Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fluorescent lighting

"ARW" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
Why dim? IME nearly all commercial & school fluorescent installs are
heavily overpowered.

Why? The need to dim lights in a domestic setting easy to understand.

Indeed

1min 22 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26krlXFmOI

https://youtu.be/r26krlXFmOI?t=82

You right click on the screen and select copy url at the current time.

And we swapped all candles for LED battery operated ones. I have worked on
to many fire damaged houses where the fire was caused by a candle.

Yeah, **** candles. I have some led battery operated ones
that plug into a power point and which come on when the
mains fails so you can find them and just take it off the charger
that plugs in to the power point and use it anywhere you like
and be sure its fully charged when you need it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019 11:44:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH yet more senile troll****

Nobody was talking to you, you obnoxious, psychopathic, senile pest!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 March 2019 18:28:23 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 13:03:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 11:43:43 UTC, tabby wrote:

If they're the old type that flash during starting, just loosen the starter on a fitting & it doesn't start. Easiest way to dim the room.

So I go around with a ladder messing about with upto 20 tube starters no thanks.

if you're stupid enough to do it that way

I'm not that's why don't do it.
That's the way a gross amateur might do it, but not me.

Is that the way you dim you're lights at home by removing the starter ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 March 2019 19:22:31 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 04/03/2019 11:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 March 2019 19:35:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
This lab was build in the 1960s last electrical refurbishment was in the
mid 90s. But still never seen any dimmable florescant in the dept or
uni, there must be a reason.

Generally, florries in a lab are working lights. Why would you need to dim
them?

Because that's what the designers of the new lab said we need, you don't think they'll ask us users do you ?
I didnlt think we needed auto on lights in teh toilets either, or the taps which use PIR , which means yuo canlt adjust teh water temperature for yourself up or down or the lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you get in it and then wait for the lift that goes to that floor.

I assume that if several people are waiting to go to different floors
they can all press different buttons, so why can't one person press all
the buttons that go to all the floors on the way to the one he wants?

Why would you want the lift stopping at every floor ?
If a studetn want to go to the 7th floor then why would they press to go to floor 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 5, 6, ?

When I use the lift I just press the button for the floor I want to go to.

How do you use a lift ?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 4 March 2019 21:04:18 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 04/03/2019 11:47, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 March 2019 19:48:36 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
On 01/03/2019 16:30, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 1 March 2019 16:02:52 UTC, NY wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message

Dimmable fluorescent fittings have been around since the early 1960s.
Nothing new there.

How are fluorescents dimmed?

I waqsnt; sure so looked it up.

https://www.etcconnect.com/Support/A...ures-Work.aspx

I'd always thought that it was impossible,

well I knew it was possible but a bit more difficult than just replacing a light switch with a dimmer switch.

It is basically replacing the light switch with a dimmer (suitable for
inductive loads), but you also need to add a separate pair of isolated
supplies to keep the filaments hot enough to continue operating in
thermionic emission mode when the tube current is too low to do it just
by itself. This will also enable the tube to strike without a starter.

Indeed, I made just such a light as a teenager.

I'm not allowed to just replace the lighting in a teaching lab with something I did at home. I also have about 45 double tubes in the lab.

Commercially, Transtar was a well known manufacturer of dimming magnetic
ballasts (and very high quality non-dimming ballasts).

Good for them but I leave that to those designing the spaces in the lab..

Just has a academic asking for a 96V or higher PSU I politely laughed.

I've been asked to suggest the purchase of some new bench supplies for the lab but I doubt I'll get permission to order ones that got up 96V.
I'm not looking at anything about 30V at the moment.

I remember, aged about 12, doing experiments with a CRT tube during
physics. The tube was made with male banana plugs sticking out directly
from the glass on each side, so you had to connect up a 3500V supply
(IIRC) using reverse stacked banana plugs, still leaving the live pins
sticking out on each side - while 3 ft away, the next pupil was doing
experiments with water!

Those were the days ;-) I remmeber my physics teacher seting up an experiment with a casserole dish of mercury and inserting a glass tube in it with his hand with his hand immersed in the mercury and saying don't do this, if you do you'll end up with less teeth and hair than I have, now that was a scary thought. But the experiment was left out all day until the next day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you get in it and
then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons, your lift has a button for every
other floor in the lobby on each floor? I bet people still get into a
lift going up when they want to go down, instead of waiting for one
going down ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Why? The need to dim lights in a domestic setting easy to understand.
But even then why make them more powerful than ever needed?

1. Ignorance. Some installers don't fully know what they're doing.

Could be.

2. For cleaning some people want extra bright lighting

Then that is a needed condition.

3. Variations in eyesight & perception cause variations in desired light
level.

Same as above. If the room is used by people with poor eyesight, etc.

--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Why dim? IME nearly all commercial & school fluorescent installs are heavily overpowered.

Why? The need to dim lights in a domestic setting easy to understand. But
even then why make them more powerful than ever needed?

Very handy to have much brighter than normal lights when working on
fiddly objects.

Very much so - especially as you get older.

I'd love to have multiple fluorescent lights in the
living room (best place to fix things in comfort) - but only if they
could be completely hidden when normal lighting was in use.

Luckily, I have a workshop inside the house. Once was a bedroom. So just
as comfortable as anywhere else.

Living rooms may not be ideal for finding ping****its. ;-)

SteveW

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 10:50:00 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you get in it and
then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

your lift has a button for every
other floor in the lobby on each floor?

Outside the 3 lifts there are 3 panels likem a calculator.
If you push button 3 it'll tell yuo which lift L1 L2 or L3 will be the one to stand by. If you get in the lift it tells you to you get taken to that floor.
If you get in the lift that someone else has selected 4, then you will be taken to floor 4 rather than floor 3.

The general idea is to tell the lift what floor level you want to go to and it tells you which lift to get.
If you ask to go to floor 3, it will take you to floor 3 NOT ANY OTHER FLOOR.

I bet people still get into a
lift going up when they want to go down, instead of waiting for one
going down ...

They are students. I've been in a lift and a student followed me in so I asked which floor and he said I don't know, so I selected my floor 2 (old lift) and got out on that floor. Leaving the student in the lift, he wasn't there the next day so I can only assume he got out at some point either on the ground floor or 1 2,3 or 4 at some point in his life.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I thought you said that it would only send a lift that had already
'decide' to go to the floor you chose.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 12:21:17 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those, most peole I;'ve watched just hit both of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

No.
Do you know what floor you wish to go to before you approach a lift ? I do.

Our old lift if I want to go to floor 2 I press 2, what dop you presss 1 & 2 ?

With the new lifts we have before the lift arrives you use the panel outside the lift to select the floor you wish to go to, similar to what you'd do if you entered the old lift.
Once selected you are told which lift to get in to, then that lift will take you to that floor.

Is it really that complicated ? Our students seem to manage it.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 10:18:45 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 18:28:23 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 13:03:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 11:43:43 UTC, tabby wrote:

If they're the old type that flash during starting, just loosen the starter on a fitting & it doesn't start. Easiest way to dim the room.

So I go around with a ladder messing about with upto 20 tube starters no thanks.

if you're stupid enough to do it that way

I'm not that's why don't do it.
That's the way a gross amateur might do it, but not me.

then why bring your ladder idea up, it was stupid

Is that the way you dim you're lights at home by removing the starter ?

no, I don't have any magnetic ballasted fluorescents stil in service. Any more daft questions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2019 12:21, Whisky Dave wrote:
I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Too true. Mostly they are belly buttons, fly buttons and then one day
all the buttons are marked down...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've used a lift with just up & down inside the lift, but it was a handle rather than buttons.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those

Good grief. The idea is you only stop the lift if it is going in your
direction.

No wonder they won't let you design anything.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 13:39:15 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 10:18:45 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 18:28:23 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 13:03:34 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2019 11:43:43 UTC, tabby wrote:

If they're the old type that flash during starting, just loosen the starter on a fitting & it doesn't start. Easiest way to dim the room.

So I go around with a ladder messing about with upto 20 tube starters no thanks.

if you're stupid enough to do it that way

I'm not that's why don't do it.
That's the way a gross amateur might do it, but not me.

then why bring your ladder idea up, it was stupid

How else would I change tubes that are 11ft or more above floor level, as when they come over to change them they bring a ladder for some reason do you have any idea why they bother to bring a ladder when they can fly or do whatever you expect peole to do with lights attached to the ceiling.

It was suggested that I just remove the starters was teh easist way to dim the lights. Do you truely believ in that method ?
In the antenna lab it's more like 40ft ceiling.

Is that the way you dim you're lights at home by removing the starter ?

no, I don't have any magnetic ballasted fluorescents stil in service. Any more daft questions?

Yes, why did you reply if you don't have these things, not that I have them either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 14:02:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those

Good grief. The idea is you only stop the lift if it is going in your
direction.

How do you know which direction the lift is going it's in a shaft ?

and do you really think students or anyone else does that.

Anyway you've no idea how many times it's been previously pressed or what floors it has been pressed on.

No wonder they won't let you design anything.

I design plenty of things I'm just more aware of problems than you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

How do you know which direction the lift is going it's in a shaft ?

you don't need to know ... if are on the 1st floor and want to go up,
you simply press "up", the lift might come down to get you, then go back
up again, alternatively it might come up to get you, then carry on up

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those

Good grief. The idea is you only stop the lift if it is going in your
direction.

Not even that is true.

When a button is pressed outside the elevator, the controller identifies the most appropriate elevator to stop at that floor. This may be based on distance to the floor or the direction of travel

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...op-at-a-floor/

No wonder they won't let you design anything.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 14:43:08 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

How do you know which direction the lift is going it's in a shaft ?

you don't need to know ... if are on the 1st floor and want to go up,
you simply press "up",

So you press to go in the direction you want to go in.
But wha if the lift if above level 1 ?

the lift might come down to get you, then go back
up again, alternatively it might come up to get you, then carry on up

So the buttons are pretty much meaningless (as I know) they just select the closest lift that is going in yuor direction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you
get in it and then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Then you need to get out more. Most do BEFORE YOU GET IN IT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...trol_panel.jpg.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those,

Yes, you actually are that stupid. The purpose is to indicate
that someone wants to go to a level higher or lower than
the level they press the button on so the lift can work out
which level to go to first when it isnt delivering anyone to
a level they have selected when in the lift.

most peole I;'ve watched just hit both of them.

Even the dregs left behind in the UK after everyone with
even half a clue has left the UK can't actually be that bad.

That must be due to you being completely blotto all the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 04:12:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

FLUSH troll****

04:12 am in Australia??? Did you sleep in today, you subnormal senile idiot?
LOL

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 04:06:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Then you need to get out more.

....says, of course, the subnormal senile psychopath who gets up EVERY DAY
between 1 and 4 am in Australia, just so he can continue with his obnoxious
trolling without too long a break!

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 14:29:46 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 13:39:15 UTC, tabby wrote:
[...]

what has changing tubes got to do with rotating a starter?

It was suggested that I just remove the starters was teh easist way to dim the lights.

It was said that it's an option. It is

Do you truely believ in that method ?

I've done it often enough

In the antenna lab it's more like 40ft ceiling.

so you wanna moan that it's not the best option for every situation.

Is that the way you dim you're lights at home by removing the starter ?

no, I don't have any magnetic ballasted fluorescents stil in service. Any more daft questions?

Yes, why did you reply if you don't have these things, not that I have them either.

what's that got to do with anything?
Do you manage to feed yourself?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 17:12:55 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those,

Yes, you actually are that stupid. The purpose is to indicate
that someone wants to go to a level higher or lower than
the level they press the button on so the lift can work out
which level to go to first when it isnt delivering anyone to
a level they have selected when in the lift.

most peole I;'ve watched just hit both of them.

Even the dregs left behind in the UK after everyone with
even half a clue has left the UK can't actually be that bad.

That must be due to you being completely blotto all the time.

Even Rod looks intelligent compared to Mr Whisky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 17:06:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you
get in it and then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Then you need to get out more. Most do BEFORE YOU GET IN IT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...trol_panel.jpg.

Dumb**** we were refering to inside the lift NOT outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those,

Yes, you actually are that stupid. The purpose is to indicate
that someone wants to go to a level higher or lower than
the level they press the button on so the lift can work out
which level to go to first when it isnt delivering anyone to
a level they have selected when in the lift.

But that isn't the way they actually work I tried it again today.

If you don;t understand how lifts work then use the stairs if you can work them out that is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 20:44:43 UTC, wrote:
[...]

Where are the starters located ?

Now see if you can work it out for yourself.

It was suggested that I just remove the starters was the easist way to dim the lights.

It was said that it's an option. It is

and where are these starters located ?

Do you truely believ in that method ?

I've done it often enough

So.

In the antenna lab it's more like 40ft ceiling.

so you wanna moan that it's not the best option for every situation.

I'm saying it;s not the bestv option for most situations.

Is that the way you dim you're lights at home by removing the starter ?

no, I don't have any magnetic ballasted fluorescents stil in service. Any more daft questions?

Yes, why did you reply if you don't have these things, not that I have them either.

what's that got to do with anything?

Everything.

Do you manage to feed yourself?

Yes and I don;t have to DIY everything I eat, I don;t have to look after cattle or grow a field of wheat either.

Do you make yuor own toilet paper out of old pizza leaflets ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those,

Yes, you actually are that stupid. The purpose is to indicate
that someone wants to go to a level higher or lower than
the level they press the button on so the lift can work out
which level to go to first when it isnt delivering anyone to
a level they have selected when in the lift.

most peole I;'ve watched just hit both of them.

Even the dregs left behind in the UK after everyone with
even half a clue has left the UK can't actually be that bad.

That must be due to you being completely blotto all the time.

Even Rod looks intelligent compared to Mr Whisky.

As long as he only looks it then that's OK by me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 10:55:26 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 20:44:43 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 14:29:46 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 13:39:15 UTC, tabby wrote:

then why bring your ladder idea up, it was stupid

How else would I change tubes that are 11ft or more above floor level, as when they come over to change them they bring a ladder for some reason do you have any idea why they bother to bring a ladder when they can fly or do whatever you expect peole to do with lights attached to the ceiling.

what has changing tubes got to do with rotating a starter?

Where are the starters located ?

it varies.

Now see if you can work it out for yourself.

I've worked with fluorescents for decades, among other things, including the occasional custom setup. It's pretty obvious who can't work much out.

your other sillies snipped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 11:50:36 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 10:55:26 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 20:44:43 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 14:29:46 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 13:39:15 UTC, tabby wrote:

then why bring your ladder idea up, it was stupid

How else would I change tubes that are 11ft or more above floor level, as when they come over to change them they bring a ladder for some reason do you have any idea why they bother to bring a ladder when they can fly or do whatever you expect peole to do with lights attached to the ceiling.

what has changing tubes got to do with rotating a starter?

Where are the starters located ?

it varies.

What sort of places are they put then ?

Now see if you can work it out for yourself.

I've worked with fluorescents for decades, among other things, including the occasional custom setup. It's pretty obvious who can't work much out.

your other sillies snipped.

Expected, but where do they put the starters for flourscent tubes then if you've really used them for decades as you claim then you'll be able to list thopse places won't you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 17:06:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you
get in it and then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Then you need to get out more. Most do BEFORE YOU GET IN IT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...trol_panel.jpg.

Dumb**** we were refering to inside the lift NOT outside.

Even a terminal drunken ****wit should be able
to read and comprehend the current first para
with the words BEFORE YOU GET IN.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

outside the lift ...

I've never quite understood those,

Yes, you actually are that stupid. The purpose is to indicate
that someone wants to go to a level higher or lower than
the level they press the button on so the lift can work out
which level to go to first when it isnt delivering anyone to
a level they have selected when in the lift.

But that isn't the way they actually work I tried it again today.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and thats saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 14:16:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 17:06:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you
get in it and then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Then you need to get out more. Most do BEFORE YOU GET IN IT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...trol_panel.jpg.

Dumb**** we were refering to inside the lift NOT outside.

Even a terminal drunken ****wit should be able
to read and comprehend the current first para
with the words BEFORE YOU GET IN.

But that doesn't make any differnce to whether the lift goes up or down.

Perhaps you don't have them in Aus or they work differntly.

Today the lift was on teh 4th floor. I was on the ground floor.
we have a basement and floors 1, 2, 3, 4,

SO I called the lift using the down button, according tlo you this means I want to go to the basement, I didn't I wanted the 2nd floor.

The lift came to the ground floor I got in and the door closed.
Nothig else happened the lift stayed on the ground floor, after a few miniutes
I pressed the button for the 2nd floor and the lift went up.

Now according to ****wits, when pressing the down button outside the lift the lift should go down well it didn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 14:16:39 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 17:06:20 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Andy Burns wrote
whisky-dave wrote

lifts where you have to tell it what floor before you
get in it and then wait for the lift that goes to that floor

so rather than just up/down buttons,

I've never seen a life with just up and down buttons.

Then you need to get out more. Most do BEFORE YOU GET IN IT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:E...trol_panel.jpg.

Dumb**** we were refering to inside the lift NOT outside.

Even a terminal drunken ****wit should be able
to read and comprehend the current first para
with the words BEFORE YOU GET IN.

But that doesn't make any differnce to whether the lift goes up or down.

The button you press does make a difference to
when a lift shows up on your floor if no one else
has indicated that they want to go to your floor.

If it didnt, there would be no point in having
a pair of buttons OUTSIDE the lift, all that
would be needed is a single button which
indicates you want a lift to arrive at your
floor and open the door to let you in.

Perhaps you don't have them in Aus

Corse we do, there isnt any other viable way
to do lifts. There is either a pair of buttons
outside the lift or a set of buttons, one for
each floor the lift goes to.

or they work differntly.

Nope.

Today the lift was on teh 4th floor. I was on the ground floor.
we have a basement and floors 1, 2, 3, 4,

SO I called the lift using the down button,

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof of
that a terminal ****wit you have always been
and why you only get to clean that dunnys there.

according tlo you this means I want to go to the basement,

Yes.

I didn't I wanted the 2nd floor.

So you should have pressed the up button,
because you wanted to go up in the lift, ****wit.

The lift came to the ground floor

It would always do that eventually. The reason for the
two buttons rather than one is because the lift knows
that you want to go up from the ground floor and
so it wouldnt bother to stop immediately if the
lift was on the 4th floor and the only individual
in the lift had indicated that it wanted to go to
the basement. It would have passed the ground
floor without stopping and gone to the basement
and then go to the ground floor to pick you up.

I got in and the door closed. Nothig else
happened the lift stayed on the ground floor,

Because it doesnt normally only have one other
floor to go to in the direction you indicated so it
waited to be told which floor you wanted to go to.

after a few miniutes I pressed the button
for the 2nd floor and the lift went up.

Must be one of those new fangled rocket scientist lifts.

Now according to ****wits, when pressing the down button
outside the lift the lift should go down well it didn't.

Nope, because they dont bother with the special case of
the button being pressed with just one other floor possible
in the direction indicated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 15:42:24 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

So as useless as the doors on central line tubes.

If it didnt, there would be no point in having
a pair of buttons OUTSIDE the lift,

There isn't with the new lifts they don't have a pair of buttons.

all that
would be needed is a single button which
indicates you want a lift to arrive at your
floor and open the door to let you in.

and that's why most people press both buttons, because they want the lift to come to them, once in they select which floor they want to go to, if they actually know of course.

Perhaps you don't have them in Aus

Corse we do, there isnt any other viable way
to do lifts. There is either a pair of buttons
outside the lift or a set of buttons, one for
each floor the lift goes to.

Yes that's what our new lifts are like.

Today the lift was on teh 4th floor. I was on the ground floor.
we have a basement and floors 1, 2, 3, 4,

SO I called the lift using the down button,

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof of
that a terminal ****wit you have always been
and why you only get to clean that dunnys there.

I've never cleaned them, sound more like your sort of job.

according tlo you this means I want to go to the basement,

Yes.

I didn't I wanted the 2nd floor.

So you should have pressed the up button,

Why ? I wanted the lift to come down not go up.

because you wanted to go up in the lift, ****wit.

Yes that's why I pressed to go to the 2nd floor.

if they wanted the buttons to work properly and people to
understand how they work, then the lift wouldn't have come would it
because it thought I wanted to go down, I wanted the lift to go down.

The lift came to the ground floor

It would always do that eventually. The reason for the
two buttons rather than one is because the lift knows
that you want to go up from the ground floor

How does the lift know where I want to go.

and
so it wouldnt bother to stop immediately if the
lift was on the 4th floor and the only individual
in the lift had indicated that it wanted to go to
the basement. It would have passed the ground
floor without stopping and gone to the basement
and then go to the ground floor to pick you up.

you assume, perhaps you should try these things to find out.

after a few miniutes I pressed the button
for the 2nd floor and the lift went up.

Must be one of those new fangled rocket scientist lifts.

Yes a lift that takes yuo to the floor that you indicated where yuo wanted to go, maybe I should patent that idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

[...]

That's really fascinating. Such a simple conrtro system and you've
totally failed to understand it. If you want to go up, you press the
up button. You get a lift just as quickly, but one on the way to the
basement because of the another user's request will not waste their time
and yours by stopping on the way down. It will still stop on the way
up, if another lift has not yet reached you. But everyone will be saved
the time of the futile stop on the way down. In your case, the lift at
the top which is empty and has no demand for the basement will still
come just as quickly if you press the up button, but will know it has to
go up. So you lose nothing by pressing the right button, but the
overall system is improved.

Or possibly you're joking?

--

Roger Hayter

Fluorescent lighting Mark Spice UK diy 4 February 8th 06 10:33 AM
Fluorescent lighting question rickm Home Repair 13 October 29th 04 12:56 AM
fluorescent lighting stuart noble UK diy 17 October 15th 04 11:25 PM
Fluorescent lighting? Schism Home Repair 13 June 22nd 04 03:00 AM
Fluorescent lighting advice Paul Moore UK diy 6 February 11th 04 03:16 PM