DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Covering worktop with Fablon (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/6422-covering-worktop-fablon.html)

Rachel February 24th 04 07:51 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

Hi there,

We are renovating our house as we go along, we have put new doors on
the existing carcass of our kitchen, and they look great.

One problem we have is the worktops, really out of date and naf
looking. We can't afford to replace all the worktops yet, as the
cooker fits into the corner of one of them and they we can't get the
depth without ordering it, and it is going to cost quite a lot....

My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

If so, how was it? Does it still look ok, and is it a good idea.

Obviously we realise that we would have to be careful with the surface
with sharp objects etc .. but nothing can be as bad as it looks at
the moment.

There are some quite nice patterns available these days too :-)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Rachel

Lee February 24th 04 08:00 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

Rachel wrote:

snip

My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

The owner of the next door flat did this prior to letting it and yes,
it does look as bad as it sounds.
Fits in well with the state of the rest of his flat though. :)

It may look ok for a little while though, if you are careful about
applying it and what you put on it...

Lee

--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

dmc February 24th 04 08:09 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

In article ,
Rachel wrote:

My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

As in the sticky back plastic stuff? Can't see that lasting long
at all if I'm thinking of the right stuff.

A friend when presented with a similar problem fitted a thin hardwood
strip along the front of the worktop to square it off and tiled onto
the worktop with cheap white tiles (the type that are 3 quid per acre
in Wickes etc). Looked surprisingly good and lasted several years. I seem
to remember him using some special grout that didn't get so dirty though -
I'm sure others on here could advise.

Tiled worktops can be a bit of a nightmare but if the one you have is
really that bad it maybe worth a try. Certainly I would have thought
it would be better than sticky back plastic (if fablon isn't sticky
back plastic then ignore me :-))!

Darren

Owain February 24th 04 11:18 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

"Rachel" wrote
| My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering
| the existing worktops using FABLON ?

s/FABLON/sticky-back-plastic because I might not have been using the
authentic trademarked stuff.

Yes. And cupboard fronts.

| If so, how was it?

Vile.

| Does it still look ok,

No.

| and is it a good idea.

No.

| Obviously we realise that we would have to be careful with the surface
| with sharp objects etc .. but nothing can be as bad as it looks at
| the moment.

Sticky-back-plastic works okay for things that have *very light* use. I've
had very good results converting a bedside chest of drawers from white to
"pine" and changing the knobs to brass.

However, it seems to shrink after a while leaving sticky edges, it is
difficult to get edges to stick down, and any 3-dimesnional curves go
wrinkly. joints are an absolute no-no.

If your worktops are square edged you might be able to just stick new
laminate on the top and front edge.

Owain

Jeremy February 25th 04 01:58 PM

(Rachel) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Is tiling them an option?

Lobster February 25th 04 01:59 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

(dmc) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Rachel wrote:

My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

As in the sticky back plastic stuff? Can't see that lasting long
at all if I'm thinking of the right stuff.

Agree!

How about Formica (if you can still buy it)? I remember doing the
same job a few years ago using this, bought from B&Q I think? It's
quite thick and durable, needs to be cut very carefully with a fine
saw, and is glued down with Evostik or similar.

David

PoP February 25th 04 03:26 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

On 25 Feb 2004 05:59:25 -0800,
(Lobster) wrote:

How about Formica (if you can still buy it)? I remember doing the
same job a few years ago using this, bought from B&Q I think? It's
quite thick and durable, needs to be cut very carefully with a fine
saw, and is glued down with Evostik or similar.

I haven't seen formica in many years, but I remember my father doing a
whole kitchen with it.

I thought that you scored and snapped it? I might be wrong though!

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at
http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

Andy Hall February 25th 04 05:50 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:26:13 +0000, PoP wrote:

On 25 Feb 2004 05:59:25 -0800,
(Lobster) wrote:

How about Formica (if you can still buy it)? I remember doing the
same job a few years ago using this, bought from B&Q I think? It's
quite thick and durable, needs to be cut very carefully with a fine
saw, and is glued down with Evostik or similar.

I haven't seen formica in many years, but I remember my father doing a
whole kitchen with it.

I thought that you scored and snapped it? I might be wrong though!

It's obtainable and useful in certain applications.

A good trimming method is a router with trimming cutter - i.e. ball
race on the bottom.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

PoP February 25th 04 08:16 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:50:20 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

A good trimming method is a router with trimming cutter - i.e. ball
race on the bottom.

Back in the 60's when the design objectives for B&Q hadn't yet taken
shape in the scrotum of its originator routers weren't exactly the
routine tool a DIYer acquired. A simple electric drill and sander was
about it. I just have this vision of Dad doing the formica by scribing
and snapping - but I'm still not sure if this is right!

PoP

-----

Andy Hall February 25th 04 09:00 PM

wrote:

A good trimming method is a router with trimming cutter - i.e. ball
race on the bottom.

Back in the 60's when the design objectives for B&Q hadn't yet taken
shape in the scrotum of its originator routers weren't exactly the
routine tool a DIYer acquired.

That seminal moment had not taken place.

A simple electric drill and sander was
about it. I just have this vision of Dad doing the formica by scribing
and snapping - but I'm still not sure if this is right!

That was how it was done and it's still effective. The other tool
was something like a Surform to clean up the edges.

PoP

Simon Avery February 26th 04 03:18 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

(Rachel) wrote:

Hello Rachel

R| My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering
R| the existing worktops using FABLON ?

Yes. Done this in several shops where they get very heavy use.

R| If so, how was it? Does it still look ok, and is it a good
R| idea.

It lasts very well as long as you're reasonably careful.

Looks? All down to taste. Easy enough to change if you don't like it
or you do damage it provided you don't use too aggressive an adhesive.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ:

Rick Dipper February 28th 04 07:21 PM

On 24 Feb 2004 11:51:29 -0800, (Rachel) wrote:
Hi there,

We are renovating our house as we go along, we have put new doors on
the existing carcass of our kitchen, and they look great.

One problem we have is the worktops, really out of date and naf
looking. We can't afford to replace all the worktops yet, as the
cooker fits into the corner of one of them and they we can't get the
depth without ordering it, and it is going to cost quite a lot....

My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

If so, how was it? Does it still look ok, and is it a good idea.

Obviously we realise that we would have to be careful with the surface
with sharp objects etc .. but nothing can be as bad as it looks at
the moment.

There are some quite nice patterns available these days too :-)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Sir

For cheep and cheefull I would use Plywood, Fablon sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Rick

pollywolly January 16th 15 06:44 PM

replying to Rachel, pollywolly wrote:
rwallis wrote:

[...]

We did ours 3 years ago and its still like new, we chose a nice green. The
cupboards are white so it looked good and still does so for 28 pounds
itsvwas a bargain.

Murmansk January 16th 15 07:18 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

I've seen some Fablon-like stuff being applied to car bodies - I think there was a vehicle on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces on which they used it and it cost a fortune but made it look very good.

I think it was a Land Rover being used as an outdoor cocktail bar.

[email protected] January 16th 15 08:01 PM

On Friday, January 16, 2015 at 7:18:03 PM UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I've seen some Fablon-like stuff being applied to car bodies - I think there was a vehicle on George Clarke's Amazing Spaces on which they used it and it cost a fortune but made it look very good.

I think it was a Land Rover being used as an outdoor cocktail bar.

But on wood it peels & splits with time. The adhesive picks up lots of dirt.... gross.

NT

Tim Watts[_3_] January 16th 15 08:18 PM

rwallis wrote:

[...]

We used to do that in the 80's - it generally works really quite well.
Shelves and also tarted up a small freezer that looked a bit sad. If you
clean the surface with a good degreaser (sugar soap if it is greasy
would work best) it should last for many years.

[email protected] January 16th 15 08:43 PM

rwallis wrote:

[...]

Worktops last much longer though, and have a harder life.

NT

harryagain[_2_] January 17th 15 07:56 AM

Covering worktop with Fablon

"pollywolly" wrote in
message roups.com...
rwallis wrote:

[...]

Didn't know you could still get Fablon.
I used it years ago, As you applied it, it stretched. Over time it then
recovered leaving gaps.
Seemed to stick OK on smooth surfaces

harryagain[_2_] January 17th 15 07:58 AM

rwallis wrote:

[...]

Yes, it's very thin.
Definitely not suitable for a wearing surface.

Dennis@home January 17th 15 08:20 AM

Covering worktop with Fablon

On 17/01/2015 07:56, harryagain wrote:
"pollywolly" wrote in
message roups.com...
rwallis wrote:

[...]

What do you think they wrap cars in when they do a custom wrap?
Its the same stuff, you heat set it which fixes it so it doesn't shrink.
You can watch them going around with a heat gun and IR thermometer if
you know where they do it.

[email protected] January 17th 15 12:31 PM

On Tuesday, 24 February 2004 19:51:30 UTC, Rachel wrote:
My question is : Has anyone had any experience of covering the
existing worktops using FABLON ?

Fablon type sticky-back-plastic won't be anywhere near hard-wearing enough.

Alternatives might be:

linoleum
http://www.svane.com/svane---uk/fors.../linoleum.aspx
http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/...inoleum/bt4vgq
http://www.tsbooker.co.uk/Worktops/L..._worktops.html

tile over it with worktop tiles and waterproof grout

surface over it with stainless steel

If it's just the cooker area that is going to need expensive special worktop, you could cost up getting that done in steel by a fabricator and use cheap ordinary worktop for the rest. Cheap ordinary worktop is probably cheaper than anything else.

You can also of course buy melamine laminate on its own and apply to the existing worktops, especially if you can de-assemble them rather than relaminating in situ.

Owain

Adam Aglionby January 17th 15 12:43 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

Car wrap really ain`t the same as the horrendous crap once available as Fablon.

Top end is 3M Di-Noc but there are a lot of alternatives:

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/vehiclewrapping.asp

Great decorative finishes that take to wood just fine, your right in that they don`t shrink back, also air-release liners that mean less chasing the bubbles..

Decorative rather than wearing, how do you think cupboard fronts are done.

Fridge wraps are becoming popular.

Tim+[_2_] January 17th 15 03:06 PM

rwallis wrote:

[...]

11 years ago I bet Rachel would have been interested in your reply.

Always worth checking the date of any message you're replying to on groups
Google.

Tim

polygonum January 17th 15 04:17 PM

rwallis wrote:

[...]

Almost long enough for the answer to include Contact self-adhesive vinyl
from Woolworths... :-)

--
Rod

[email protected] January 17th 15 05:16 PM

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:31:27 PM UTC, wrote:
[...]

Surely lino is rapidly damaged by hot pans

NT

newshound January 17th 15 08:38 PM

On 17/01/2015 17:16, wrote:
[...]

Melamine (e.g. Formica) is quite heat resistant (unlike genuine lino or
the modern vinyl replacement). I havn't seen Formica for ages but it is
(or used to be) a good fix for shelves, worktops, or work benches which
see heavy duty. No good on modern style radiussed worktops though.

Chris French January 17th 15 09:01 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

In message ,
newshound writes

http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/...urniture-linol
[...]

Formica is still around.

apparently is was 100 years old in 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...n-blog/2013/ja
n/17/formica-turns-100

And I know the original post is ancient, but I'd probably just replace
the worktops rather than bother covering them with formica
--
Chris French

fred[_8_] January 20th 15 11:25 AM

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 8:38:49 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 17/01/2015 17:16, wrote:
[...]

Melamine is NOT Formica

charles January 20th 15 11:52 AM

Covering worktop with Fablon

wrote:
[...]

Formica is a trade name for a form of Melamine.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

michael adams[_8_] January 20th 15 12:02 PM

On 17/01/2015 17:16, wrote:
[...]

While Formica is still in business what probably did for it was the
fact that they manufactured their decorative laminate sheets in so
many different patterns and colours. Which may have been economical
at some point but was hit by the rise of the modular kitchen
manufacturers who made their own. So that their prices nowadays
are a lot higher relative to other materials than was formerly the
case as they mainly serve a niche market who are willing to pay
high prices so as to be different from everybody else.
They even do a range Younique allowing buyers to design
their own.

Melamine is NOT Formica

It's been used for the surface veneer though, since 1938.

When it was invented Formica used bakelite resin as a bonding
agent and surface veneer using layers of fabric as a filler.
From 1938 onwards it used melanine resin as a bonding
agent and surface veneer, using kraft paper as a filler.
Which presumably accounts for the brown colour.
Melamine was chosen because of its heat, abrasion
and moisture resistance and the same would apply
to any material coated with melamine.

michael adams

fred[_8_] January 20th 15 12:11 PM

On 17/01/2015 17:16, wrote:
[...]

From 1938 onwards it used melanine resin as a bonding
agent and surface veneer, using kraft paper as a filler.
Which presumably accounts for the brown colour.
Melamine was chosen because of its heat, abrasion
and moisture resistance and the same would apply
to any material coated with melamine.

michael adams

My beef was that melamine veneers as generally applied to chipboard or mdf are literally paper thin as opposed to formica which is relatively thick The pattern on malamine will eventually wear away whereas Formica is pretty indestructible in normal use.

High Pressure Laminate appears to be the new poster boy in this area

michael adams[_8_] January 20th 15 12:57 PM

On 17/01/2015 17:16, wrote:
[...]

From 1938 onwards it used melanine resin as a bonding
agent and surface veneer, using kraft paper as a filler.
Which presumably accounts for the brown colour.
Melamine was chosen because of its heat, abrasion
and moisture resistance and the same would apply
to any material coated with melamine.

michael adams

My beef was that melamine veneers as generally applied to chipboard
or mdf are literally paper thin as opposed to formica which is
relatively thick The pattern on malamine will eventually wear
away whereas Formica is pretty indestructible in normal use.

Indeed its galling to see perfectly serviceable*Formica laminate
on tables etc being sent to landfill. All for the lack of a
solvent to get it off cleanly and the problem of being stuck
with the tables

*Serviceable for workshop purposes at least.

High Pressure Laminate appears to be the new poster boy in this area

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see
that many granite worktops, being handed down from mother to
daughter, down the generations.

michael adams

Syd Rumpo[_2_] January 20th 15 03:03 PM

Covering worktop with Fablon

On 17/01/2015 21:01, Chris French wrote:

snip

Formica is still around.

apparently is was 100 years old in 2013

And it was originally intended to be a substitute for mica.

NALOPKT

Cheers
--
Syd

michael adams[_8_] January 20th 15 11:34 PM

"Syd Rumpo" wrote in message ...
On 17/01/2015 21:01, Chris French wrote:

snip

Formica is still around.

apparently is was 100 years old in 2013

And it was originally intended to be a substitute for mica.

NALOPKT

So it's not made of crushed ants (Formicidae) then ?

michael adams

[email protected] January 21st 15 12:24 AM

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:58:21 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see

So what. Keep it long enough & it'll come back in fashion.

NT

michael adams[_8_] January 21st 15 12:40 AM

wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:58:21 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see

So what. Keep it long enough & it'll come back in fashion.

25 years of constant earache, just so as to be proved right,
all along ?

michael adams

[email protected] January 21st 15 07:54 AM

On Wednesday, January 21, 2015 at 12:41:21 AM UTC, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:58:21 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see

So what. Keep it long enough & it'll come back in fashion.

25 years of constant earache, just so as to be proved right,
all along ?

25? The last kitchen was over a century old.
Fashion is meaningless. The exact same item is fashionable, then not, then fashionable, etc. Just a way to get people to throw out what they bought and buy again. Why choose to follow it.

NT

Rod Speed January 21st 15 08:23 AM

wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:58:21 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see

So what. Keep it long enough & it'll come back in fashion.

25 years of constant earache, just so as to be proved right,
all along ?

25? The last kitchen was over a century old.
Fashion is meaningless. The exact same item is fashionable,
then not, then fashionable, etc. Just a way to get people to throw
out what they bought and buy again. Why choose to follow it.

We do however see significant improvements on the technology
available over that sort of time and it can be worth using.

Tim Lamb[_2_] January 21st 15 08:34 AM

Covering worktop with Fablon

In message , michael adams
writes

wrote in message
On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 12:58:21 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:

Nowadays most kitchens will probably go out of style before
the laminate shows any signs of wear. Similarly I can't see

So what. Keep it long enough & it'll come back in fashion.

25 years of constant earache, just so as to be proved right,
all along ?

20 years and counting:-(

The expectation appears to be that a sufficient application of money
will neatly house all the kit that cannot be fitted into the existing
space.....

--
Tim Lamb

Mike Clarke January 21st 15 09:15 AM

On 21/01/2015 08:34, Tim Lamb wrote:
20 years and counting:-(

The expectation appears to be that a sufficient application of money
will neatly house all the kit that cannot be fitted into the existing
space.....

.... and free up enough space to acquire yet more kit.

--
Mike Clarke