Richard Savage

Default Crabtree switches

Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

I fitted two intermediate switches in a grid mount about 2 1/2 years
ago. I am just about to replace both switches and grid with a Contactum
twin-gang intermediate switch as the one of the Crabtree grid switches
has failed for the fourth time, i.e. both grid switches have failed
twice.

IMHO at nearly £10 a time this is unacceptable.

Does anyone have a link for Crabtree?

Rgds Richard

Rick Hughes

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

I fitted two intermediate switches in a grid mount about 2 1/2 years
ago. I am just about to replace both switches and grid with a Contactum
twin-gang intermediate switch as the one of the Crabtree grid switches
has failed for the fourth time, i.e. both grid switches have failed
twice.

Did a quick search on Google and found it ....
http://www.electrium.co.uk/crabtree.htm

Personally I prefer MEM grid switches.

Rick

Ian Clowes

Richard Savage wrote in message ...
Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

Hi

No experience of Crabtree, but I was about to ask something similar re
MK equipment.

I've had a dimmer switch and pull cord switch fail in less than a year
each. MK replaced the electronic dimmer without question, but it was
still a pain.

I've bought a no-name replacement for the pull switch for £2 rather
than mess around getting the MK one replaced.

Is it worth buying allegedly decent kit? The mechanical action is
often nicer, but if it packs in after a few months its heaps of
hassle!

IanC
Richard Savage

Ian Clowes wrote:

Richard Savage wrote in message ...
Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

Hi

No experience of Crabtree, but I was about to ask something similar re
MK equipment.

I've had a dimmer switch and pull cord switch fail in less than a year
each. MK replaced the electronic dimmer without question, but it was
still a pain.

I've bought a no-name replacement for the pull switch for £2 rather
than mess around getting the MK one replaced.

Is it worth buying allegedly decent kit? The mechanical action is
often nicer, but if it packs in after a few months its heaps of
hassle!

IanC

The action of the Crabtree switches and the actual 'feel' - no sharp corners etc - was much
nicer than the 'no name' alternatives but if my Contactum switch last the same length of time I
reckon that it will be at least twice as good as the Crabtree switch. This is because the
Contactum switch cost £10 whereas each Crabtree switch cost £10.

Richard

Dave Plowman

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
I don't like Crabtree stuff at all. It even feels cheap and nasty.

It must have gone downhill, then, along with the poorer looks when they
changed design a few years back. I've got the previous 'Classic' stuff
throughout the house including grid switches with not one failure, and I
used to use it near exclusively when I did wiring semi-pro, again with
100% reliability. Not the same with MK, though, although the number of
failures were so small as to be insignificant.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

BigWallop

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
BigWallop wrote:
I don't like Crabtree stuff at all. It even feels cheap and nasty.

It must have gone downhill, then, along with the poorer looks when they
changed design a few years back. I've got the previous 'Classic' stuff
throughout the house including grid switches with not one failure, and I
used to use it near exclusively when I did wiring semi-pro, again with
100% reliability. Not the same with MK, though, although the number of
failures were so small as to be insignificant.

paste
""I don't like Crabtree stuff at all. It even feels cheap and nasty""
paste

I maybe should have added the word "Now" at the end of that sentence, as
Crabtree used to be good quality, but that was back in the seventies and we
used it a lot. Now they seem to be trying to live on past reputation, as a
lot of once good manufacturers are. I seem to be finding a lot more of that
now'a'days.

(grumpy old fart rant over)

impvan

It's not actually the switch which fails, but one of the little lugs
which hold the rocker onto the switch. If you can be bothered, it's
cheaper to buy 1gang1way switches and carefully swap the rockers.
Done this to upwards of 50 of the little buggers in a hotel! Crap
design on Crabtree's part I'm afraid.
Rick Hughes

"Ian Clowes" wrote in message
om...
Richard Savage wrote in message

Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

Hi

No experience of Crabtree, but I was about to ask something similar re
MK equipment.

I've had a dimmer switch and pull cord switch fail in less than a year
each. MK replaced the electronic dimmer without question, but it was
still a pain.

I have had lots of problems with MK dimmers - most fail very soon after
warranty - work as a switch but don't dim.
2 fitted in my place now don't dim.

Rick

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I have had lots of problems with MK dimmers - most fail very soon after
warranty - work as a switch but don't dim.
2 fitted in my place now don't dim.

This is usually caused by a bulb shorting when blowing and taking the
triac with it. So the dimmer no longer dims, but just passes volts at full
level.

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

Rick Hughes wrote:

"Ian Clowes" wrote in message
om...

Richard Savage wrote in message

Can anyone comment on the life expectancy of Crabtree grid switches?

Hi

No experience of Crabtree, but I was about to ask something similar re
MK equipment.

I've had a dimmer switch and pull cord switch fail in less than a year
each. MK replaced the electronic dimmer without question, but it was
still a pain.

I have had lots of problems with MK dimmers - most fail very soon after
warranty - work as a switch but don't dim.
2 fitted in my place now don't dim.

Yup. been there, done thgat.

Problem is blown TRIAC. Easily replaceable, but do it with a bigger one.

In my case manufacture kindly sent ugraded new guts 'we found that
candle bulbs blow them all teh time when they go sir'

Rick