Fixing Celotex to walls

Old February 16th 04, 04:36 PM
Stephen Gilkes

Default Fixing Celotex to walls

Hi there

Just about to start insulating my single-skin brick shed with Celotex and
have got a couple of questions:

The Celotex will be fitted to the wall by fixing battens over the Celotex
and then fixed to the wall. What is the best way to attach the battens to
the wall? Should I use screws or masonry nails? If using screws, I need to
put rawl plugs into the brick. What's the best and quickest way to do this?
If I pre-drill all the holes in the brickwork, how can I be sure to line up
the batten with the holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am a total newbie to this kind of
thing.

Stephen

Old February 16th 04, 04:43 PM
MrCheerful

"Stephen Gilkes" wrote in message
Hi there

Just about to start insulating my single-skin brick shed with Celotex and
have got a couple of questions:

The Celotex will be fitted to the wall by fixing battens over the Celotex
and then fixed to the wall. What is the best way to attach the battens to
the wall? Should I use screws or masonry nails? If using screws, I need to
put rawl plugs into the brick. What's the best and quickest way to do

this?
If I pre-drill all the holes in the brickwork, how can I be sure to line

up
the batten with the holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am a total newbie to this kind of
thing.

Stephen

I would glue it on.

MrCheerful

Old February 16th 04, 04:58 PM
Christian McArdle

Should I use screws or masonry nails?

Don't bother with nails. You'll probably end up just ejecting the brick from
the wall, assuming the brick even survives.

If using screws, I need to put rawl plugs into the brick. What's the
best and quickest way to do this?

SDS drill with suitable bit.

If I pre-drill all the holes in the brickwork, how can I be sure to
line up the batten with the holes.

Predrill holes in all the battens first. Then put against the wall in their
final positions. Using a old smaller bit, drill through one of your
predrilled holes (above half way up the batten) into the brick to make a
mark. Remove batten. Drill and plug hole. Attach batten to hole using screw.
Use spirit level to make batten upright. Use old bit again to drill through
each predrilled hole. Remove batten again. Drill and plug each hole.
Reattach batten using screws. If you've got a steady hand or a helper, you
can skip out the steps of attaching by one screw to make the other punch
marks, but you risk misaligning the holes.

Christian.

Old February 16th 04, 05:02 PM
Andy Hall

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:36:04 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

Hi there

Just about to start insulating my single-skin brick shed with Celotex and
have got a couple of questions:

The Celotex will be fitted to the wall by fixing battens over the Celotex
and then fixed to the wall. What is the best way to attach the battens to
the wall? Should I use screws or masonry nails? If using screws, I need to
put rawl plugs into the brick. What's the best and quickest way to do this?
If I pre-drill all the holes in the brickwork, how can I be sure to line up
the batten with the holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am a total newbie to this kind of
thing.

Stephen

I think that a lot depends on what you want to use the shed for and
whether you want to fix things to the battens or to clad it in ply or
something.

If you don't really need to fix anything to it, then you might as well
skip the screws and simply stick the cladding to the wall with
Gripfill. You could then stick a thin ply to the front if you want
to protect it slightly.

If you want something slightly more substantial, then you could do as
you are suggesting. Simply use a long masonry drill and drill through
the Celotex into the wall. You can then remove the sheet and insert
the plugs. Replace the sheet and carefully locate the screws through
the battens and the sheet. The problem with this method is that it
won't support very much if you are trying to do that because the
Celotex will tend to crush if you overtighten the fixings and in any
case mechanically speaking you will have the battens effectively stood
off from the wall on screws by the thickness of the Celotex - it won't
give any support. Therefore it is not going to be a good method if
you are looking to fit heavy shelves.

I insulated my single brick garage using Celotex by first making stud
framing in 75x50mm timber. The rectangular sections produced were
bolted to the floor using Rawlbolts and to the joists using carriage
screws. The rear face of the timber was spaced off from the wall by
about 25mm. The Celotex was cut and friction fitted into the frames
and then the joints taped with foil tape that they supply. Finally,
I clad the framing with 18mm ply. Having the timber framing spaced
off from the wall prevents cold bridging from the wall (although it
does allow some with the floor). An alternative would have been to
bolt the timbers directly to the wall but this would have bridged the
insulation - not necessarily that big a deal in a shed, although you
wouldn't do it in a dwelling. The cladding means that I can fit
light to medium weight things anywere on the walls with no hassle and
for heavier things I have very substantial studs at 600mm intervals.

For the roof I didn't need to fix anything to it, so I used long
drywall screws with large washers to fix the Celotex to the rafters.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Old February 16th 04, 05:59 PM
MrCheerful

"Stephen Gilkes" wrote in message
Hi there

Just about to start insulating my single-skin brick shed with Celotex and
have got a couple of questions:

The Celotex will be fitted to the wall by fixing battens over the Celotex
and then fixed to the wall. What is the best way to attach the battens to
the wall? Should I use screws or masonry nails? If using screws, I need to
put rawl plugs into the brick. What's the best and quickest way to do

this?
If I pre-drill all the holes in the brickwork, how can I be sure to line

up
the batten with the holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am a total newbie to this kind of
thing.

Stephen

If you want to put plaster board over the celotex, then you could first fix
uprights to the wall, fill between with celotex, then plasterboard over the
whole lot. This would give you some solid bits to fix things to. It is
also possible to get plasterboard already fixed to celotex.

MrCheerful

Old February 16th 04, 09:11 PM
Steve

Stephen Gilkes wrote:
Hi there

Just about to start insulating my single-skin brick shed with Celotex and
have got a couple of questions:

The Celotex will be fitted to the wall by fixing battens over the Celotex
and then fixed to the wall. What is the best way to attach the battens to
the wall? Should I use screws or masonry nails? If using screws, I need to
put rawl plugs into the brick. What's the best and quickest way to do this?
If I pre-drill all the holes in the brickwork, how can I be sure to line up
the batten with the holes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Am a total newbie to this kind of
thing.

Stephen

There are some nice "knock-in" fastners from Rawlplug et al. Just drill
through the batten, into the wall and then NAIL the batten on. The
"nail" is a screw like thingy which can be tightened further once it is
on the wall. Very quick and also very strong.

Don't forget the sealing tape stuff too.,

Steve
Old February 17th 04, 01:10 AM
Sploop

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .
Stephen Gilkes wrote:
[...]

Forget the lot use thermoboard, which is plasterboard with 30/40/50 mm
insulation bonded. 17 an 8x4 sheet fix with drywall adhesive.4.75 a 25kg
bag. Bingo finish in one. Standard requirement on newbuild exterior walls.

Steve

Old February 17th 04, 09:19 AM
Christian McArdle

Forget the lot use thermoboard, which is plasterboard with 30/40/50 mm
insulation bonded. 17 an 8x4 sheet fix with drywall adhesive.4.75 a
25kg bag. Bingo finish in one.

For a shed, though, it might be more appropriate to use plywood instead of
(or in addition to) plasterboard, as it is much easier to fix shelving and
racking to.

Christian.

Old February 17th 04, 09:50 AM
Andrew

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..

[...]

Andy,

I want to do something similar and had wondered why you used the
framing method (found in the archive). Now I understand.

Do I need ventilation for the airgap behind the celotex?

Is there another airgap between the celotex and the plywood or do you
fit the celotex flush with the outer face of the battens?

The celotex app notes also suggests using it to insulate the floor
with a covering of flooring grade chipboard. Anyone done this?

Andrew
Old February 17th 04, 10:07 AM
Christian McArdle

The celotex app notes also suggests using it to insulate the floor
with a covering of flooring grade chipboard. Anyone done this?

You can, but if you have the height available, Jablite is cheaper for this
application.

Christian.