Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bodywork

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 8:01:58 PM UTC, Paul Herber wrote:

Most cyclists are also car drivers.
In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

He will be the ONLY one who is paying for road repairs through his council tax and yet not wearing out the bit of road that he has shelled out for!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:30:33 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists.
So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils -
why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

He's saying that there should be a tax that cyclists have to pay, to
pay for all that road modification that only cyclists benefit from.

I agree.
Let's call it council tax.

That can't fly because non cyclists pay that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:30:33 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists.
So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils -
why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

He's saying that there should be a tax that cyclists have to pay, to
pay for all that road modification that only cyclists benefit from.

I agree.
Let's call it council tax.

That can't fly because non cyclists pay that too.

So do non drivers.

Non drivers dont pay the fuel tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:30:33 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists..
So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils -
why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

He's saying that there should be a tax that cyclists have to pay, to
pay for all that road modification that only cyclists benefit from.

I agree.
Let's call it council tax.

That can't fly because non cyclists pay that too.

So do non drivers.

Non drivers dont pay the fuel tax.

I bought a gallon of petrol for a lawn mower and had to pay full price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:27:08 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote: It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding
lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So in these
days of austerity - especially with most councils - why shouldn't they
contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

Good grief.

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So
in these days of austerity - especially with most councils - why
shouldn't they contribute towards that?

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't.

Driver of motorised vehicles contribute to the pot via fuel duty etc and
VED.

But then the one thing that is plain, is just how selfish many cyclists
are.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul Herber wrote:
What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't. I have told you Dave
just because you 'say' (or even imply something) over and over and...,
does not make it true.

Most cyclists are also car drivers.

And? They might well have more than one car. But can only drive one at
once. But pay for both regardless.

In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

--
*What happens when none of your bees wax? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:01:05 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In the groups I ride with only one is not a car driver.

Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

Speeding, parking the wrong way at night, on yellow lines, on zig zags, outside schools, pavement parking, obstructing traffic by inconsiderate parking, driving while drunk, on mobile phones, with no car tax, no licence, no insurance, no MOT, illegal plates, overtaking on double lines, due care, bald tyres, faulty brakes, one eyed monsters, no rear lights, no brake lights, no indicators, fog light abuse, faulty steering, windscreen obscuration, darkly tinted windows, child seat abuse, no seatbelts, insecure load, one way street abuse, amber/red light jumping, cycle box abuse, bus lane abuse, box junction abuse, death by dangerous driving, excess smoke and noise from exhaust, duff suspension, leaking oil, cash for crash fiddles, underage child in front, lights causing glare, over weight limit, ignoring no entry signs, parking without permit, not having control of your vehicle, improper use of horn, using horn at night, no in date photo licence, no licence application after long ban, without prescribed eyewear, failing to stop for police/lollipop/zebra etc - ran out of space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:01:04 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
soup wrote:
It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So
in these days of austerity - especially with most councils - why
shouldn't they contribute towards that?

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't.

Driver of motorised vehicles contribute to the pot via fuel duty etc and
VED.

A non driver who gambles, smokes and drinks a lot will pay FAR more into the pot than a tee total vicar that pootles about in his zero rated car does.

So what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are
guilty as charged.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

soup wrote:
It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So
in these days of austerity - especially with most councils - why
shouldn't they contribute towards that?

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't.

Driver of motorised vehicles contribute to the pot via fuel duty etc and
VED.

A non driver who gambles, smokes and drinks a lot will pay FAR more into the pot than a tee total vicar that pootles about in his zero rated car does.

So what?

You have a degree in red herrings.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 16:56:15 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are
guilty as charged.

You are the master!

--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 7:30:33 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Dave Plowman (News) wrote

It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for
cyclists.
So in these days of austerity - especially with most councils -
why shouldn't they contribute towards that?

In what way?
By paying a tax that does not exist?

He's saying that there should be a tax that cyclists have to pay,
pay for all that road modification that only cyclists benefit from.

I agree.
Let's call it council tax.

That can't fly because non cyclists pay that too.

So do non drivers.

Non drivers dont pay the fuel tax.

I bought a gallon of petrol for a lawn mower and had to pay full price.

Trivial to the amount of petrol car owners buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 3:01:04 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
soup wrote:
It now seems to be a life style choice of many - and they are
demanding lots of alterations to roads specifically for cyclists. So
in these days of austerity - especially with most councils - why
shouldn't they contribute towards that?

What like drivers of motorised vehicles don't.

Driver of motorised vehicles contribute to the pot via fuel duty etc and
VED.

A non driver who gambles, smokes and drinks a lot will pay FAR more into
the pot than a tee total vicar that pootles about in his zero rated car
does.

So what?

The difference is that we know that what is collected in all fuel taxes,
the duty and the VAT. is much less than what is spent on roads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are
guilty as charged.

Definitely. On a typical drive to work, early in the morning, I might
see half a dozen cyclists and of that group, one will be riding
properly, on the road, with lights and maybe even with light coloured or
reflective clothing, while the others will be unlit, wearing dark
clothing, swinging on and off pavements, riding on the wrong side of the
road and ignoring traffic lights that have been red for some time. I may
also see a few cars with one light out, continuing just as the lights
change or speeding a little, but that is out of thousands.

Cyclists (I do ride myself, although not as often as I might) are
generally so poor at obeying the rules and even at taking reasonable
precautions for themselves, that the few that are sensible stand out and
are worthy of remark.

The worst I have seen is a cyclist, on a dark night, dressed in black,
with no lights, with no hands on the handlebars, riding out of a
side-street onto a main road, without looking and busy texting on his phone!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2019 23:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Steve Walker

In article ,
Â*Â*Â* wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving
their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many
are
guilty as charged.

Definitely. On a typical drive to work, early in the morning, I might
see half a dozen cyclists and of that group, one will be riding
properly, on the road, with lights and maybe even with light coloured
or reflective clothing, while the others will be unlit, wearing dark
clothing, swinging on and off pavements, riding on the wrong side of
the road and ignoring traffic lights that have been red for some time.
I may also see a few cars with one light out, continuing just as the
lights change or speeding a little, but that is out of thousands.

Any of these ****ers have bicycle bells, or other warning device for
pedestrians?

I did meet one a couple of days ago. I was walking from my car to the
office when I heard a faint "ting". I had no idea what it was or where
it had come from, until a voice suggested I move to one side to let the
cyclist behind me past - I was walking along a footpath at the time,
that was definitely not a cycle path!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 7:44:42 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

So what?

The difference is that we know that what is collected in all fuel taxes,
the duty and the VAT. is much less than what is spent on roads.

So what?
What does a smoker, gambler or heavy drinker get in return for their taxes that is specific to their taxes?

Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very reason that car drivers would see themselves as being more entitled than a pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads. Sadly, this myth still persists 80 years later.

VED and fuel taxes are just that - TAXES, that's all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 10:50:26 PM UTC, Steve Walker wrote:

The worst I have seen is a cyclist, on a dark night, dressed in black,
with no lights, with no hands on the handlebars, riding out of a
side-street onto a main road, without looking and busy texting on his phone!

SteveW

This is the worst I have seen.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very reason
that car drivers would see themselves as being more entitled than a
pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads. Sadly, this myth still
persists 80 years later.

Exactly my point.

Cyclists want dedicated cycle lanes on roads. Which means they think
themselves more entitled to use that road than others.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Good you think it OK to break any laws because others do it too.

Do you include burglary in that? Rape? Murder?

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very reason
that car drivers would see themselves as being more entitled than a
pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads. Sadly, this myth still
persists 80 years later.

Exactly my point.

Cyclists want dedicated cycle lanes on roads.

some do - others say "we have a perfect right to use the main carriageway.
We refuse to be deprived of that right"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

I don't think he is saying it is ok to break laws. Just that it is
rather irrational to become obsessed with cyclists breaking laws when
most of us are at far higher risk from car drivers doing so. Most
obsessive anti-cyclists seem to be motivated by some more-or-less
subconscious form of envy - their rage is otherwise inexplicable.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are
guilty as charged.

Ah right .

So 'say' something remarkably stupid and incorrect on the web.
When people reply to tell you "erm your making an arse of yourself".
'say' "ah see how all the stupid people reply to me".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 11:23:01 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very reason
that car drivers would see themselves as being more entitled than a
pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads. Sadly, this myth still
persists 80 years later.

Exactly my point.

Cyclists want dedicated cycle lanes on roads. Which means they think
themselves more entitled to use that road than others.

I object to having to pay for speed humps out of my council tax.
If drivers did not routinely break the law, we could save all of that money on humps and spend it elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

So what?

The difference is that we know that what is collected in all fuel taxes,
the duty and the VAT. is much less than what is spent on roads.

So what?

So clearly car drivers are more than paying for the roads they use.

Cyclists dont pay for the modifications to roads done for them.

What does a smoker, gambler or heavy drinker get
in return for their taxes that is specific to their taxes?

The smoker and drinker get their much higher medical costs paid for.

Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very
reason that car drivers would see themselves as being more
entitled than a pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads.

But they still pay much more than roads cost in their fuel tax.

Sadly, this myth still persists 80 years later.

It isnt a myth.

VED and fuel taxes are just that - TAXES, that's all.

But TAXES that more than pay for the roads they use.

Doesnt happen with cyclists who dont pay for
the modifications to roads done for cyclists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

Agreed.

Most obsessive anti-cyclists seem to be motivated
by some more-or-less subconscious form of envy

That’s completely silly.

their rage is otherwise inexplicable.

Bull****. It isnt rage, they are just very irritated by the
fact that cyclists can't go at anything like the speed
that cars can, even in built up areas and hate the
disruption they cause to traffic, particularly when
there is more than one in the group and the ****ers
insist on riding side by side instead of in a single line.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 8:03:57 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Bull****. It isnt rage, they are just very irritated by the
fact that cyclists can't go at anything like the speed
that cars can, even in built up areas and hate the
disruption they cause to traffic, particularly when
there is more than one in the group and the ****ers
insist on riding side by side instead of in a single line.

Yet you will happily sit in this lot all day long as at least you are being held up by your own kind? How odd.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzZFm7WWkAAbf4c.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 11:23:01 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very reason
that car drivers would see themselves as being more entitled than a
pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads. Sadly, this myth still
persists 80 years later.

Exactly my point.

Cyclists want dedicated cycle lanes on roads. Which means they think
themselves more entitled to use that road than others.

I object to having to pay for speed humps out of my council tax.

Then you should set fire to yourself outside the council offices.

That will certainly stop them doing that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 8:03:57 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Bull****. It isnt rage, they are just very irritated by the
fact that cyclists can't go at anything like the speed
that cars can, even in built up areas and hate the
disruption they cause to traffic, particularly when
there is more than one in the group and the ****ers
insist on riding side by side instead of in a single line.

Yet you will happily sit in this lot all day long as at least
you are being held up by your own kind? How odd.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzZFm7WWkAAbf4c.jpg

I hardly ever do that. The last time was a few
months ago going to this. http://hmfd.com.au/
and thats because the road to it comes of a
major national highway and they have to stop
the traffic in one direction to let the traffic in the
other direction into that road off the highway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 9:12:46 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzZFm7WWkAAbf4c.jpg

I hardly ever do that. The last time was a few
months ago going to this. http://hmfd.com.au/
and thats because the road to it comes of a
major national highway and they have to stop
the traffic in one direction to let the traffic in the
other direction into that road off the highway.

In my 159 I have the DAB radio set so that it turns on when there are traffic alerts on BBC Humberside, Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield. There has NEVER yet been a traffic report that has mentioned a cyclist causing traffic jams, only cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzZFm7WWkAAbf4c.jpg

I hardly ever do that. The last time was a few
months ago going to this. http://hmfd.com.au/
and thats because the road to it comes of a
major national highway and they have to stop
the traffic in one direction to let the traffic in the
other direction into that road off the highway.

In my 159 I have the DAB radio set so that it turns on when
there are traffic alerts on BBC Humberside, Leeds, Nottingham
and Sheffield. There has NEVER yet been a traffic report that
has mentioned a cyclist causing traffic jams, only cars.

Irrelevant to whether cyclists should be paying
for the modifications to roads for cyclists.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are
guilty as charged.

Ah right .

So 'say' something remarkably stupid and incorrect on the web.
When people reply to tell you "erm your making an arse of yourself".
'say' "ah see how all the stupid people reply to me".

Think you should be replying to swildxer (must be a cyclist as doesn't
want to be identified)

Whose response to cyclists breaking the law is to quote others doing it
too.

That you think that fine says much about you.

--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
In my 159 I have the DAB radio set so that it turns on when there are
traffic alerts on BBC Humberside, Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield. There
has NEVER yet been a traffic report that has mentioned a cyclist causing
traffic jams, only cars.

You often get roads closed due to an accident involving a cycle. Causing
massive traffic jams. Most commonly when they overtake on the nearside a
vehicle turning left.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Winston Churchill scrapped the road fund in 1937 for the very reason
that car drivers would see themselves as being more entitled than a
pedestrian or horse rider to use the roads. Sadly, this myth still
persists 80 years later.

Exactly my point.

Cyclists want dedicated cycle lanes on roads.

IME that's the last thing I/they want - more dedicated tracks away from
roads. Most UK roads were never built for cycle lanes, and painting a
'lane' on the tarmac doesn't work.

Which means they think
themselves more entitled to use that road than others.

I don't think it's entitled in the sense you mean - just common sense
dividing up of different traffic for safety, efficiency and convenience.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
soup wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Wonder if they ignore the highway code as regularly when driving their car?

Like this lot, you mean?

It is oh so easy to bait cyclists. Probably because they know so many are
guilty as charged.

Ah right .

So 'say' something remarkably stupid and incorrect on the web.
When people reply to tell you "erm your making an arse of yourself".
'say' "ah see how all the stupid people reply to me".

Think you should be replying to swildxer (must be a cyclist as doesn't
want to be identified)

Why would I 'aim' my reply at him? You were the one that 'said'
cyclists were easy to bait.

Whose response to cyclists breaking the law is to quote others doing it
too.

That you think that fine says much about you.

Please point out to me where I 'said', or even implied, that it was OK
to break the law.

You do realise I have no direct link with this "swildxer" and our
thought trains are not at all linked?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 12:23:31 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
In my 159 I have the DAB radio set so that it turns on when there are
traffic alerts on BBC Humberside, Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield. There
has NEVER yet been a traffic report that has mentioned a cyclist causing
traffic jams, only cars.

You often get roads closed due to an accident involving a cycle. Causing
massive traffic jams. Most commonly when they overtake on the nearside a
vehicle turning left.

You mean drivers who ignore HC 151?

QUOTE: "be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side."

http://www.highwaycode.info/rule/151
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 10:30:25 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Irrelevant to whether cyclists should be paying
for the modifications to roads for cyclists.

We pay council tax, as I have already said, which goes into pothole repairs caused by car and lorry drivers, repairs to road signs that have been bent by car drivers, speed humps. parking bays, speed limits signs (waste of money) and a few pots of paint for cycle lanes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
You often get roads closed due to an accident involving a cycle.
Causing massive traffic jams. Most commonly when they overtake on the
nearside a vehicle turning left.

You mean drivers who ignore HC 151?

QUOTE: "be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on
either side."

Now quote what it says to cyclists on the subject.

But perhaps you'd prefer a driver to run round a pedestrian in front of
him while continually looking behind for cyclists with a death wish?

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*