Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default raised beds

Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premi...-2-4m/p/101000

Is this the best timber to use?

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

Some web sites suggest putting a plastic sheet between the wood and
the soil to prevent this contamination but other web sites do not
mention it; is it necessary?

What is the best way to screw four pieces of timber together to make a
rectangular raised bed? I was thinking that I would need to sue a
piece of 2x2 in each corner and screw into these. Half of the 2x2
could be buried in the ground to anchor it.

However, is anchoring necessary: will the weight of the soil no hold
it in place?

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

What is the best way of doing things?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
GB GB is offline

On 26/04/2017 15:15, Stephen wrote:

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

I don't know the answer to your other questions, but I have used
decking, and I wouldn't attempt to screw into the end grain. You might
get away with it, particularly if you put glue in the holes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 15:15:02 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premi...-2-4m/p/101000

Is this the best timber to use?

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

Some web sites suggest putting a plastic sheet between the wood and
the soil to prevent this contamination but other web sites do not
mention it; is it necessary?

Sounds like you already know the answer: opinions vary. The high toxicity preservatives of the past are now banned.

What is the best way to screw four pieces of timber together to make a
rectangular raised bed? I was thinking that I would need to sue a
piece of 2x2 in each corner and screw into these. Half of the 2x2
could be buried in the ground to anchor it.

However, is anchoring necessary: will the weight of the soil no hold
it in place?

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

What is the best way of doing things?

Thanks,
Stephen.

You can screw it either way, into 2x2 is much stronger. Anchoring... if you do something accidentally to lift the wood, it will be lifted. There aren't really any mysteries here.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/17 15:15, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premi...-2-4m/p/101000

Is this the best timber to use?

wood will last about 5-7 years before it rots Whatever wood you use .

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

Some web sites suggest putting a plastic sheet between the wood and
the soil to prevent this contamination but other web sites do not
mention it; is it necessary?

What is the best way to screw four pieces of timber together to make a
rectangular raised bed? I was thinking that I would need to sue a
piece of 2x2 in each corner and screw into these. Half of the 2x2
could be buried in the ground to anchor it.

However, is anchoring necessary: will the weight of the soil no hold
it in place?

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

What is the best way of doing things?

Concrete blocks or bricks, and mortar

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2017 15:15, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premi...-2-4m/p/101000

Is this the best timber to use?

I used 6x2" tanalised softwood when I did mine about 5 years ago.

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

Most of them will be Chromiated Copper Arsenate (CCA) these days, and
research suggests that leaching into the soil over extended periods is
minimal.

Some web sites suggest putting a plastic sheet between the wood and
the soil to prevent this contamination but other web sites do not
mention it; is it necessary?

Not for that reason. You may find it improves water retention - but that
may not be a good thing.

What is the best way to screw four pieces of timber together to make a
rectangular raised bed? I was thinking that I would need to sue a
piece of 2x2 in each corner and screw into these. Half of the 2x2
could be buried in the ground to anchor it.

Corner blocks are easy:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Raised_flower_beds

However, is anchoring necessary: will the weight of the soil no hold
it in place?

For anything except a very small or tall bed I can't see anchoring being
required.

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

You will get a stronger joint with a corner block.

If you want a really strong joint, then cut a finger joint into the ends!

What is the best way of doing things?

Not sure there is a "best" way - much depends on how difficult you want
to make it, and what tools you have available.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

made
On 26/04/17 15:15, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Premi...-2-4m/p/101000

Is this the best timber to use?

Gravel boards are cheaper and just as good:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/search?text=gravel%20boards

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

I made my raised beds from pressure-treated gravel board, and have grown
and eaten several types of veg. As far as I am aware, I am not dead yet.

Some web sites suggest putting a plastic sheet between the wood and
the soil to prevent this contamination but other web sites do not
mention it; is it necessary?

There is a school of thought that this leads to water being trapped
between the polythene and the wood, and actually shortens the life of
the wood, but I do not use polythene so can't comment.

What is the best way to screw four pieces of timber together to make a
rectangular raised bed? I was thinking that I would need to sue a
piece of 2x2 in each corner and screw into these. Half of the 2x2
could be buried in the ground to anchor it.

I used lengths of cut arris rail at each corner:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Arris...x2-4m/p/543318

However, is anchoring necessary: will the weight of the soil no hold
it in place?

If the ground is level, no. But if it is on a slope, I would anchor it
in some way otherwise it might move slowly down the slope.

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

They won't last. Clay soil drying out and getting soaked will move
houses. What do you think it will do to a raised bed held together so
inadequately?

What is the best way of doing things?

A cheap way, if you can find someone who is getting rid of old 2 x 2
paving slabs, is to bury these on edge up to half in the soil, and make
beds with multiple slabs next to each other. These will be pretty
stable in loam or clay soil, but not in sandy soil. They won't look
particularly nice, and will move slightly over time, but if they're free...

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:06:48 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Most of them will be Chromiated Copper Arsenate (CCA) these days, and
research suggests that leaching into the soil over extended periods is
minimal.

Not likely nowadays, it's more likely to be an organic copper
compound.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 April 2017 18:34:24 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
made
On 26/04/17 15:15, Stephen wrote:

Is there a danger of the preservative leaching into the soil? I was
hoping to grow some vegetables to eat and do not want to poison
myself!

I made my raised beds from pressure-treated gravel board, and have grown
and eaten several types of veg. As far as I am aware, I am not dead yet.

Dead people are always unaware that they're dead.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 15:15:01 +0100, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

I am thinking of using wood due to cost, i.e. it is cheap. I see some
people use pressure treated decking boards like these:

What is the best way of doing things?

Not necessarily the best way but if the size suits you then using
pallet collars can be a quick way to get started ,
this sort of thing as shown on this ebay link
https://tinyurl.com/kzbpz4v

They stack on top of each other,
Lick of fence paint on the outside and they can look fairly
respectable.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2017 15:15, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am interested in making raised beds in the garden. I have not done
this before, so I have a couple of questions:

snip
What is the best way of doing things?

Fascinated by this chap on Gardeners World last week.
Did a quick search and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIojWdJz0RE

Step by step "guide for dummies"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You could use western red cedar or thermowood to avoid the problems with
preservatives. Thermowood is decking that been cooked and is fairly rot
resistant. Sometimes B&Q have it.

Red cedar is not cheap but pretty rot resistant untreated (not as much
as teak though).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/17 15:20, GB wrote:
On 26/04/2017 15:15, Stephen wrote:

Do I need to 2x2 at all, as I have seen some beds where the ends have
been butted together and just screwed through.

I don't know the answer to your other questions, but I have used
decking, and I wouldn't attempt to screw into the end grain. You might
get away with it, particularly if you put glue in the holes.

Just put a 2x2" batten down each inside corner and screw into that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2017 10:06, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Red Cedar is nice but really expensive at the moment. You would probably
find English white oak (also durable without treatment) cheaper.

Another option can be reclaimed railway sleepers. Just lay them up like
large lego bricks, drill a hole a knock a spike in at the corners.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Stephen wrote:
[...]

If you are doing to assist a disabled gardener, then don't make the beds
too wide as the use might not be able to reach into the middle!

I got this wrong when I did mine for SWMBO and now I have to do various
jobs in the centre of the beds and I hate gardening!

Long and narrow is the best arrangement.

I also laid in 15mm copper pipe and a valve into the corner of each bed
and connected seep hose to each valve. This allows timed automatic
watering with the option to adjust the flow rate in each bed from 0 to 100%
During wettest months the water feed is turned off and an extra valve
opened (belt and braces possibly) so that freezing does not force the
joints apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I built 3 large raised beds
I do not like idea of wood being in contact with ground - especially
ground you need to keep moist.

I built mine out of 100mm concrete block ... then battened and clad
outer face with wood and fitted wood 'cill' capping.

More work - but will last a lot longer .... unless you use sleeps or
similar ...decking won't last that long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2017 18:28, rick wrote:
[...]

I built 3 raised beds, opportunitstically as Wickes were selling decking
boards very cheaply. 3 years down the line, they're showing no signs of
rot at all.

I used 2x2s in the corners and where the ground wasn't level, I lined
parts of the insides with some old quarry tiles that were lying around
in the garden from before my time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Wood preserver is crap these days.
It won't last more than five or six years.
Plastic might help in this respect.