N. Thornton

Default wooden ladders

Hi

What are the pros and cons of wooden ladders vs aluminium:
particularly with a 2 section ladder that can be used as:

single 8 ft ladder
2 section 15ft ladder
or stair work platform

I ask cos its about half the price.

Thanks, NT
Grunff

N. Thornton wrote:
Hi

What are the pros and cons of wooden ladders vs aluminium:
particularly with a 2 section ladder that can be used as:

single 8 ft ladder
2 section 15ft ladder
or stair work platform

I ask cos its about half the price.

They're heaview then aluminium, don't last as long, and don't take abuse
as easily.

For long sections, such as my 5m 2 section ladder, a wooden version
would simply be too heavy to carry on your own.

--
Grunff
N. Thornton

Grunff wrote in message ...
N. Thornton wrote:

Hi

What are the pros and cons of wooden ladders vs aluminium:
particularly with a 2 section ladder that can be used as:

single 8 ft ladder
2 section 15ft ladder
or stair work platform

I ask cos its about half the price.

They're heaview then aluminium, don't last as long, and don't take abuse
as easily.

For long sections, such as my 5m 2 section ladder, a wooden version
would simply be too heavy to carry on your own.

Thanks Grunff. This is a 16 footer, 5m, and its no problem to carry -
though it is a fair bit heavier than ali. But seeing as I'm not using
it day in day out, or lugging it half way round the country, I dont
see it as a problem.

It just struck me that almost all ladders sold now are ali, despite
the big price difference, so I wondered if there was some 'no' about
wood - but I cant find any problem with it.

Thanks, NT
Andrew Mawson

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Grunff wrote in message

N. Thornton wrote:

[...]

An advantage of a wooden ladder is that it will usually give fair warning
before failing, and do so with a few creaks and groans, whereas an aluminium
ladder (if overloaded) can fail immediately.

That said mines alloy and I've had it 30 years !

Andrew Mawson

T i m

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 07:57:43 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

N. Thornton wrote:

Hi

What are the pros and cons of wooden ladders vs aluminium:
particularly with a 2 section ladder that can be used as:

They're heaview then aluminium, don't last as long, and don't take abuse
as easily.

For long sections, such as my 5m 2 section ladder, a wooden version
would simply be too heavy to carry on your own.

It just struck me that almost all ladders sold now are ali, despite
the big price difference, so I wondered if there was some 'no' about
wood - but I cant find any problem with it.

An advantage of a wooden ladder is that it will usually give fair warning
before failing, and do so with a few creaks and groans, whereas an aluminium
ladder (if overloaded) can fail immediately.

[T] Some more thoughs.

Pro: A wooden ladder is less likely to get stolen (no scrap or second
user value)

Con: A wooden ladder won't be happy if left outside in the rain for
30 years ..

Con: A wooden ladder is less likely to have special 'feet'.

Con: I wouldn't want to get a wooden ladder up onto a roof.

Con: A wooden ladder is more likely to dent yer car roof whilst
getting it on the roofrack!

Pro: It makes a good bonfire when you are fed up with it ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Wooden vs uPVC door dilemma! Simon UK diy 10 November 12th 03 09:42 PM
Wooden worktops Jon Brooke UK diy 10 October 3rd 03 02:07 AM
Ladders David W.E. Roberts UK diy 7 August 11th 03 08:38 PM