Brad

Default Inventive Connectors

Hi all,

I'm thinking of making a screen out of dowling rods and material,
which would have separate sections. Something like -

-----
| |
| |
-----
| |
| |
| |
| |
-----

Sides & middle bar being dowling rods and the top/bottom simply being
material.

But I can't think of anything suitable for the T connectors in the
middle, or where to look for them. Closest thing I can think of are
those connectors you get in kite kits but haven't seen one of those
for years.

Any ideas? Don't mind if they are plastic or metal, although I'd like
to try and keep the dowling rods smallish so size is the main
requirement.

Thanks,

Brad
Wellard

"Brad" wrote in message
om...
[...]

What size diameter are the rods, if half inch pop along to your local
plumbers merchant and get a couple of T joints.

John Rumm

Brad wrote:

But I can't think of anything suitable for the T connectors in the
middle, or where to look for them. Closest thing I can think of are
those connectors you get in kite kits but haven't seen one of those
for years.

Any ideas? Don't mind if they are plastic or metal, although I'd like
to try and keep the dowling rods smallish so size is the main
requirement.

How about an "equal tee" of the plumbing variety? You can get them for
microbore pipe in 6, 8, and 10mm diameter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Peter Parry

On 12 Feb 2004 11:24:45 -0800, (Brad) wrote:

But I can't think of anything suitable for the T connectors in the
middle, or where to look for them.

I once saw something similar made out of standard radio frequency
coaxial cable components - mainly TNC connectors.

http://www.aepconnectors.com/BNC.html
http://www.surplussales.com/Connectors/TNC-1.html

for pictures.

The connectors are bright plated and the cable end was drilled out to
take the rods. T pieces are available and the result was quite
smart.

Connector costs are about £3 each from www.cpc.co.uk.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

In uk.d-i-y, Peter Parry wrote:

But I can't think of anything suitable for the T connectors in the
middle, or where to look for them.

I once saw something similar made out of standard radio frequency
coaxial cable components - mainly TNC connectors.

Now there's an idea. If you know someone who works at a medium-or-large
size IT installation, and has any responsibility for the networks or at
least happy access to the back of the cupboards where previously-very-useful
but now-obsolete stuff has been squirrelled away, you may find it easy to
get shiny T-pieces of approx. 12mm outside diameter. Coax T-pieces were
all the rage in 10Base2 wiring some, what, 10-15 years back, before
twisted-pair wiring became all the rage. (Hell, if the OP only wants a
couple, I expect I can oblige ;-). Drilling out the guts neatly should be
simple.

But that's only the T-pieces; unfortunately there was very little call for
simple 90-degree pieces for this networking scheme. 'F' pieces - yes, but
much rarer than T-pieces. Simple elbows - scarcely ever (vaguely conceivable
that Black Box would've flogged them for 15quid a time to let you push your
PC an extra half-inch closer to the wall ;-)

HTH, Stefek

RichardS

wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Peter Parry wrote:

But I can't think of anything suitable for the T connectors in the
middle, or where to look for them.

I once saw something similar made out of standard radio frequency
coaxial cable components - mainly TNC connectors.

Now there's an idea. If you know someone who works at a medium-or-large
size IT installation, and has any responsibility for the networks or at
least happy access to the back of the cupboards where

previously-very-useful
but now-obsolete stuff has been squirrelled away, you may find it easy to
get shiny T-pieces of approx. 12mm outside diameter. Coax T-pieces were
all the rage in 10Base2 wiring some, what, 10-15 years back, before
twisted-pair wiring became all the rage. snip

More of an AMP-Tap man myself....

Those were the days. Got myself out of no end of real work sorting out
downed segment faults.... (everyone else thought it a black art).

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Michael McNeil

"****forbrains" wot duz snip meen wrote crapsnip

What size diameter are the rods, if half inch pop along to your local
plumbers merchant and get a couple of T joints.

Or superglue and those special screws used for endgrain.