PoP

Default Battery circular saws

I know this subject has been discussed before, however I guess I
wasn't taking a whole lot of notice to take the detail in.

I seem to be doing a fair few loft floor installations now, and it
crossed my mind that instead of humping my mains powered circular saw
up into the loft with a trailing cable to cut boards to size maybe I
should get me a battery saw for convenience. Nothing fancy, just able
to chop 18mm boards so relatively small blade diameter would be fine.
Accuracy is not a big deal for loft flooring - plus I've made a jig
which runs the circular saw thru a channel to lop the ends off a
board.

Screwfix offer a Ferm 18v saw:

Question is, anyone got one of these and feel it's worth the price
(£68)?

Comes with 2 18v 1.2Ah batteries and a 1 hour charger. I'm not
bothered if I have to swap batteries a couple of times on a job -
sometimes I have to cut 50+ boards to size, I just need to know if
this is up to doing several boards before the battery life is sucked
into oblivion - I need a saw not a fan.

Other suggestions welcome. I don't want to spend a huge amount on
this, so it rules out the DeWalts etc.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:39:47 +0000, PoP wrote:

[...]

Are you talking chipboard or TGV?

This is not a huge battery capacity so my gut feel says OK for a few
TGV boards, probably disappointing for chipboard.

Do you think it's that big a deal to have cordless for this?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:42:12 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Are you talking chipboard or TGV?

This is not a huge battery capacity so my gut feel says OK for a few
TGV boards, probably disappointing for chipboard.

Chipboard T&G

That's what I wondered. Seems a little light, but maybe someone has
got one and thinks it's okay.

Do you think it's that big a deal to have cordless for this?

Problem is when you are up in a loft sawing up boards it can get a bit
claustrophobic, and it becomes possible to saw thru the cable. That
takes out the lights and you could be in instant blackness

Or has happened to me several times the cable snags as you are part
way thru the board, and you have to back off, release the cable, then
come into the cut again. You tend to be standing on one end of the
board holding it down whilst cutting (if not, holding it with the
other hand), and it very quickly becomes a game of Twister - the twist
being that you've got a very dangerous weapon in one hand!

So yes, I am inclined to feel that cordless would be a positive move.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
MrCheerful

"PoP" wrote in message
[...]

I have an 18v performance power cordless, it is very useful for hardboard or
thin ply, anything over and it struggles. I would not even bother trying to
cut a chipboard flooring panel with it

MrCheerful

Steve Dawson

"MrCheerful" wrote in message

"PoP" wrote in message
[...]

My 18v Dewalt Saw seems to last very well, but you will much thru batteries.

Steve

PoP

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:11:10 GMT, "MrCheerful"
wrote:

I have an 18v performance power cordless, it is very useful for hardboard or
thin ply, anything over and it struggles. I would not even bother trying to
cut a chipboard flooring panel with it

Good advice - thanks! Looks like I'll have to stick with the 240v
version

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

When I did my loft I started with chipboard panels and it was a major
PITA. They were too large to manipulate and cut easily, it was fiddly
to get them to an appropriate length to be supported properly and
awkward to cut to fit where needed. I used a mains circular saw and
the exercise was messy and dusty as well. I also found it a real sod
to get the boards to interlock properly.

So I jettisoned that idea and went for T&G softwood floorboards
instead, These are about 110-120mm wide. I bought long lengths
and precut pieces of three different sizes. This made it easier to
manipulate them in a confined space. I then took my small chop saw
into the loft and was able to cut each piece to final length and fit
it really quickly.

I reckon that I saved over a day of time in the whole job. It is
more expensive material, although one can shop around.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
RichardS

wrote:

I have an 18v performance power cordless, it is very useful for hardboard

or
thin ply, anything over and it struggles. I would not even bother trying

cut a chipboard flooring panel with it

Good advice - thanks! Looks like I'll have to stick with the 240v
version

In that case your first job when starting the boarding could be to screw a
cup-hook into one of the rafters and hang enough cable over that to give you
freedom of movement with the saw and put it down on the floor.

would solve the problem of standing on the cable...

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Hall

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:30:39 -0800, "John Stumbles"
wrote:

I had the PP cordless and (much to my surprise when I first tried it) it was
a wizz on flooring chipboard (is that 'TGV'?)

Nah. That's a French railway train.

T&G means tongued and grooved (generic term)

TGV in timber terms is generally softwood boards with a tongue and
groove profile plus a V groove on the outside formed by chamfering the
edges.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:15:57 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

When I did my loft I started with chipboard panels and it was a major
PITA. They were too large to manipulate and cut easily, it was fiddly
to get them to an appropriate length to be supported properly and
awkward to cut to fit where needed. I used a mains circular saw and
the exercise was messy and dusty as well. I also found it a real sod
to get the boards to interlock properly.

Useful information, thanks.

I do a loft floor in about a day normally, so saving a day isn't such
a big deal for me

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

John Stumbles

"PoP" wrote in message
[...]

a wizz on flooring chipboard (is that 'TGV'?) but the single battery and
crap charger were a pain. I was ogling the screwfix reddish-colour job with
the 2 sanyo batteries but now I've got the PPPro set (drill, jig, circ & tor
ch) with 3 batteries (and not-quite-so-crap charger :-) which does for me.
However unless you want the whole set and/or are prepared to wait for a
special offer on it, if you want a cheapy cordless circular to dip your toe
in the water then your options are the PP 18V one-battery job which ISTR was
on offer recently (and maybe buy another battery), the Screwfix Ferm, or
LIDL's £35 job (one battery, but you could buy 2 machines, then you get a
spare blade and charger as well!)

PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:06:21 -0800, "John Stumbles"
wrote:

In that case you could do one in no time and get an infinite number done in
a day and make LOADSAMONEY!!!!

Money. Fortunately I haven't sacrificed myself to the alter of evil.

Yes I want to earn a living. No I don't want to count the pennies as
they trickle into the bank account. Life's got too much else to offer
to get upset about earning more per second.

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

adder

PoP wrote in message

I have an 18v performance power cordless, it is very useful for hardboard or
thin ply, anything over and it struggles. I would not even bother trying to
cut a chipboard flooring panel with it

Good advice - thanks! Looks like I'll have to stick with the 240v
version

I bought a whatever brand 18V 110mm(?) saw from B&Q (they do them in
argos too) and used to to cut up a 3m length of kitchen worktop in
Wickes car park

It cut that just fine, then about two other crosses before giving up.
On thinner material it might be ok for maybe 5 or 6 cuts but I haven't
really tried it.

BTW the 18v battery works a treat in my 9v drill but using it as a
screwdriver isn't quite so good :-)
PoP

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:39:47 +0000, PoP wrote:

Question is, anyone got one of these and feel it's worth the price
(£68)?

I popped into Focus DIY in Winnersh today and they had a combined
rechargeable drill and circular saw set - with 1 hour charger and 2
batteries! Half price at £39. Couldn't resist.

The circular saw looks a bit on the puny side to me but it'll be
useful for the occasional job I do if it isn't man enough to do the
boarding. And I could do with a 2nd rechargeable drill anyway, that
way I won't have to switch bits when doing drilling and screwing.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

Andy Hall

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:45:14 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:39:47 +0000, PoP wrote:

Question is, anyone got one of these and feel it's worth the price
(£68)?

I popped into Focus DIY in Winnersh today and they had a combined
rechargeable drill and circular saw set - with 1 hour charger and 2
batteries! Half price at £39. Couldn't resist.

How did you manage with the surly teenagers and getting past the
irritating woman accosting people on the way out to sell double
glazing? Unlike the person at Homebase in Bracknell she won't take no
for an answer.

Recent conversation:

Her: "50% off double glazing and conservatories"
Me: "50% off of the price?"
Her: "50% off double glazing and conservatories"
Me: "Do you mean a 50% discount from the normal price?"
Her "50% off double glazing and conservatories. Do you wanna quo'
duck?"
Me: "Not just now, thanks"
Her "But it's 50% off."
Me (making for door): "Really, it's OK"

I'm so tempted to have a money changers in the temple scenario, but
I'd probably be arrested. Next time she does it, I think I'll
arrange a wild goose chase appointment for her :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:51:27 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

How did you manage with the surly teenagers and getting past the
irritating woman accosting people on the way out to sell double
glazing?

There was no-one on the other side of the checkout at about 9:45am
this morning.

Didn't notice the surly teenagers today. The staff seemed to be busy
squirting stuff on the floors and vacuuming everything. Got a bit fed
up having to walk round whole stand areas because they'd conveniently
positioned pallets of stuff and taking up room with vacuum cleaners
and the like.

I did think about tripping over the vacuum cleaner lead so that I
could claim compensation, but I didn't think that would be fair

Unlike the person at Homebase in Bracknell she won't take no
for an answer.

I almost feel sorry for that chap - he seems to be there 5 days a week
at least and it must be the most soul destroying existance possible.
And because I'm in and out of Homebase in Bracknell frequently he must
recognise me - but I still get asked if I'm interested in dodgy double
glazing or whatever it is that he's trying to sell!

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!
Andy Hall

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:14:09 -0800, "John Stumbles"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:45:14 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:39:47 +0000, PoP wrote:

Question is, anyone got one of these and feel it's worth the price
(£68)?

I popped into Focus DIY in Winnersh today and they had a combined
rechargeable drill and circular saw set - with 1 hour charger and 2
batteries! Half price at £39. Couldn't resist.

How did you manage with the surly teenagers and getting past the
irritating woman accosting people on the way out to sell double
glazing? Unlike the person at Homebase in Bracknell she won't take no
for an answer.

I guess that's where the circular saw comes in handy ;-)

Recent conversation:

Her: "50% off double glazing and conservatories"

Me: "Bzzzzzz - oh dear, do watch out, this thing seems to have a very light
trigger, and it's AWFULLY sharp ..."

Her: "50% off duck"

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

I asked him if he could do hardwood and said that he could do PVC that
looked like hardwood and was that all right.

As you say, I feel sorry for him.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

wrote:

Me: "Bzzzzzz - oh dear, do watch out, this thing seems to have a very light
trigger, and it's AWFULLY sharp ..."

You might want to be careful doing Bzzz....Bzzzz.... around ladies.
They might think you've got something else in your toolbag.....

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If
you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk

I apologise for the additional effort, however the
level of unsolicited email I receive makes it
impossible to advertise my real email address!

mike

I popped into Focus DIY in Winnersh today and they had a combined
rechargeable drill and circular saw set - with 1 hour charger and 2
batteries! Half price at £39. Couldn't resist.

Hi PoP,

Is this their own brand?

Is it 18V, 14.4v...?

Mike
Lurch

And although the charger works in charging mode it looks
like it is knackered as it doesn't cut out after the battery is fully
charged.

Cheap ones generally don't.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.