Dougie Nisbet

Default Planning Permission for a conservatory

I don't think we need planning permission for a conservatory we're
thinking about getting built. But, dumb questions, assuming I want to just
to be on the safe side, how do I go about getting planning permission?
I've no idea where to start.

Dougie

Andy Hall

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:56:41 +0100, Dougie Nisbet
wrote:

I don't think we need planning permission for a conservatory we're
thinking about getting built. But, dumb questions, assuming I want to just
to be on the safe side, how do I go about getting planning permission?
I've no idea where to start.

Dougie

Look up the planning web page on your local authority site and there
will typically be a section on conservatories there listing all the
things that need to be done (mainly size limits, location and what is
already there) to avoid the need for bureaucratic involvement.

There is a similar thing for building control with different
parameters, but again one can easily be exempt.

Otherwise look on the site of another authority - there are plenty
with this information.

The only significant exception is if there is a conservation area
issue or a specific restriction to permitted development to the
property. For that, contact your local authority.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dougie Nisbet

wrote:

[...]

fantastic. on the case. Thanks

Dougie

Biggles

Conservatory suppliers and erectors usually have the local knowledge needed.
When you get quotes, ask for advice on this and they should also know who to
contact at your local planning dept if you need further confirmation.

wrote:

[...]

Hugo Nebula

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:56:41 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Dougie Nisbet randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

I don't think we need planning permission for a conservatory we're
thinking about getting built. But, dumb questions, assuming I want to just
to be on the safe side, how do I go about getting planning permission?
I've no idea where to start.

Most extensions up to a certain size are "permitted development"
(i.e., no express permission needs to be applied for), although there
are a number of exceptions. You can't apply for permission if it's
not needed. Conservatories are usually exempt from the Building
Regulations, although the criteria is not the same as for Planning.

The best thing to do is to write to the Planning Dept with the details
& sizes of your proposed conservatory and ask them to confirm that it
doesn't need permission. Same thing applies to the Building
Regulations, but write seperately. It's fatal to assume that both
departments talk to each other.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants

G&M

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
The best thing to do is to write to the Planning Dept with the details
& sizes of your proposed conservatory and ask them to confirm that it
doesn't need permission. Same thing applies to the Building
Regulations, but write seperately. It's fatal to assume that both
departments talk to each other.

Especially if you are in one of the National Parks or other similar areas
where planning and conservation is the National Park authority but building
control is with the local council.

Ian Middleton

"G&M" wrote in message

"Hugo Nebula" wrote in message
The best thing to do is to write to the Planning Dept with the details
& sizes of your proposed conservatory and ask them to confirm that it
doesn't need permission. Same thing applies to the Building
Regulations, but write seperately. It's fatal to assume that both
departments talk to each other.

Especially if you are in one of the National Parks or other similar areas
where planning and conservation is the National Park authority but

building
control is with the local council.

Our builders would not start the conservatory until they had seen the letter
from the Council Planning Department confirming that planning persmission
was not required.

Josie Milton

I thought all conservatories now (since April 2004) required PP?

IMM

"Josie Milton" wrote in message

I thought all conservatories now (since April 2004) required PP?

New to me. Contact your local council as they will usually supply a leaflet
on conservatories.