Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower Tray

Working on ideas for replacing bath with a shower.

1. The waste pipe exits the bathroom a few inches above floor level.
2. Lowering the waste may not be a good option.
3. I fancy a "walk in" concept with a long tray - with a bit of floor
beyond. Maybe a 1200/ 1400 long tray in place of the 1700 long bath.
4. What are thoughts on tray on legs versus building a raised false floor
where the bath had been to accomodate a tray and a dry step-in area? Would
this be more solid?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2019 21:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Working on ideas for replacing bath with a shower.

1. The waste pipe exits the bathroom a few inches above floor level.
2. Lowering the waste may not be a good option.

May not? or is not?

3. I fancy a "walk in" concept with a long tray - with a bit of floor
beyond. Maybe a 1200/ 1400 long tray in place of the 1700 long bath.

Are you ok with a step up to it?

4. What are thoughts on tray on legs versus building a raised false floor
where the bath had been to accomodate a tray and a dry step-in area? Would
this be more solid?

Doing your own plinth will leave you a much wide range of shower trays
to choose from. Also you can use a nice solid stone resin tray which are
much quieter in operation, and feel solid under foot.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doing your own plinth will leave you a much wide range of shower trays
to choose from. Also you can use a nice solid stone resin tray which
are much quieter in operation, and feel solid under foot.

Thanks - that is encouraging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

On 07/02/2019 21:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Working on ideas for replacing bath with a shower.

1. The waste pipe exits the bathroom a few inches above floor level.
2. Lowering the waste may not be a good option.

May not? or is not?

It would need a hole boring through a joist - which also carries a few
cables. It would need alterations to the outside stack to accomodate a
lower waste. I would definately need a tray with a drain on the short edge
otherwise several joists would need boring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you ok with a step up to it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gBEgUXe9wPrUaAiH9

It would not be very high. Maybe 4 inches. My wife has wanted this for ages
- she currently has a (diabetic related) foot problem and cannot weight
bear. Hopefully this will be resolved in a few months - but is spurring me
into action as a seat in a shower would help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 10:08, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/02/2019 21:23, DerbyBorn wrote:
Working on ideas for replacing bath with a shower.

1. The waste pipe exits the bathroom a few inches above floor level.
2. Lowering the waste may not be a good option.

May not? or is not?

3. I fancy a "walk in" concept with a long tray - with a bit of floor
beyond. Maybe a 1200/ 1400 long tray in place of the 1700 long bath.

Are you ok with a step up to it?

4. What are thoughts on tray on legs versus building a raised false floor
where the bath had been to accomodate a tray and a dry step-in area?
Would
this be more solid?

Doing your own plinth will leave you a much wide range of shower trays
to choose from. Also you can use a nice solid stone resin tray which are
much quieter in operation, and feel solid under foot.

+1.
Alternatively, if you really can't connect to a lower part of the stack
(drop through the ceiling below and box-in the pipe?), then maybe a
shower waste pump would be worth investigating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1.
Alternatively, if you really can't connect to a lower part of the
stack (drop through the ceiling below and box-in the pipe?), then
maybe a shower waste pump would be worth investigating.

No - going through the ceiling (lounge) would not be something I would want
to do. I suppose going lower on the stack with a collar is possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

+1.
Alternatively, if you really can't connect to a lower part of the
stack (drop through the ceiling below and box-in the pipe?), then
maybe a shower waste pump would be worth investigating.

No - going through the ceiling (lounge) would not be something I would want
to do. I suppose going lower on the stack with a collar is possible.

You can get shower waste pumps that will pump uphill, so they can be
installed higher than the shower tray. Not that I would really
recommend relying on machinery unnecessarily.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 10:24, DerbyBorn wrote:

Are you ok with a step up to it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gBEgUXe9wPrUaAiH9

It would not be very high. Maybe 4 inches.

Ah, ok that's not going to be a problem normally... even if you add on
the height of the rim of the tray.

(I quite like a traditional "deep" tray rather than the modern ultra
shallow ones, since when the long haired women of the house clog the
drain, you get a bit more warning before it overflows!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 12:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
+1.
Alternatively, if you really can't connect to a lower part of the
stack (drop through the ceiling below and box-in the pipe?), then
maybe a shower waste pump would be worth investigating.

No - going through the ceiling (lounge) would not be something I would want
to do. I suppose going lower on the stack with a collar is possible.

Yup, a strap boss is an easy way to get another connection to a soil stack.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 08/02/2019 12:03, DerbyBorn wrote:
+1.
Alternatively, if you really can't connect to a lower part of the
stack (drop through the ceiling below and box-in the pipe?), then
maybe a shower waste pump would be worth investigating.

No - going through the ceiling (lounge) would not be something I would want
to do. I suppose going lower on the stack with a collar is possible.

Yup, a strap boss is an easy way to get another connection to a soil stack.

And with a blanking plug, a way to deal with the redundant hole in
the stack...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----