Lawrie

Default Bath sealant

Can anyone help, please.

I have just resealed my bath as the old sealant looked horrible and was very
thick.
I thought I had done a pretty good job with a much smaller and neater line
of sealant.

Now I find that after using the shower, a line of water lies on the sealant
because the inner edge of the bath next to the wall curves down so that my
small line of sealant is lower than the side of the bath. ( I had foolishly
assumed that the edge of a bath next to the wall would be horizontal in
order to avoid this but I suppose this means having baths left or
right-handed.

My question is; can you put more sealant on top of existing sealant to
build it up, and is there any easy way of smoothing it out to make sure that
you don't get any part lower than the side of the bath to avoid pools of
water.

Lawrie

Michael Mcneil

"Lawrie" wrote in message

I have just resealed my bath as the old sealant looked horrible and was very
thick.

My question is; can you put more sealant on top of existing sealant to
build it up, and is there any easy way of smoothing it out to make sure that
you don't get any part lower than the side of the bath to avoid pools of
water.

Now you know why the old one looked so bad. Your best bet is to find a
nicely shaped bit of beading that will run the length you need and bed
it in sealant. Otherwise build up some grout into a large enough bead
and make a suitble profile for scraping it to an accepable finish. A
piece of pipe perhaps, or a steel ball on a stick.

Andy Hall

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:36:40 -0000, "Lawrie"
wrote:

[...]

You can overlay sealant as long as it is silicone and not acrylic
(smells like vinegar when curing) and has only been done in the last
few days. Make sure it's dry and clear of any soap etc.

However, to be honest, it would be a better job to start again.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:43:04 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

Now you know why the old one looked so bad. Your best bet is to find a
nicely shaped bit of beading that will run the length you need and bed
it in sealant. Otherwise build up some grout into a large enough bead
and make a suitble profile for scraping it to an accepable finish. A
piece of pipe perhaps, or a steel ball on a stick.

Another option is to add some quarter-round tiles along the edge.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Stuart

wrote:

[...]

I had a problem with a large gap between my bath and wall and I found in
Homebase a piece of plastic (?) trim which was big enough to bridge the
gap between wall and bath and I fixed it with silicon at an angle . I cut
it with a compound mitre saw because of the join at the two sides of the
bact and also because it was lying at an angle . That solution worked very
well. I think the trim is made bt Trent ( ? _ an dis probably made for
finishing above a row of tiles . This might offer you a neater solution
Stuart.

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "