Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Demolition Breaker

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I think SDS drilling and plug and feathers to cut the concrete into
manageable chunks would be easier and leave less rubble and mess?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug_and_feather

If you want a new toy.............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I got a very similar but slightly cheaper one on Ebay (?75GBP) and it
did a similar job without struggling. If the concrete is wholly
bounded by walls with no free edge and you have a big angle grinder it
migfht be worth cutting a coupl of parallel slots about 200mm apart and
im long just to get an edge to start with, concrete being much easier to
break if not in compression. Otherwise best to drill a hole with a big
masonry drill or the pointed breaker. Once you have a edge the
chiselling away 2-4" chunks seems to work best. Won't take more than a
few days, depending how far you have to move the bits.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Being scientific about this:-

Impact power: 55J

One of the heavy SDS drills from the likes of Screwfix has around 8J, so
the aldi breaker is about 7 times the power. I'd have thought that's loads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 15:42, GB wrote:
On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems
to be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Being scientific about this:-

Impact power:Â* 55J

One of the heavy SDS drills from the likes of Screwfix has around 8J, so
the aldi breaker is about 7 times the power. I'd have thought that's loads.

A drill and a breaker are different beasts. While some SDS drills have a
nominal breaker function (ie you can have the hammer action without the
rotary action), I doubt they are intended for serious breaking. For
example, taking down a brick wall is far less demanding than breaking a
concrete slab.

I'm not suggesting the Aldi beast isn't up to the job, I've bought
several of they power tools and been very happy with them. They also
honour their warranty. I'd give it a try and, if it isn't up to the
job, expect them to refund the money with out a problem. It will be
cheap than hiring if it works.

If you can, try and dig out some of the soil under each section as you
go, just enough so the slab isn't supported by the ground, and chip it
away.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I've done thgis with a hired concrete saw. mine had reinforcing in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max? Easy job with a sledge hammer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:17, harry wrote:
On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max? Easy job with a sledge hammer.

Big lever under edge to lift it off the ground a bit and hit it with a
sledge and it will break easily.

Don't lift it and the ground absorbs much of the energy and its harder work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 16:01, Brian Reay wrote:

A drill and a breaker are different beasts. While some SDS drills have a
nominal breaker function (ie you can have the hammer action without the
rotary action), I doubt they are intended for serious breaking. For
example, taking down a brick wall is far less demanding than breaking a
concrete slab.

Very true.

I have tackled stuff with a 2kg SDS and you can make progress.

But when I borrowed a full sized jackhammer off a builder, I demolished
a couple of 4" "farmers" concrete slabs in literally a couple of
minutes, leaving me to pick up a lot of small sized bits and stick them
in the skip.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not
that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

I can assure you that a conctete saw will reduce 4" slab to liftable
strips in minutes

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 17:04:06 +0000, RJH wrote:

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, it¢s not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

I had similar about 15 years ago. The concrete was perhaps a bit thicker and
f'ing hard! (I don't know why, as it was only a path).
Tried a 7lb one - bouncy-bouncy. Borrowed a 14 pounder and that /just/
managed.
I'm 6' 4" and I forced the hammer down as hard as I could (lifted my feet
off the ground) and kept the force on the hammer after it had hit. Typically
4 - 6 blows, naer the dge, to get it started.
I reckon somebody had installed a 30"-wide runway for a Galaxy!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 19:06:37 +0000
ARW wrote:

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the
sledgehammer.

If you can lift it you can stick a wedge under it ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not
that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have SDSd and couple of small areas, just to see how thick the slab
is. It was much harder work than I thought it'd be. The chisel bit
didn't manage to break the concrete, so a series of holes and cold chisel.

But I think I'll try the sledge hammer approach - I think a mate has one
I can borrow. Much as I'd like a new toy :-)

A lot depends on the cement content of the original mix. Whatever tool
you have, you really need to be working from an edge. Personally, I'd be
happy to invest 100 notes in one of those to save having to use a sledge
hammer too much.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2019 14:44:22 UTC, RJHÂ* wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

--
Cheers, Rob

4" max?Â* Easy job with a sledge hammer.

Big lever under edge to lift it off the ground a bit and hit it with a
sledge and it will break easily.

Don't lift it and the ground absorbs much of the energy and its harder
work.

Agreed but he's not going to lift a 5m x 5m slab (at least, not without
a 3 series JCB). OK to attack a half metre sized piece that way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 17:04, RJH wrote:
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

At what cost & mess though?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 20:28, newshound wrote:

Personally, I'd be
happy to invest 100 notes in one of those to save having to use a sledge
hammer too much.

+1
I've found that the sledge hammer approach can spall off bits of the
surface which go flying out at a rapid rate.

Just make sure that when using a sledge hammer that any vehicles are
parked far enough away to prevent them being damaged from flying debis.
Protect any nearby glass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

I find swinging a sledge hammer therapeutic.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

Richard

Also worth considering is that the 6 tons of broken concrete have to be
moved and it may be better to have small pieces to lift/move rather than
large pieces that are at the limit of what the OP can lift. especially
after doing this for a few hours. It may be easy to shovel small pieces
whereas large pieces cannot be moved this way.

I wonder if the slab (4 inches on the edge) has been laid on top of
compacted hardcore requiring more material to be shifted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 15/03/2019 16:45, ss wrote:
On 15/03/2019 15:49, Tim+ wrote:
I once broke up a similar area with just a sledge hammer. If you can
lever
up a bit with a pick axe to create a tiny space underneath, its not
that
hard to break up, and very satisfying.;-)

+1
I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

Easy enough with one person, lift the concrete, kick a rock or one
of the broken its under it, use the sledge, repeat until its all in bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 15/03/2019 19:51, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Reading some of the replies to this problem I really have to question some of the advice given especially when talking of spending 2-3 days using tools not really suited for the job just to save a few quid. The solution is obvious hire a breaker, a local hire shop here will hire one out for £35 a day and the job will be done in a couple of hours never mind two days. I am all for saving money on a job but as for spending days choking on concrete saw dust or swinging sledge hammers is worth £35 of my money any day!

I find swinging a sledge hammer therapeutic.

Is this going to be related to "knocking a big nail in" by any chance?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 10:08:36 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I used a mixture of SDS plus with chisel and levering up and smacking
with a large sledge hammer took me about 2 or 3 days for a similar size.

+2 But it's a 2 man job.

One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

Easy enough with one person, lift the concrete, kick a rock or one
of the broken its under it, use the sledge, repeat until its all in bits.

****ing unbelievable! This senile cantankerous psychopathic Ozzie cretin
knows it BETTER, again! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/03/2019 19:06, ARW wrote:
One "lifts" the concrete and the other one hits it with the sledgehammer.

Nope I just used a piece of 2x2 to lever and left in place then smacked
the concrete.
It works ok once you get started from an edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 20:32, newshound wrote:
[...]

which is why you use a concrete saw.

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I have a similar looking beast which I bought for a one off job some
years back. While not particularly sophisticated, it does pack a fairly
hefty punch, and so will do what you want fairly easily.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I should avoid all the suggestions that involve serious physical effort.
Sledgehammer? Ridiculous! What is this, Alcatraz?

Buy the tool and you won't regret it. I have a similar one (same power)
and it makes short work of 4" concrete. You can keep working for a long
time because all you're doing is holding it in place.

Don't sell the tool afterwards. It will come in.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/03/2019 04:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 15/03/2019 14:44, RJH wrote:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems
to be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

I should avoid all the suggestions that involve serious physical effort.
Sledgehammer? Ridiculous! What is this, Alcatraz?

That's like people who drive to the gym and pay good money to use the
running machine.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:44:18 +0000, RJH wrote:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

On a related note what's the best way to break up the concrete that
was supporting a (now broken) fence post+stud? It does have to come
out, it's stuck to the broken stud.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 March 2019 10:24:39 UTC, Davidm wrote:

On a related note what's the best way to break up the concrete that
was supporting a (now broken) fence post+stud? It does have to come
out, it's stuck to the broken stud.

If you don't have a breaker...
dig out around it so it can move.
move it left then put a bit of soil under it on the right
move it right then put a bit of soil under it on the left
repeat until it's walked up out of the hole.
Lot eaiser to break it once it's not supoprted much.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm Wrote in message:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:44:18 +0000, RJH wrote:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

On a related note what's the best way to break up the concrete that
was supporting a (now broken) fence post+stud? It does have to come
out, it's stuck to the broken stud.

"Fence post + stud"? Stud?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 12:05:49 +0000 (GMT+00:00), "Jim K.."
wrote:

Davidm Wrote in message:
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:44:18 +0000, RJH wrote:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

On a related note what's the best way to break up the concrete that
was supporting a (now broken) fence post+stud? It does have to come
out, it's stuck to the broken stud.

"Fence post + stud"? Stud?

Wooden post bolted to concrete stud, BOTH broken at bottom, but stud
hanging on via it's reinforcing rods. This is the second one that's
gone, last one was a bu..er toget out with SDS drill/chisel and hammer
& chisel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Is this a current offer? Or one coming up?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 March 2019 21:03:19 UTC, JimK wrote:
RJH Wrote in message:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Is this a current offer? Or one coming up?

in stock now. You could actually do some diy.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:

I need to break up about 5m x 5m of concrete, varies in depth, seems to
be about 4" max.

I intend to do it over a few weeks, once the weather improves. Would
this be up to the job:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-demo...96542269374000

I intend to buy it, then sell on ebay once it's done.

Is this a current offer? Or one coming up?

in stock now. You could actually do some diy.

NT

says the original "armchair expert" !
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Demolition - and demolition is DIY related ARW UK diy 13 May 22nd 15 10:45 PM
Demolition breaker Tabby UK diy 6 December 5th 10 01:40 AM
Electric BBQ breaks GFI 20 Amp breaker yet works fine with non-GFI breaker. BoyntonStu Home Repair 10 May 26th 07 07:56 PM
A/C Unit Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker - How to test breaker before calling repair man? C5Ya Home Repair 10 August 26th 05 08:34 PM
Circuit breaker tester maps to wrong breaker!! Joe Doe Home Repair 7 November 30th 04 02:47 AM