Default Circular saw not cutting at 90deg

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:46:31 -0000, "Set Square"

Richard wrote:

Hi
I have bought a B&D circular saw (http://tinyurl.com/ypqbd) and
using it today I've found it is not cutting at 90degrees. In fact (if
my maths is correct) it is more like 88-89 degrees or about 1mm out
when cutting 30mm of timber. There seems to be quite a lot of lateral
movement of the blade, which I assume is causing this.

Should I be expecting more accuracy from this? Although not a major
problem at the moment, I would have hoped for better. Are there better
alternatives out there in the same price bracket (£60)?

Thanks

Your saw has the ability to cut at angles of up to 45 degrees by tilting the
sole plate relative to the blade. In order for it to cut square, it is
important that the sole plate is moved right back to its "home" position so
as to be perpendicular to the plane of the blade. It's as well to check this
before concluding that it's faulty.

You may find a stop designed to allow the sole plate return to zero.
On a good saw this will be adjustable. On a cheap saw it may be just
a piece of bent steel. You may have to adjust this back stop to get a
90degree cut

Paul Mc Cann

Lurch

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:01:01 +0000, Richard
wrote:

Hi
I have bought a B&D circular saw (http://tinyurl.com/ypqbd) and using it
today I've found it is not cutting at 90degrees. In fact (if my maths is
correct) it is more like 88-89 degrees or about 1mm out when cutting 30mm
of timber. There seems to be quite a lot of lateral movement of the blade,
which I assume is causing this.

Should I be expecting more accuracy from this? Although not a major
problem at the moment, I would have hoped for better. Are there better
alternatives out there in the same price bracket (£60)?

Cheap saw = low quality. (usually)
B&D = low quality. (usually)
Cheap B&D = low quality.
Makita circular saw = good quality. (£100) Not much extra for a
quality tool.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Set Square

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Matthew Augier \(dps\)

You should find a small screw at the back to limit the upright position. You
probably need to adjust this so that it cuts true to 90deg in he upright
position, same probably goes for the 45deg position at the lower part.

Mat

news

Clay drain pipe cutting. tzd3sw UK diy 4 September 24th 03 03:24 PM
Tips on cutting a worktop Chris Vowles UK diy 10 August 30th 03 06:13 PM
Still on about cutting curves in tiles :-( Roger Mills UK diy 12 August 17th 03 11:43 AM
Cutting Polystyrene Insulation Richard UK diy 16 July 28th 03 11:55 PM