Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glen 2178 Convector Heater thermostat

Okay: I know the correct answer to the question is "chuck it away and
get another one" but this is uk.d-i-y and I'd like to fix it if I can.

I think the thermostatic control (143211 086-6 printed on the component)
is worn out. The heater won't even switch on until the dial is up beyond
the 4 mark and regardless of the external temperature, switches off
after about a minute and won't come back on again for several minutes. I
can't find anything wrong with the rest of the heater so I'm guessing
the plastic bit that adjusts the bi-metal contact is worn out.

Where can I buy a replacement? I've searched rs-online and ebay without
result but maybe I'm not using the right search. And if I can't buy a
replacement, is there a near equivalent I could use? This one has spade
connector terminals so I think it should be easy to swap the part out.

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 June 2019 20:47:36 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I think the thermostatic control (143211 086-6 printed on the component)
is worn out.
Where can I buy a replacement?

A google for thermostat 143211 suggests .. Inter Control 143211

Technical data

https://www.intercontrol.de/en/contr...11-thermostat/

suppliers:

https://www.rapidonline.com/inter-co...mostat-64-9513

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-143.../dp/B0719ST6Z8

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2019 22:09, wrote:
On Thursday, 13 June 2019 20:47:36 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I think the thermostatic control (143211 086-6 printed on the component)
is worn out.
Where can I buy a replacement?

A google for thermostat 143211 suggests .. Inter Control 143211

Technical data

https://www.intercontrol.de/en/contr...11-thermostat/

suppliers:

https://www.rapidonline.com/inter-co...mostat-64-9513

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-143.../dp/B0719ST6Z8

Owain

Doh! So why didn't that show up in my searches? Thanks - that's just
what I need and having dug the other one out of the loft and it showing
the same reluctance to convect heat, I guess I'll buy a couple of them.

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2019 08:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Where does the actual sensor live?
I'd have thought its more likely to be that.
Brian

I think the thermostat is the sensor: the bimetal spring responds to the
temperature in the metal case. I can see it actuating - or in the
instance of the one from the loft, not actuating.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Bad thermostat contacts would cause that symptom, makes the stat self heat excessively. Clean em up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 June 2019 23:36:28 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
Doh! So why didn't that show up in my searches? Thanks - that's just
what I need and having dug the other one out of the loft and it showing
the same reluctance to convect heat, I guess I'll buy a couple of them.

Or even a few, on the basis that they seem to be unreliable ;-)

Owain