Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Looking for a leak

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes
John Rumm wrote:
So far all the normal tricks don't seem to be doing it!

Short version:

There is a leak somewhere in my central heating system - its losing
pressure regularly, and needs topping up with at least a couple of
litres a day.

Snip. Not being rude.
I was losing water. The loop valve was not turned off properly, even though
it looked okay.

Further news on my leak.

Isolating the floors showed the leak was upstairs! Slight wet patch
showing below the manifold cover.

Water drip from the *plumber fitted* mixer valve! Basically the threaded
spigot on the valve was too short to seal against the fibre washer
inside the 22mm coupler. The joint was garmed up with plumbers mait.

Agricultural solution plus lots of ptfe tape...... we'll see how it
goes.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
So far all the normal tricks don't seem to be doing it!

Short version:

There is a leak somewhere in my central heating system - its losing
pressure regularly, and needs topping up with at least a couple of
litres a day.

Snip. Not being rude.
I was losing water. The loop valve was not turned off properly, even though
it looked okay.

Further news on my leak.

Isolating the floors showed the leak was upstairs! Slight wet patch
showing below the manifold cover.

Water drip from the *plumber fitted* mixer valve! Basically the threaded
spigot on the valve was too short to seal against the fibre washer
inside the 22mm coupler. The joint was garmed up with plumbers mait.

Agricultural solution plus lots of ptfe tape...... we'll see how it
goes.

Could you just saw a few mm off the nut?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Umm. That is where the spanner flats are. I actually turned a brass
insert sleeve so that the thread bottoms. Not intended to be a seal but
to load the taped threads and stop the joint bottoming on the body of
the valve.

If it leaks again I'll buy a second fibre washer.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 7:56:10 PM UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 9 March 2019 18:25:13 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
So far all the normal tricks don't seem to be doing it!

Short version:

There is a leak somewhere in my central heating system - its losing
pressure regularly, and needs topping up with at least a couple of
litres a day.

Longer version:

The pipework is of questionable vintage, but I am guessing 30+ years
old. Almost exclusively copper apart from about 3m of speedfit for one
particularly awkward pipe run. Largish S Plan+ system - unvented
cylinder and about 21 rads (split into separate upstairs and downstairs
zones).

The system was pretty good - only needing a small top up at most once or
twice a year. However over the last year its got worse. It got to the
point where it needed a top up every other week or so. So I carefully
checked around any areas where there have been changes in recent times.

I found one radiator tail in the downstairs loo where I had needed to do
a "live" pipework change and had used a cuprofit fitting that was
knocking about in the plumbing kit. That had a very slight indication of
a weep from around the base of the fitting. So I chopped it out and
re-did it properly. After that, no improvement or the rate of loss
seemed to get even worse! Even though there is definitely no evidence of
a leak in that location now.

So I checked the PRV drain pipe on the system boiler. That's not letting
by. Checked the drain point tap which is outside - again its dry.

Seems unlikely its the coil in the indirect cylinder since it is an
unvented cylinder, and the water pressure inside it is higher than that
of the CH primary - so if that leaked the CH would fill up!

So I had a careful look about. No indications of staining on the
ceilings, and it seems unlily one could lose that much water by
evaporation from the leak point. so I thought ground floor would be more
likely - there is loads of space in the under floor void where you could
lose water without it showing up anywhere.

However over the last few weeks I managed to get eyes on pretty much all
the GF pipework (sometimes indirectly by bribing second born to climb
through a hole in the floor and romp about in void and look for any
signs of leaks or damp, or corroded looking pipes etc). Got some more
boards up today and looked at the last two rad pipe runs. Again all ok.

Any bright ideas?

Work out where's the hardest bit to get to. It's there.

NT

Yes, that is where the pinhole leak was in my hot water system. In a wall cavity, where the pipe went from vertical to horizontal. The water was spraying towards the outside and draining freely leaving no mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I think I'd have started with that!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
So far all the normal tricks don't seem to be doing it!

Short version:

There is a leak somewhere in my central heating system - its losing
pressure regularly, and needs topping up with at least a couple of
litres a day.

Snip. Not being rude.
I was losing water. The loop valve was not turned off properly, even
though
it looked okay.

Further news on my leak.

I think I have found mine as well....

Having finally got access to all the ground floor pipework (lifting
floors etc), I found - erm nothing!

So today while the heating was on setback I decided to make some checks
on the boiler itself. Lifted its pressure to about 1.5 bar, and then
turned its power off. I thought that I would also check the condensate
drain. Interestingly - normally its spotlessly clean and full of clear
water. This time it looked decidedly orange and slightly scummy. So I
emptied and cleaned it and put it back, then left it alone for a couple
of hours. Had a look again and its now 3/4 full of water. Emptied again,
left another hour or so, and verified that the system pressure had
fallen a little. (I replaced a rad vent plug with a larger pressure
gauge to be able to more clearly see the difference without the aid of
the boilers electronic gauge).

So the good news is at least the plumbing is ok, and I have not got to
fix something in some awkward difficult to get at place. The less good
news is it looks like the primary HEX mush have a small internal leak.

Quite how/why that happened on a 7 year old boiler on a well cleaned
system that was always treated with inhibitor I am not sure. I suppose
until I look in the combustion chamber its hard to say what is going on.

Replacement HEX seem to range from £120 for a reconditioned one, and new
ones ranging from £220 - £450 depending on where you get it.

Now I know its not leaking water into the house I may just slap in some
more inhibitor and leave it until the warmer months!

Isolating the floors showed the leak was upstairs! Slight wet patch
showing below the manifold cover.

Water drip from the *plumber fitted* mixer valve! Basically the threaded
spigot on the valve was too short to seal against the fibre washer
inside the 22mm coupler. The joint was garmed up with plumbers mait.

Agricultural solution plus lots of ptfe tape...... we'll see how it goes.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

You can get a chemical additive leak sealer. (Similar to "Radweld")
How effective it would be in the HEX, I don't know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Roger Hayter
writes

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Plumbing fibre washers seem closely related to gold dust in terms of
availability.

When this cropped up before, I bought a pack from e-bay. Sadly the
larger sizes are too narrow to function properly.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

You were right. The agricultural solution failed once the hot water
reached the manifold.

I have shortened the coupler by turning off the spanner flats.
Fortunately I have a set of *Mole* grips with curved jaws which were a
good fit on the remaining body. More mait and it was running OK last
night.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2019 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Plumbing fibre washers seem closely related to gold dust in terms of
availability.

When this cropped up before, I bought a pack from e-bay. Sadly the
larger sizes are too narrow to function properly.

Not cheap, but sets from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-rub...-210-pcs/70837

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

We have a normal, pumped, system, which after a few years developed a
leak while we were on holiday. Middle daughter was house sitting and
noticed a puddle under the boiler in the garage, turned off the heating,
stuck a dish under it, and rang us- interrupting a very pleasant sunset
and bottle of wine- for further instructions. Fortunately, being summer,
she only needed hot water and could manage with the immersion heater
until we returned.

We have service contract with a local firm (which has always been
excellent) and I happened to be there just as he removed the cover from
the heater exchanger- to see him get drenched in water. There was a leak
in the heat exchanger. Most of the innards of the boiler were replaced
FOC within a couple of days. It seems, while not common, it is far from
unknown. He reckoned it was due to Aluminium heater exchangers and was
virtually never a problem in the days of cast iron ones. So much for
progress.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

The one used in CH is water glass. It sets hard when exposed to high temp. IMLE (sample of 1) it sort of worked, but not fully, and that was with a vented system with a few feet head above the boiler. It does result in hard but easily broken off crud getting into the burner area. I presume minimising pressure would help, which might be helped by putting a bit of air into each rad.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Roger Hayter
writes

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Yes, tap connectors are horrible things. I was forced to use them
behind a siliconed-in tile and have had nothing but trouble. Usually
due to rigid pipework not lining up 100% so the washer is unevenly
compressed. Gross over-tightening seems the only solution. If there is
room, a tapered, sealed threaded connection with a nearby compression
joint for dismantling is more reliable. Or even a proper union
connector to be posh!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 16 March 2019 12:27:16 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/03/2019 10:11, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 16 March 2019 09:20:00 UTC, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 16 March 2019 03:44:27 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/03/2019 12:51, Tim Lamb wrote:

You can get a chemical additive leak sealer. (Similar to
"Radweld") How effective it would be in the HEX, I don't know.

The one used in CH is water glass. It sets hard when exposed to high
temp. IMLE (sample of 1) it sort of worked, but not fully, and that
was with a vented system with a few feet head above the boiler. It
does result in hard but easily broken off crud getting into the
burner area. I presume minimising pressure would help, which might be
helped by putting a bit of air into each rad.

I did try some on this, and it appeared to work for about 5 days. It
might be that the stresses are too high on a HX, or might be I did not
have adequate concentration for the quantity of primary water in the
system.

I expect you have a pressurised primary. The last boiler ran on waterglass with a split HX.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH Wrote in message:
On 16/03/2019 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Plumbing fibre washers seem closely related to gold dust in terms of
availability.

When this cropped up before, I bought a pack from e-bay. Sadly the
larger sizes are too narrow to function properly.

Not cheap, but sets from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-rub...-210-pcs/70837

Toolsatan similar for £10 odd or eBay....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
RJH Wrote in message:
On 16/03/2019 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Plumbing fibre washers seem closely related to gold dust in terms of
availability.

When this cropped up before, I bought a pack from e-bay. Sadly the
larger sizes are too narrow to function properly.

Not cheap, but sets from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-rub...-210-pcs/70837

Toolsatan similar for £10 odd or eBay....

It is the sort of component you need to see before purchase:-(

I tried several plumbing outlets without success when I needed to fit a
parallel thread 22mm tap connector to a wall fitting.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
RJH Wrote in message:
On 16/03/2019 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Plumbing fibre washers seem closely related to gold dust in terms of
availability.

When this cropped up before, I bought a pack from e-bay. Sadly the
larger sizes are too narrow to function properly.

Not cheap, but sets from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-rub...-210-pcs/70837

Toolsatan similar for £10 odd or eBay....

It is the sort of component you need to see before purchase:-(

A fibre washer?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K..
writes
Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , Jim K..
writes
RJH Wrote in message:
On 16/03/2019 09:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Plumbing fibre washers seem closely related to gold dust in terms of
availability.

When this cropped up before, I bought a pack from e-bay. Sadly the
larger sizes are too narrow to function properly.

Not cheap, but sets from Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-rub...-210-pcs/70837

Toolsatan similar for £10 odd or eBay....

It is the sort of component you need to see before purchase:-(

A fibre washer?

Yes:-)
The on-line pack I bought has a 22mm washer but it is only about 2mm
wide. Trapped in a socket, it would be fine but where there is room to
spread, unreliable.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2019 19:04, wrote:
[...]

Indeed, its a sealed system (although peak pressure does not exceed 1.7
bar normally)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

ARE You looking for Employment and looking to have business cousty girl Home Repair 0 January 15th 08 12:23 AM
I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leak should leak. Daniel Cullpeppper Home Repair 10 April 30th 06 05:16 AM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 11:28 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 03:34 PM
Lockshield valve leak BigWallop UK diy 1 July 6th 03 01:01 AM