Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Central Heating not working (update)

Further to my earlier post see below...

You may recall that my old (external) condensate pump appeared to have
developed an electrical problem where it would cut out whenever there
was a demand for it, resulting in the loss of power to the boiler and a
"reboot"t. The boiler was restarted every time there was a demand for
the pump.

In order to keep the boiler working in the few days until I managed to
get hold of a new pump I had bypassed the pump by extending the
condensate pipe from the boiler and run it to a corner under the house.
Plenty of ash and soil there, and 1m+ clearance, so should have just
gotten absorbed.

I followed the advice given here, and replaced the condensate pump
yesterday - a like for like replacement. Took a water bottle with me,
and it does seem to work as it should. I filled it up a few times.

However, one thing I noticed whilst there was that corner that the
extended pipe that I had fitted to drain the condensate water to
appeared dry, suggesting that the boiler does not produce any condensate
water at all... The boiler had been running for a couple of hours prior
to me going there.

Since yesterday I have not noticed the pump working at all. It is under
the house, but can be heard if you are in the room above. I was in that
room for a few hours with the boiler running, and nothing.

Any idea what is going on? The boiler seems to work fine - heating and
hot water (it is a combi).

I checked under the boiler - no water there. Getting under the house is
tricky, and before I go there again to check that the pipe boiler-pump
is still in position (very very unlikely that it moved), is there
anything else to consider (inside the boiler perhaps)?

TIA.

Have a 5 year old WB combi that is regularly serviced and works fine (I
believe).

In the last two days we experienced two problems:

1. The hot water cutting off during a shower. Turning the water off,
waiting for a few seconds and turning it back on resumes hot water
(until the next time...).

2. Heating that cuts off at random times, and does not seem to respond
to demand signal from the programmable room thermostat.

We are using one of these:
https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/c...om-thermostat/
which I believe is a rebadged Honeywell basic(ish) version. I fitted it
2 years ago to replaced a failed Honeywell 927.

Earlier today I tried to create artifical demand for the heating/boiler
by setting the target temp to 30c, but the relay failed to turn itself
on (led stayed off). Pressing the manual/override button on the relay
box turned the led on and the boiler started.

A few hours later the heating was once again not working as expected, so
I repeated the above. This time the relay failed to start - the override
button does not seem to do anything.

The display on the controller is bright and clear, and there is no
indication that the batteries are low (there is usually a message).

- My gut feeling is that the relay box is dead. Any thoughts?
- Why would the hot water keep on cutting off then? because the boiler
receives random requests for heating from the faulty relay during a shower?
- Any other suggestions as to the cause?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

I was in that room for a few hours with the boiler running, and nothing

Can you tell if the boiler is operating within its condensing range?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I thought only sometimes did the condensing bit kick in on these
boilers.
Not being a boiler owner I only know about other peoples who seem to get
most issues when its really cold weather.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
JoeJoe wrote:

I was in that room for a few hours with the boiler running, and nothing

Can you tell if the boiler is operating within its condensing range?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained on 14/01/2019 :
Yes I thought only sometimes did the condensing bit kick in on these boilers.
Not being a boiler owner I only know about other peoples who seem to get
most issues when its really cold weather.

That, due to the condensate drain freezing - rather unlikely with the
present weather.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 10:33, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

I was in that room for a few hours with the boiler running, and nothing

Can you tell if the boiler is operating within its condensing range?

Hold fire...

Just turned the boiler on again (it is not cold enough for the pipes to
freeze BTW), and I am certain that I heard the pump working!

All's well, I hope, for now.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that JoeJoe formulated :
Hold fire...

Just turned the boiler on again (it is not cold enough for the pipes to
freeze BTW), and I am certain that I heard the pump working!

All's well, I hope, for now.

Thanks again for taking the time.

I run a dehumidifier in the utility, to enable clothes to be dried
quickly and efficiently in there, without on making the place damp.
Rather than constantly monitoring the automaticly run dehumidifier, I
use a simple 'tell tale'. A clear plastic drain pipe runs down from the
dehumidifier, to a drain. I have that arranged so the pipe rises so as
to pass over an ordinary clothes peg, which causes the pipe to retain a
small bubble of water. At a glance, I can check the bubble of water is
there which confirms the dehumidifier is producing condensate and
working fine, even though it might not be running at the time I decide
to check it. Just a thought..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2019 09:42, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Any idea what is going on?Â* The boiler seems to work fine - heating and
[...]

Well it depends a bit on how much its collecting (they usually collect
in into a syphon reservoir, so it can be dispensed in bursts rather than
as a continuous trickle. So higher return temps will mean less
collected. Many combis don't condense on DHW production.

Also you can check the condensate trap at the boiler - make sure its not
blocked or full of stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the boiler isn't clearing condensate it'll either stop working or condensate will emerge somewhere undesirable surely?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2019 15:11, Cynic wrote:

If the boiler isn't clearing condensate it'll either stop working or condensate will emerge somewhere undesirable surely?

Yup if its accumulating and can't get out it will lockout the boiler
eventually.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2019 19:05, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/01/2019 15:11, Cynic wrote:

If the boiler isn't clearing condensate it'll either stop working or
condensate will emerge somewhere undesirable surely?

Yup if its accumulating and can't get out it will lockout the boiler
eventually.

A bit old now, but the new pump is working. Reason I thought it wasn't
was that the new one is much quieter, and could hardly be heard when
kicking in from under the floorboards. I also put some foam between the
back of the pump and the wall, which seems to help.

Thanks again.