tinklemagoo

Default Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe

Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe

Marley Plastic waste pipe 40mm + Lead waste pipe inside diameter approx 55mm

I have removed old lead waste pipe from bathroom which was for the bath and
wash basin. Problem I cut the lead pipe back to 6 inches from wall and now
have to join the new plastic waste pipe to this when the 40mm plastic pipe
is inserted into lead pipe there is a gap about 5mm around plastic pipe.

I intend to wrap hemp mixed with plumbers mait around last 4 inches of
plastic pipe and then insert this into lead pipe and then use a screwdriver
to force hemp/mait tight around gap between lead pipe and plastic pipe.

Q) Would this give me a reliable water tight joint or is this just a bodge
and is there a special fitting/method for this job.

tia...

Christian McArdle

Q) Would this give me a reliable water tight joint or is this just a bodge
and is there a special fitting/method for this job.

I'd bung a bit of silicone in there too!

Christian.

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:34:32 +0000, John Stumbles wrote:

"tinklemagoo" wrote in message
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe

Marley Plastic waste pipe 40mm + Lead waste pipe inside diameter approx

55mm

I have removed old lead waste pipe from bathroom which was for the bath

and
wash basin. Problem I cut the lead pipe back to 6 inches from wall and now
have to join the new plastic waste pipe to this when the 40mm plastic pipe
is inserted into lead pipe there is a gap about 5mm around plastic pipe.

I intend to wrap hemp mixed with plumbers mait around last 4 inches of
plastic pipe and then insert this into lead pipe and then use a

screwdriver
to force hemp/mait tight around gap between lead pipe and plastic pipe.

Q) Would this give me a reliable water tight joint or is this just a bodge
and is there a special fitting/method for this job.

Ernie: Are you going to just sit there and annoy me or are you going to read
your newspaper?
Eric: I can do both!

Er, yes it is a bodge, but it might still give you a reliable water-tight
joint :-)

I'd be inclined to go for silicone or gripfill rather than hemp & mait to
get some mechanical grip to the joint, and I'd perhaps try slitting a short
length of plastic pipe and slipping (and solvent-welding it) over your main
plastic pipe to try to make a tight fit into the lead with a bit of silicone
or whatever to just fill the gaps. Incidentally is the 40mm pipe you're
using push-fit or solvent weld (PP or ABS)? If the former you'd find solvent
weld would be a better fit as it's slightly larger diameter.

A more pukka way would be if a 50mm plastic compression joint made a good
connection with the lead (depends not just on diameter but also if the lead
is circular enough).

I think you'll find the ID of the nominal 50mm muPVC pipe is about 56mm.
That would jam down rather well into the lead.
A bit of silicone grease could help it its way.
Sparky tape around the outside and a very large jubilee clip should just
about smake it indestructable.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk