Freda

Default Gas Torches

I need to do a plumbing repair and will be replacing a soldered fitting.

Can anyone recommend a soldering gas torch?

Maplin do a few - a "kit" for £30, a "micro" torch for £10 and a
"microjet" torch for £10.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

--
It works better if you plug it in.
- Sattinger's Law -
Grunff

Freda wrote:

I need to do a plumbing repair and will be replacing a soldered fitting.

Can anyone recommend a soldering gas torch?

Maplin do a few - a "kit" for £30, a "micro" torch for £10 and a
"microjet" torch for £10.

The micro torches will be of no use whatsoever for plumbing. You will
need a bigger torch, such as the Taymar range as sold in B&Q etc.

Having said that, I must admit that I never had any luck with those on
22mm; the only thing that's ever worked for me reliably is my
Rothenburger (any plumber's merchant).

--
Grunff
nightjar

"Freda" wrote in message
I need to do a plumbing repair and will be replacing a soldered fitting.

Can anyone recommend a soldering gas torch?

Maplin do a few - a "kit" for £30, a "micro" torch for £10 and a
"microjet" torch for £10.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

I use a 4.5kg Calor gas cylinder with a 35mm diameter nozzle attached via a
flexible hose. It will usually manage, but I wouldn't want to have to use
anything smaller.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
The micro torches will be of no use whatsoever for plumbing. You will
need a bigger torch, such as the Taymar range as sold in B&Q etc.

I bought one of those when I couldn't get a spare canister for my Camping
Gaz one, and although it worked ok, it leaked an entire canister over the
period of a few days.

Having said that, I must admit that I never had any luck with those on
22mm; the only thing that's ever worked for me reliably is my
Rothenburger (any plumber's merchant).

My all in one Camping Gaz one is ok for 28mm. But if I was doing a lot of
this I'd get one with a separate cylinder.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Christian McArdle

I need to do a plumbing repair and will be replacing a soldered
fitting.

Can anyone recommend a soldering gas torch?

Some essential features:

1. F*cking big (especially if you're doing more than 15mm)
2. Push ignition.

Something like a Bernzomatic TS2000T. Easily obtainable from B&Q Warehouse,
amongst others. Ignore the small Go-Gas/Taymar type things which give a
broad cool flame for paint stripping, rather than a hot localised flame
required for plumbing.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/catal2.htm#TS2000T

Christian.

Nick Brooks

Grunff wrote:
Freda wrote:

I need to do a plumbing repair and will be replacing a soldered fitting.

Can anyone recommend a soldering gas torch?

Maplin do a few - a "kit" for £30, a "micro" torch for £10 and a
"microjet" torch for £10.

The micro torches will be of no use whatsoever for plumbing. You will
need a bigger torch, such as the Taymar range as sold in B&Q etc.

Having said that, I must admit that I never had any luck with those on
22mm; the only thing that's ever worked for me reliably is my
Rothenburger (any plumber's merchant).

I agree with the above and also with this torch test:-

http://www.fmb.org.uk/publications/m...april03/26.asp

Buy the best Rothenberger Super Fire 2

Nick
BraileTrail

In message , Nick Brooks
writes
I agree with the above and also with this torch test:-

http://www.fmb.org.uk/publications/m...april03/26.asp

Buy the best Rothenberger Super Fire 2

Nick

I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will definitely go
for the Rothenburger! :-)

Now I ask myself, do I truly trust this review!

Regards,
BraileTrail
Christian McArdle

I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will definitely
go for the Rothenburger! :-)

A bit bizarre that no Bernzomatics were tested either, given that they could
well be the most commonly found in practice.

Christian.

Lurch

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:49:17 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will definitely
go for the Rothenburger! :-)

A bit bizarre that no Bernzomatics were tested either, given that they could
well be the most commonly found in practice.

Most common would most probably be the trusty old Primus 2000 like
what I've got, then the Rothenberger.
Bernzomatic is not quite so common if you look at what th pros use.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Christian McArdle

Most common would most probably be the trusty old Primus 2000 like
what I've got, then the Rothenberger.
Bernzomatic is not quite so common if you look at what th pros use.

I've usually seen Bernzomatic. However, I've only seen a few, so I doubt my
experience is statistically significant.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Most common would most probably be the trusty old Primus 2000 like
what I've got, then the Rothenberger. Bernzomatic is not quite so
common if you look at what th pros use.

I've usually seen Bernzomatic. However, I've only seen a few, so I doubt
my experience is statistically significant.

Aren't these all a bit expensive - and rather large to store - for a one
off job? I suppose they might be worth it if you're going to burn off a
lot of paint as well, but despite being a tool junkie I've not found the
need for anything bigger than a decent all in one blowlamp.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Tony Bryer

In article , John Stumbles
wrote:
The Wickes £25 piezo ignition kit also seemed OK to me though I
only fired it up and waved the flame around, and didn't use it
in anger.

At which point Security removed you from the store? g

Lurch

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:39:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Most common would most probably be the trusty old Primus 2000 like
what I've got, then the Rothenberger. Bernzomatic is not quite so
common if you look at what th pros use.

I've usually seen Bernzomatic. However, I've only seen a few, so I doubt
my experience is statistically significant.

Aren't these all a bit expensive - and rather large to store - for a one
off job? I suppose they might be worth it if you're going to burn off a
lot of paint as well, but despite being a tool junkie I've not found the
need for anything bigger than a decent all in one blowlamp.

Depends what you want to use one for. However I was pointing out
popularity, not price or ease of use. I got mine for nothing, and it
does all I want it to do.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Christian McArdle

(...) but despite being a tool junkie I've not found the need
for anything bigger than a decent all in one blowlamp.

It basically depends if you do any 22mm. A five quid Taymar simply won't
work properly for this. You'll probably burn away any surround combustibles
without melting the solder.

Besides, they're great for lighting barbecues!

Christian.

Nick Brooks

BraileTrail wrote:
In message , Nick Brooks
writes

I agree with the above and also with this torch test:-

http://www.fmb.org.uk/publications/m...april03/26.asp

Buy the best Rothenberger Super Fire 2

Nick

I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will definitely go
for the Rothenburger! :-)

Now I ask myself, do I truly trust this review!

Regards,
BraileTrail

Yeah I know - I didnt read the reviews cos I've already got one, but I
was TRYING to be helpful

BraileTrail

In message , Nick Brooks
writes
BraileTrail wrote:
I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will
definitely go for the Rothenburger! :-)
Now I ask myself, do I truly trust this review!
Regards,
BraileTrail

Yeah I know - I didnt read the reviews cos I've already got one, but I
was TRYING to be helpful

No offence meant, I was trying to be amusing. Seems I only succeeded in
being (perceived as ) flippant. :-(

Regards,
BraileTrail
Christian McArdle

It basically depends if you do any 22mm. A five quid Taymar simply
won't work properly for this.

Utter, utter ********. HTH.

Perhaps we're talking about different torches, or you used leaded solder?
All I can say is that I tried to make a 22mm equal T joint for around 2
minutes with the Taymar without success, although it did a good job of
heating the surrounding pipework for several metres. I went down B&Q, came
back with the Bernzomatic and had the joint done in around 10-15 seconds
once I had refluxed. I did manage to fix a 22mm Yorkshire straight with the
Taymar, but it still took over a minute to heat, so it is touch and go
whether the flux is still working by then. The straight connection wasn't
into preexisting pipework, so didn't have such a large "heatsink" attached.

I can only report what I saw with my own eyes.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

Err is that "without success" as in couldn't solder the joint, or
"without success" as in never got hot enough to allow the solder to
flow?

The solder not flowing. It was hot enough to get the flux fizzing away
merrily, though.

That would also indicate trying to work "wet" to me.

It was definitely totally drained down. I only soldered new sections of
pipe. The fact that the proper torch soldered it in seconds tends to support
this. The joint to the preexisting pipework was done with a compression ball
valve as there was no way to drain between the rising main and the
connection point.

I suspect the main difference is that the sort of torch I'm talking about is
even smaller than you imagine or had a wider nozzle. Or maybe it had started
to run out of gas without me noticing. It worked fine for 15mm, though. The
main problem I think was the width of the flame, making it difficult to
concentrate the heat in one area. I think, perhaps, the wide nozzle was the
feature most preventing me soldering it. Also, I was using a ceramic tile as
a heat mat. Maybe a proper reflective heat mat would have given that last
push to the temperature. It was obviously very close, but no cigar.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
TBH if as I suspect you're going to do a few jobs and that's it then I
would go for the Coleman or the Camping Gaz. Shop around and you get
Camping Gaz blowlamps for under a fiver.

Didn't realise they were still available. If so, and they're that cheap,
that would be my recommendation too - much better built than the Taymar
stuff. And just buy a disposable fag lighter rather than a built in piezo
type - they don't go wrong.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
mike ring

mike ring wrote in
52.50:

It also had no trouble with solid brass fittings like drain cocks, which I
*was* concerned about
Freda

mike ring said

I'm glad I didn't ask for advice - I'd be thoroughly confused.

I'm saying nothing...

I just went to B&Q on wrinklies day and got a nice one with screw in
canister and spark ignition.

I went into B&Q on the way home today. Start at £10 and go up from
there.

The advice here is all good - just a pity most of it doesn't really
apply to my particular question and situation. I looked up the price of
one of the suggested items and it was £59.99 - for that money I might
just as well get a plumber in!

But that is Usenet for you - not complaining, the jems make it all
worthwhile. :-)

--
God Himself, sir, does not propose to judge a man until his life
is over. Why should you and I? - Samuel Johnson -
Grunff

Freda wrote:

I went into B&Q on the way home today. Start at £10 and go up from
there.

The advice here is all good - just a pity most of it doesn't really
apply to my particular question and situation. I looked up the price of
one of the suggested items and it was £59.99 - for that money I might
just as well get a plumber in!

The point is that the cheapo ones will work, but if you have any 22mm to
do they will work *only just*.

--
Grunff
John Stumbles

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
I agree too, next time I need to mix some concrete I will definitely
go for the Rothenburger! :-)

A bit bizarre that no Bernzomatics were tested either, given that they

could
well be the most commonly found in practice.

Agreed (as another Berzomatic user :-)

The £10 kit from B&Q with a bottle and a simple nozzle is very good vfm. If
you're doing lots of soldering, a fair amount of 22mm or practically any
28mm stuff the piezo ignition version at about £25 is worth going for. Apart
from the spark ignition the flame puts a lot more heat into the job -
essential for soldering the bigger fittings.

The Wickes £25 piezo ignition kit also seemed OK to me though I only fired
it up and waved the flame around, and didn't use it in anger.

mike ring

Dave Plowman wrote in
:

And just buy a disposable fag lighter rather than a built in piezo
type - they don't go wrong.

Well, my piezo doesn't go wrong, and I got a rather nasty burn on my bare
(thank gawd, dread to think what socks would have caused) while putting a
radiator in in me bathroom using a non automatic, because I couldn't be
bothered to turn it off and relight it. So I replaced it with a resonably
good piezo, (it wasn't much cop anyhow)

Now I always turn it off and pull the trigger to relight when needed;
....applied Darwinism

mike r

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
The point is that the cheapo ones will work, but if you have any 22mm to
do they will work *only just*.

I used my Camping Gaz one recently on 22mm with lead free solder. No
problems, although it did, I reckon, take slightly longer than with the old
lead stuff. But then any type would, if it melts at a higher temp.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:38:55 +0000, mike ring wrote:

mike ring wrote in
52.50:

It also had no trouble with solid brass fittings like drain cocks, which I
*was* concerned about

The difference comes when you try to solder damp pipes.
For new dry work and occasional use a £10 job should be fine.
For every day use you need to spend at least £50.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Grunff

Steve Firth wrote:
Grunff wrote:
The point is that the cheapo ones will work, but if you have any 22mm to
do they will work *only just*.

coughollocks.

Hey look, I'm just telling it like I found it. My first torch (a Taymar)
was terrible for soldering - always took ages, and I was never really
happy with the way the solder flowed.

I subsequently bought a Rothenburger which is infinitely better - I
reckon it must chuck out 2-3 times the power, and the flame must be a
good few hundred C hotter. The pipes heat up really quickly, and the
solder flows like it should.

--
Grunff
PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:50:17 +0000, Grunff wrote:

I subsequently bought a Rothenburger which is infinitely better - I
reckon it must chuck out 2-3 times the power, and the flame must be a
good few hundred C hotter. The pipes heat up really quickly, and the
solder flows like it should.

I doubt your "few hundred C hotter" claim. If that was the case you'd
be looking at a pool of copper on the floor rather than solder flowing
(the solder will have attached itself to the metal ceiling light,
having evaporated under duress).

The major difference will be in the amount of heat the gun can deliver
to the work in a given time, it's a bit like comparing a 15mm pipe to
a 22mm - which one allows more water to flow?

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
John Stumbles

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , John Stumbles
wrote:
The Wickes £25 piezo ignition kit also seemed OK to me though I
only fired it up and waved the flame around, and didn't use it
in anger.

At which point Security removed you from the store? g

Actually I asked the spotty-herbert-in-command firstly if I could look at
one (they keep them locked away with the high value easily nickable stuff)
and then if I could have a go: "as long as I don't see you" wink