Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default any good?

anybody got one of these ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autool-BT...53.m1438.l2649
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good. I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 12 July 2019 10:10:56 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good. I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

Measure oc battery voltage
Measure battery resistance
Measure cranking voltage
Calculate cranking current

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:10:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good.

A mate has a more expensive one that he considers to be good.

I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

For charging I believe they monitor the 'lift' in voltage from loaded
with engine off to with it running.

I like how they describe the DB15 connector as an OBD connector. ;-)

If there is *any* sort of current carried up the fairly heavy leads,
I'm guessing they must have wired the DB15 plug and socket with
multiple pins shorted each side / end?

Such a tool might be 'ok' for people who don't know how to use a DMM
as I'm not sure how useful most of the other things that you couldn't
do with a DMM are?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 10:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good. I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

nor do I .....

but scotty kilmer recommends it so must be ok....he is never wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0it4oLUUs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good.

A mate has a more expensive one that he considers to be good.

I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

For charging I believe they monitor the 'lift' in voltage from loaded
with engine off to with it running.

I like how they describe the DB15 connector as an OBD connector. ;-)

If there is *any* sort of current carried up the fairly heavy leads,
I'm guessing they must have wired the DB15 plug and socket with
multiple pins shorted each side / end?

Such a tool might be 'ok' for people who don't know how to use a DMM
as I'm not sure how useful most of the other things that you couldn't
do with a DMM are?

Cheers, T i m

Internal battery resistance is key to starting ability & is a way to measure battery ageing. So you can use that to assess usefulness of out-of-car batteries. Once fitted, cranking voltage is adequate to give some idea of startability, though it's no precise guide. Some oldies give the battery a real hard time during starting, and some modern diesels require high cranking voltage to start at all.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 03:05:52 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

Such a tool might be 'ok' for people who don't know how to use a DMM
as I'm not sure how useful most of the other things that you couldn't
do with a DMM are?

Internal battery resistance is key to starting ability & is a way to measure battery ageing.

Sure, but who would use that and when? 'Most people' just start their
cars until they don't start, then give it to a garage (or call their
breakdown service) and garages are likely to have better tools in any
case?

So you can use that to assess usefulness of out-of-car batteries.
Once fitted, cranking voltage is adequate to give some idea of startability, though it's no precise guide.

I have a discharge tester for that. Not a lot beats them for a RW
test. I also have a ACT capacity tester but rarely take any notice of
anything other than the capacity reading.

Some oldies give the battery a real hard time during starting, and some modern diesels require high cranking voltage to start at all.

Quite ... and if it no longer starts your car you get a new battery
[1] and this could be 35 quid towards it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Or we would do some diagnostics with a DMM / battery charger
ourselves first (assuming no other tools). Cranking voltage, charging
voltage (on and off the vehicle) and even the charging time (from
supposedly flat) gives some big clues (as to the capacity).

p.s. Whenever I've tried to take a functional battery back within
warranty because of capacity loss, I've found it very hard to persuade
them that it is now way off what it should be. Basically, if it isn't
'faulty' they often consider it ok. I guess they might consider
capacity loss 'wear and tear' but it could also be some disconnected
plates, especially with sealed batteries when you can't see in each
cell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 11:27, T i m wrote:
[...]

but some experts think you drive old bangers with dodgy batteries so
nice to have...the RAC did mine with something similar when i left my
lights on overnight at a hospital...I was quite impressed apart from
feeling like he was wanting to sell me a new battery.....rather than
just give me a jump start...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 10:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good. I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

It relies on the built in sensors by the looks of things.
The cars computer can probably tell you the state of the battery without it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good.

A mate has a more expensive one that he considers to be good.

I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

For charging I believe they monitor the 'lift' in voltage from loaded
with engine off to with it running.

I like how they describe the DB15 connector as an OBD connector. ;-)

Well maybe it connects to the OBD port like it implies in the picture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 09:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

anybody got one of these ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autool-BT...53.m1438.l2649

I see it works for other species. That's impressive.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home expressed precisely :
It relies on the built in sensors by the looks of things.
The cars computer can probably tell you the state of the battery without it.

The ECU doesn't store that sort of information, that I am aware of, it
might store a failure to start, but that unit only seems to clip onto
the battery, so it cannot interrogate the car's ECU's.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 12:50, dennis@home wrote:

The cars computer

The what?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 13:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
dennis@home expressed precisely :
It relies on the built in sensors by the looks of things.
The cars computer can probably tell you the state of the battery
without it.

The ECU doesn't store that sort of information, that I am aware of, it
might store a failure to start, but that unit only seems to clip onto
the battery, so it cannot interrogate the car's ECU's.

What, using the ODB port?
It does say it has an ODB connector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home presented the following explanation :
Well maybe it connects to the OBD port like it implies in the picture.

No sign of an OBD plug in the photos. The only setting seems to be for
the species of crank current reading you want to be displayed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home formulated on Friday :
It does say it has an ODB connector.

Not that I could find, I even tried 'Find' on the page and that found
no mention.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 16:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
dennis@home formulated on Friday :
It does say it has an ODB connector.

Not that I could find, I even tried 'Find' on the page and that found no
mention.

Its in the pictures, but its a lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 12 July 2019 10:10:56 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good. I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

Measure oc battery voltage

That device can't do that.

Measure battery resistance
Measure cranking voltage
Calculate cranking current

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 04:32:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Measure oc battery voltage

That device can't do that.

Do you get some sort of senile "climax", any time you auto-contradict,
senile asshole?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID: