nog

Default How long for concrete to go off ...

.... before being able to skim with a self-levelling screed?
This weekend, as part of the kitchen floor improvement project, I dug out
the former hearth bed that was higher than the rest of the (wooden) floor,
and laid an all-in-one concrete mix to bring it to just below the level of
the rest of the floor.
I have some Feb self-levelling stuff that I plan to use to finish the job
so how long to I need to leave the concrete to go off before applying the
top screed?

TIA,

--
Peter
nog

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:08:31 +0100, nog wrote:

... before being able to skim with a self-levelling screed?
This weekend, as part of the kitchen floor improvement project, I dug out
the former hearth bed that was higher than the rest of the (wooden) floor,
and laid an all-in-one concrete mix to bring it to just below the level of
the rest of the floor.
I have some Feb self-levelling stuff that I plan to use to finish the job
so how long to I need to leave the concrete to go off before applying the
top screed?

Three weeks to be on the safe side.

The Natural Philosopher

G. Natural wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 07:11:21 +0100, nog wrote:

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:08:31 +0100, nog wrote:

... before being able to skim with a self-levelling screed?
This weekend, as part of the kitchen floor improvement project, I dug out
the former hearth bed that was higher than the rest of the (wooden) floor,
and laid an all-in-one concrete mix to bring it to just below the level of
the rest of the floor.
I have some Feb self-levelling stuff that I plan to use to finish the job
so how long to I need to leave the concrete to go off before applying the
top screed?

Three weeks to be on the safe side?

A month minimum.

I don't think you need wait at all. Concrete sets, it doesn't dry. Well
it does, but that's just another issue.

You should however leave the SCREED a long time before putting anything
that may be damage by damp, over it.

Rob Graham

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
G. Natural wrote:

[...]

I agree with NP - you can walk on concrete within 24 hours; walk not
dance, etc. And if you can do that you can lay the screed. The
process of concrete 'drying' is incredibly long - 20 to 30 years by
which time it has actually gone back to being 'stone'.

Rob