Honeywell 3 port mid position valve - problems with...

Old February 15th 04, 11:17 PM
Jerry.

Default Honeywell 3 port mid position valve - problems with...

Anyone know of any issues with Honeywell 3 port mid position valves, i.e.
installation, location or in service problems etc., I've had three or four
go faulty in the last 4 years since the system (and I hasten to add) was
professionally installed and it sounds like I might be approaching another !

It's either been problems with the valve it's self or the motor drive not
operating (opening the required port(s)) and thus causing the boiler to
overheat and cut out due to there being no flow - and causing hot water and
steam to be forced up into the boiler feed / expansion tank :~(

Old February 15th 04, 11:40 PM
Lurch

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:17:23 -0000, "Jerry."
wrote:

Anyone know of any issues with Honeywell 3 port mid position valves, i.e.
installation, location or in service problems etc., I've had three or four
go faulty in the last 4 years since the system (and I hasten to add) was
professionally installed and it sounds like I might be approaching another !

It's either been problems with the valve it's self or the motor drive not
operating (opening the required port(s)) and thus causing the boiler to
overheat and cut out due to there being no flow - and causing hot water and
steam to be forced up into the boiler feed / expansion tank :~(

I've never come across a problem with them, at least not the way you
say, they'll normally go on for years. It sounds as if it's not been
installed correctly. Check the honywell site for your valve and have a
look at the technical specs and data sheet.
http://tinyurl.com/2ohlc

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 16th 04, 08:27 AM
Peter

Should be very reliable though motor life varies dramatically with
temperature. Do you have unusually high ambient/flow temperatures or high
spec supply voltage?
Otherwise I have seen the rubber 'ball' which directs the flow to have
swollen for some reason, something in the system water assumedly. As you
describe a complete blocking of the flow which normally could not happen
with a three port valve, this could be the case. Perhaps you could do a
complete drain and flush next time, or maybe Honeywell would be interested
in examining your valve.

!

Old February 16th 04, 09:49 AM
Jerry.

"Peter" wrote in message
snip

[ re subject line ]
Should be very reliable though motor life varies dramatically with
temperature. Do you have unusually high ambient/flow temperatures or high
spec supply voltage?

Well it was installed in a loft, on the east aspect and the problems this
time started after a couple of (relatively) deep overnight frosts.... Hummm
!

Otherwise I have seen the rubber 'ball' which directs the flow to have
swollen for some reason, something in the system water assumedly. As you
describe a complete blocking of the flow which normally could not happen
with a three port valve, this could be the case. Perhaps you could do a
complete drain and flush next time, or maybe Honeywell would be interested
in examining your valve.

One more question, would one expect a symphonic flow if there was a complete
pump failure but the ports on the above valve had opened IYSWIM ?

Old February 16th 04, 10:11 AM
Lurch

One more question, would one expect a symphonic flow if there was a complete
pump failure but the ports on the above valve had opened IYSWIM ?

Is that making music with water?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 16th 04, 10:12 AM
Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:49:44 -0000, "Jerry."
wrote:
Should be very reliable though motor life varies dramatically with
temperature. Do you have unusually high ambient/flow temperatures or high
spec supply voltage?

Well it was installed in a loft, on the east aspect and the problems this
time started after a couple of (relatively) deep overnight frosts.... Hummm
!

With the proper frost protection?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 16th 04, 10:35 AM
Jerry.

"Lurch" wrote in message
One more question, would one expect a symphonic flow if there was a

complete
pump failure but the ports on the above valve had opened IYSWIM ?

Is that making music with water?

Not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean making steam, hammer blow
type sounds, and forcing water up into the feed / expansion tank, YES :~(

One pipe form the boiler is VERY hot (can't touch it for more than a second
or two) and the other is not more than warm. This morning there was not heat
in any radiator and the HW hasn't been re heated....

Old February 16th 04, 10:36 AM
Jerry.

wrote:
Should be very reliable though motor life varies dramatically with
temperature. Do you have unusually high ambient/flow temperatures or

high
spec supply voltage?

Well it was installed in a loft, on the east aspect and the problems this
time started after a couple of (relatively) deep overnight frosts....

Hummm
!

With the proper frost protection?

Well it doesn't seem to have any type of frost stat if that is what you
mean.

Even more Ho Hummms...

Old February 16th 04, 11:00 AM
Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:35:02 -0000, "Jerry."
wrote:

"Lurch" wrote in message
One more question, would one expect a symphonic flow if there was a

complete
pump failure but the ports on the above valve had opened IYSWIM ?

Is that making music with water?

Not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean making steam, hammer blow
type sounds, and forcing water up into the feed / expansion tank, YES :~(

One pipe form the boiler is VERY hot (can't touch it for more than a second
or two) and the other is not more than warm. This morning there was not heat
in any radiator and the HW hasn't been re heated....

Sorry, obviously not everyone has my sense of humour, look at
'symphonic flow'.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Old February 16th 04, 11:01 AM
Lurch

wrote:
Should be very reliable though motor life varies dramatically with
temperature. Do you have unusually high ambient/flow temperatures or

high
spec supply voltage?

Well it was installed in a loft, on the east aspect and the problems this
time started after a couple of (relatively) deep overnight frosts....

Hummm
!

With the proper frost protection?

Well it doesn't seem to have any type of frost stat if that is what you
mean.

Even more Ho Hummms...

I think it would be recommended to fit a frost protection kit to the
components in the loft. Assuming the boiler is in the loft also you
want a wall mounted frost stat by the boiler and a pipe stat on the
return, connected in series across the permanent live feed and the
trigger wire on the valve, usually the brown.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.