Rick Dipper

Default insulating a wall

I am working out the next stage of my build, hence all the questions.

I want to use ceotex insulation in the partial fill cavity. from what
I can find you are supposed to build the inner wall, then use the wall
ties and special clips to hld the insulation on the inner wall, as you
build the outer.

I have allrady got the outer wall, its stone, I can't take it down, so
I am building the inner. I am not using normal ties, I have to drill
into the existing wall, and screw ties into the holes.

How do I hole the celotex sheets against the inner wall as a build it
? I was thinking os some sort of T shape thing I pull through the
boards and cement in.

Selfbuild to me is me actually doing the work, not simply paying some
other guy to do it while I watch.

Thanks
Rick

Lobster

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message

I want to use ceotex insulation in the partial fill cavity. from what
I can find you are supposed to build the inner wall, then use the wall
ties and special clips to hld the insulation on the inner wall, as you
build the outer.

I have allrady got the outer wall, its stone, I can't take it down, so
I am building the inner. I am not using normal ties, I have to drill
into the existing wall, and screw ties into the holes.

How do I hole the celotex sheets against the inner wall as a build it
? I was thinking os some sort of T shape thing I pull through the
boards and cement in.

ISTR seeing a pack of something looking just like that in Wickes yesterday -
white plastic rods around 6 inches long, with a T at one end. Pack said
something about insulation. I didn't absorb all details as I wasn't
shopping for insulation stuff at the time!

David

G&M

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
I am working out the next stage of my build, hence all the questions.

I want to use ceotex insulation in the partial fill cavity. from what
I can find you are supposed to build the inner wall, then use the wall
ties and special clips to hld the insulation on the inner wall, as you
build the outer.

I have allrady got the outer wall, its stone, I can't take it down, so
I am building the inner. I am not using normal ties, I have to drill
into the existing wall, and screw ties into the holes.

How do I hole the celotex sheets against the inner wall as a build it
? I was thinking os some sort of T shape thing I pull through the
boards and cement in.

Have you looked at the guides on the Kingspan site or in their booklet.
These cover most eventualities though I haven't checked if yours is there.

The Natural Philosopher

Rick Dipper wrote:

I am working out the next stage of my build, hence all the questions.

I want to use ceotex insulation in the partial fill cavity. from what
I can find you are supposed to build the inner wall, then use the wall
ties and special clips to hld the insulation on the inner wall, as you
build the outer.

I have allrady got the outer wall, its stone, I can't take it down, so
I am building the inner. I am not using normal ties, I have to drill
into the existing wall, and screw ties into the holes.

How do I hole the celotex sheets against the inner wall as a build it
? I was thinking os some sort of T shape thing I pull through the
boards and cement in.

Selfbuild to me is me actually doing the work, not simply paying some
other guy to do it while I watch.

Thanks
Rick

You don't.

You put your studs up - making sure there is a DPM between them and the
stonework if it gets damp - and then cut sheets of celotex to fit
between them, and use the aluminium foil tape to tape to the studs to
make a the whole draughtproof . Leave any gap on the OUTSIDE of the
celotex - this is where a little air ciurculation can help to prevent
damp build up.

Then nail internal cladding over studs.

Mak sure you have pipes and wires well in place before all this tho.

Rick Dipper

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:58:02 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
.. .
I am working out the next stage of my build, hence all the questions.

I want to use ceotex insulation in the partial fill cavity. from what
I can find you are supposed to build the inner wall, then use the wall
ties and special clips to hld the insulation on the inner wall, as you
build the outer.

I have allrady got the outer wall, its stone, I can't take it down, so
I am building the inner. I am not using normal ties, I have to drill
into the existing wall, and screw ties into the holes.

How do I hole the celotex sheets against the inner wall as a build it
? I was thinking os some sort of T shape thing I pull through the
boards and cement in.

Have you looked at the guides on the Kingspan site or in their booklet.
These cover most eventualities though I haven't checked if yours is there.

Thanks I'll check it out, all my local suppliers sell celotex, so I
read their site.

Rick

Rick Dipper

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 20:08:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Rick Dipper wrote:

[...]

Good idea but my wall inner is made from block, and it will hold the
roof up, the outer stone wall is more "decorative". This is the
compramise between the planning man who won't let the outer wall come
down, and the building regs who declared it not suitable for holding
things up. The roof sits on the inner wall will overhang by a couple
of foot to go over the outer stone wall.

This is one situation where a "big storm" would be most welcome. I
under mined the stone wall by two foot, not a single mm of movement -
drat !!

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Rick Dipper wrote:

[...]

Why not use rockwool then, stuffed in between? Unless its a very narrow
gap, and you can't get the insulation any other way...

I mus say I'de probably build the wall, stuff celotex behind it from
above and sling a tube of expanding foam behind it as you build.

Last bit of wall, simply prop board up,build wall then drill through
block and celotex and inject foam behind it all.

That should keep it in its place!

IMM

wrote:

Rick Dipper wrote:

[...]

Why not paint the inside of the stone wall with waterproof bitumen paint.
Then put the insulation against this. then the block or timber frame wall.
Then there will be no water penetration onto the insulation and no need for
an air gap. Put in as much insulation as you can, it all adds up. Having
large roof overhangs prevents rain from saturating the walls to a large
degree. They also look good too, and make a house stand out.

Use fermacell prefinished plaster board sheets. Strong enough to hang
cupboards off them and very solid. http://www.fermacell.co.uk. they have
some pdf's on how it is installed etc.

Rick Dipper

wrote:

Rick Dipper wrote:

[...]

The old stone wall is far from straight, the "air gap" will vary from
25mm to 150mm (or more)

I wanted to use sheeps wool, its cheep, the house being in the middle
of a sheep farm - but alas ........

I could adapt your plan, and use the expanding foam as glue to glue
the celotex to the blocks as I go, I can wedge them with wood while it
dries and remove the wood - solution - thank you verty much sir....

Rick

Rick Dipper

wrote:

Rick Dipper wrote:

[...]

ba is for black sheep, remember the rhyme "ba ba black sheep"
white sheep go "cheep cheep"
welsh sheep say something unpronouncable by english people, causing
welsh people much ammusement.

Rick