whether to...

1) Simply install the joists in 2 x 3.6m sections bolted together in
the middle (suspended above the existing beams) - spanning the 6.3m
width, that would give a 0.9m overlap for bolting...

OR

2) As above, but notch them into the main beams.

OR

3) Install joist hangers between the main beams and the walls. I.e.
the sections closest to the walls would be supported by the brickwork
and the main beams. The section in the middle would just be supported
by the main beams.

Option 1 would obviously be better for noise since the loft floor would
be totally isolated from the ceiling, however it would add quite a bit
of height to the floor.

Option 2 would save a couple of inches of floor height and would share
the load between the walls and beams, thereby reducing bounce in the
middle (I presume) - however noise isolation wouldn't be as good.

Option 3 would probably be the easiest but places much more load on the
main beams which (although seem to be incredibly sturdy) probably
aren't designed to support a floor.

???

Any other ideas?

A structural engineer is kindly popping 'round to check the situation
out in a couple of hours, so doubtless I'll come back with a whole
different plan... :-)

Cheers again,

Andy

Christian McArdle

Option 1 would obviously be better for noise since the loft floor would
be totally isolated from the ceiling, however it would add quite a bit
of height to the floor.

A quick play with SuperBeam in my unskilled hands suggests that a 6.3m span
would require either (assuming that you want a proper floor later suitable
for conversion). Assuming 30cm joist spacing:

a) 30mm x 300mm wooden joists

or

b) various steel sections such as
i) 100x100x8 square hollow section (thinnest)
ii) 160x80x4 rectangular hollow section (lightest)
iii) 178x102x19 universal beam (easiest to find)

The taller steel sections would have much less deflection than the wood,
whilst the 100 SHS solution is similar.

Your building control officer or structural engineer can make more accurate
calculations.

Christian.

Set Square

[...]

What a fascinating structure! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I agree with you that, the way the joist are supported, they are clearly
only designed to hold up the ceiling - which appears to be lath and plaster,
which is heavier than plasterboard, anyway.

With regard to bolting joist hangers to the walls, have you tried using a
good SDS drill - that should go through hard brick quite easily!

Good luck with your structural engineer.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm

First may I congratulate you on a very well put together posting and
synopsis! Makes it so much simpler to work out what is going on.

OK, cheers again for the replies. I spent another day in there
clearing crap out over the weekend (is 28kg of lead piping worth
anything? :-) ). Having hoovered out 11 bags of dust in the area of

Only if you take it to a scrap yard yourself... and then not that much.

For starters, here's a scale plan and elevation of the loft (Visio is
really starting to do my head in for this sort of stuff - can anyone
recommend a more 'appropriate' package for plans, elevations and (if
pos) 3D views?):-

I often ask myself that - there must be a package that is more oriented
toward building plans and layouts without going to full blown CAD. When
you find it let me know!

The main beams spanning the full loft are indeed bolted together in two
places, as can be seen he-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistbeam.jpg

OK - the previous deduction regarding trusses seems like it is about
right then. The two trusses hold the two big beams, they carry the ceiling.

...and the ceiling joists nailed into the main beam:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistbeam2.jpg

Lath and plaster ceiling - will reduce noise transmission a bit more
than plasterboard, but less likely to have acceptable fire performance
if doing a conversion. Not a big problem though.

So, by my understanding the ceiling joists are simply nailed into the
walls and beams in 6-7' sections, like this:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistevelwl.gif
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/joistelevbm.gif

...and if this is the case, no matter how sturdy it currently feels,
there's no way on earth I'm putting any weight on the existing ceiling
joists. New floor it is then! :-)

The truss design and beams it carries do indeed look strong. If they are
upto carrying a complete floor however is another matter. The ceiling
beams however look far less sturdy.

I was planning on using joist hangers mortared into the brickwork as
opposed to the 'bolt in' type since I've tried drilling these bricks
and they're like solid steel. Anything to avoid drilling 80 x 10mm (or
whatever) holes would be a bonus! Anyone have any experience of using
these? I was planning on using the Catnic 50x150 ones from Screwfix,

The "mortar in" types are really designed to be built into the wall
rather than added afterwards. Treat yourself to a nice SDS drill and the
bricks will loose any abilty to fight back!

although (as yet) I have no real clue of how many joists I'm putting
in, how far they'll be apart or how big they'll be...

Usual spacing for a floor is 400mm centre to centre.

The trickey bit is that you have no central supporting wall (hence the
unusual design of the roof). So the spans in either direction are rather
long. I would expect the simplest way would be one substantial beam
(probably a RSJ) right through the middle of the loft to which you can
then attach new floor beams (ther other end resting on the wall plate).

So in plan you get:-

##################### - back wall
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
*===================* - new RSJ
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
##################### - front wall

If you wanted to clear the space in the loft you would need to do away
with those king posts. The existing ceiling could be supported from the
new floor if required, and the large rafters could probably be left in
place since they mutually support each other. The struts that run from
the rafters to the base of the king beam could be replaced with a pair
of dwarf walls toward the front and back of the loft which would sit on
the new floor - or you may find thay are not actually required at all if
you remove the king post.

1) Simply install the joists in 2 x 3.6m sections bolted together in
the middle (suspended above the existing beams) - spanning the 6.3m
width, that would give a 0.9m overlap for bolting...

That would rely on the existing stucture to carry the load. You would
need your structural engineer to do some calcs to see if it is up to it.
It also depends a little on wether we are talking about adding storage
space, or actually doing a complete "floor" that would be suitable for a
loft conversion.

Option 1 would obviously be better for noise since the loft floor would
be totally isolated from the ceiling, however it would add quite a bit
of height to the floor.

You look like you have a fair bit of height available. If converting
(and say adding a rear dormer) that would make for a decent ceiling
height even with the raised floor level.

A structural engineer is kindly popping 'round to check the situation
out in a couple of hours, so doubtless I'll come back with a whole
different plan... :-)

Let us know what he says - it will be interesting to get his take on it.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

A quick play with SuperBeam in my unskilled hands suggests that a 6.3m span
would require either (assuming that you want a proper floor later suitable
for conversion). Assuming 30cm joist spacing:

a) 30mm x 300mm wooden joists

Was that a typo? seems like a skinny joist!

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

a) 30mm x 300mm wooden joists

Was that a typo? seems like a skinny joist!

Well spotted! That should be 50mm.

Christian.

jacob

For starters, here's a scale plan and elevation of the loft (Visio is
really starting to do my head in for this sort of stuff - can anyone
recommend a more 'appropriate' package for plans, elevations and (if
pos) 3D views?):-

I often ask myself that - there must be a package that is more
oriented toward building plans and layouts without going to full
blown CAD. When you find it let me know!

The package I have used for years is a pencil, rubber, T square,
drawing board, paper etc. I find its much quicker than any computer
prog and a fraction of the price. The drawings are somehow much more
readable too.
Recently bought a posh board with parallel motion 2nd hand - only £40.
so its even easier.

cheers

Jacob
RichardS

"jacob" wrote in message
om...
For starters, here's a scale plan and elevation of the loft (Visio is
really starting to do my head in for this sort of stuff - can anyone
recommend a more 'appropriate' package for plans, elevations and (if
pos) 3D views?):-

I often ask myself that - there must be a package that is more
oriented toward building plans and layouts without going to full
blown CAD. When you find it let me know!

The package I have used for years is a pencil, rubber, T square,
drawing board, paper etc. I find its much quicker than any computer
prog and a fraction of the price. The drawings are somehow much more
readable too.
Recently bought a posh board with parallel motion 2nd hand - only £40.
so its even easier.

good lord, you'll be telling us you don't use a router and a fancy jig for
mortises next ! ;-)

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Well, cheers for all the replies and comments - I'm somewhat of a
newbie on this group but, as I've got an entire house (well, flat) to
renovate, I can see me being quite a regular here! :-)

I agree on the SDS front - think I'll have to find some room in the
'renovation budget' for one of those... been meaning to get one for a
while now anyway.

I would expect the simplest way would be one substantial beam
(probably a RSJ) right through the middle of the loft

Unfortunately (I didn't show this on any of the plans for simplicity)
there's actually a bay window at the front of the house which may cause
some problems for supporting an RSJ - not sure - another structural
engineer question I think...

If you wanted to clear the space in the loft you would need to do

away
with those king posts.

Yeah - this would certainly be the preferred option since it would give
me over 600 square feet of open loft space... which would be nice. The
structural engineer (SE) suggested reinforcing the principal rafters
with steel 'U' shaped strips, which may provide enough support to
remove the cross-struts. Unfortunately he didn't want to guarantee
this without modelling it though - same goes for the king post (see SE
comments below)...

That would rely on the existing stucture to carry the load. You would
need your structural engineer to do some calcs to see if it is up to

it.
It also depends a little on wether we are talking about adding

storage
space, or actually doing a complete "floor" that would be suitable

for a
loft conversion.

Yeah - again, SE territory as you say. Initially the plan was to just
do the loft out for storage (we were going to get a full conversion
done until we found every quote was coming back at =A320k+ - plus, with
it being a flat, it would mean additional fire protection between the
ground and first floor, which would be a major pain in the arse). So
the plan now is to kit it out for storage initially with a view to
turning it into some sort of cinema / music / toy room later down the
line. So it would certainly make sense getting the floor sorted now...
it also gives me something to do while waiting for planning permission
etc. for some of our other projects. :-)

[SE] Let us know what he says - it will be interesting to get his

take on it.

Well, here goes!

Basically there's 3 stages to the whole project...

1=2E Fit the loft hatch
The SE was confident the loft hatch could be fitted into the existing
ceiling joists without compromising structural stability providing the
supporting joists at either end are doubled up.

2=2E Fitting a 'floor area' for storage
He was happy with a '1/6' section of the loft being devoted to storage
however a new floor would be required in this area - this would need to
be held in the wall by joist hangers on one side and rest on one of the
30' beams on the other... er, like this:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/storage.gif
It would require some structural calcs to ensure the beam can handle
the weight, but nothing too major - he reckoned around =A3100-=A3150 for
his time, and this would include specifying materials, design etc.

3=2E Full 'shell' conversion
Finally, he quoted around =A3350-400 to model a full shell conversion -
this would include removing all king posts and struts and putting a
brand new floor in place. He's fairly certain this would involve a
fair bit of steel work, but it would all be dependant on the computer
modelling to work out the cheapest / easiest way of doing things.

Just waiting to get the finalised quotes off him before proceeding -
think we might just have to go for option 2 for the moment since, in
the scheme of things, option 3 will be out of budget for now... at
least until we get the rest of the flat finished. Not sure yet...
Anyway, what do people know about soil pipes? :-)

Andy

Set Square

Anyway, what do people know about soil pipes? :-)

Andy

What do you want to know?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Rumm

I would expect the simplest way would be one substantial beam
(probably a RSJ) right through the middle of the loft

Unfortunately (I didn't show this on any of the plans for simplicity)
there's actually a bay window at the front of the house which may cause
some problems for supporting an RSJ - not sure - another structural
engineer question I think...

I was thinking about the RSJ running side to side rather than front to
back. The beams would then run front to RSJ and RSJ to back. Having the
bay window may complicate it a bit since the lintel over it may not be
up to the task of taking a floor load. I hade exactly the same issue to
solve on my place. I used a flitch beam as a stringer just in front of
the bay window lintel. That way I did not need to worry about if it
would be up to the job.

2. Fitting a 'floor area' for storage
He was happy with a '1/6' section of the loft being devoted to storage
however a new floor would be required in this area - this would need to
be held in the wall by joist hangers on one side and rest on one of the
30' beams on the other... er, like this:-
http://www.pciq.co.uk/pics/storage.gif

Look like a good plan. You could alternatively go for upto 4 smaller
areas at each corner in the same way if you need to store heavier stuff
(i.e. keeping it close to the edges)

3. Full 'shell' conversion
Finally, he quoted around £350-400 to model a full shell conversion -

Sounds fair... cost me 570 for full plans and calcs.

least until we get the rest of the flat finished. Not sure yet...
Anyway, what do people know about soil pipes? :-)

Round, pipey and full of **it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you... pecanfan UK diy 3 August 19th 04 06:54 PM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Gear cutting...am I crazy? (long) Glenn Lyford Metalworking 27 December 27th 03 06:39 AM
'Concealed' loft hatch John UK diy 2 November 13th 03 06:19 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM