steve

Default High level cistern flush too powerful

I have a problem with a new reproduction Victorian style high level cistern
installed above a bog, the bog and cistern are called a 'Savoy' if that
helps.
Problem is when I flush the cistern the head of water is so great that a few
splashes get outside on to the floor. The problem is minimised if the seat
is down, but knowing the inbuilt ability of the male species to leave the
seat up always - this is likely to be a problem.
The cistern is a 6 litre max flush, I have tried reducing the amount of
water in the tank to 4 litre via the Torbeck inlet valve but this doesn't
help much. I also can`t see an adjustment setting on the flush valve to slow
down the rate of water outlet to the bog once the chain is pulled.
The only solution I can think of is to reduce the height of the cistern, but
this would involve a lot of work & the cistern is meant to be at this height
anyway.
Has anyone had this problem before & if so how did they solve it ?

TIA
Steve

Lee

steve wrote:

[...]

If the problem is flow rate rather than the amount of head, as such,
maybe you could cobble together some sort of flow restricter in the
flush pipe? Maybe a rubber disc with holes or a piece of mesh?

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com
James Hart

steve wrote:
[...]

Can you add an obstruction into the pipe between the 2 to restrict the
flowrate?

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Andy Hall

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:14:04 -0000, "steve" wrote:

[...]

The easiest solution is to reduce the flow rate through the flush
pipe.

Disconnect it either at the pan or the cistern end and insert a
suitable reducer. Something made from a waste pipe blanking plug
that will fit inside the pipe ought to do it.

Experiment a little first to get the flow rate right, then you can fit
it in place with silicone sealant.

You hould be able to maintain the standard flush volume, but reducing
the rate will stop splashing, but just make the flush last a bit
longer.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl