Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iPad error (-1) [bit of a rant]

Hi
So I have an old iPad 3G version 1. It must be 6 years old. I'd never
used the 3G bit until recently (about 6 months ago) when I stuck in a
SIM card just to see how it performs. It was really hit and miss as to
whether it managed to find the carrier, and after a few days the 3G bit
stopped working. I removed the SIM card.

Since then the battery life has been very bad, and after a few weeks it
just went into recovery mode. Needless to say, recovery in this mode (or
DFU mode) failed with the error code (-1). I tried multiple times;
that's the best advice I found.
Googling this code seemed to indicate a hardware problem. iPad then went
into bottom drawer.

So, a few months later I tried again. Still won't recover (don't know
why I thought it would!). But I googled more and someone suggested it
could be the baseband chip. Now I associate this with the 3G part and
had a look at some disassembly videos.
I broke it open gently, and then simply removed the communications
module. This turned it into a iPad WiFi only - so what. It didn't bother me.

Now I have a working iPad again.

And the rant...
I initially posted my question on apple support community forums. There
did not seem to be anybody else with a solution.
Then I found the cure and posted that thinking that it might help
someone else in the future.

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing
inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..."
I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these
forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered
correctly.
Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

BTW I didn't buy the iPad, it was a gift from a happy customer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/17 09:13, Grumps wrote:

snip

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing
inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..."
I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these
forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered
correctly.
Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

Recycling their old junk loses them a sale, same with discussions of
product unreliability. There are other uncensored forums though ;-)

BTW I didn't buy the iPad, it was a gift from a happy customer.

The film, 'Steve Jobs', is worth a look. Surprised it got released!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2017 09:37, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 24/04/17 09:13, Grumps wrote:

snip

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing
inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..."
I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these
forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered
correctly.
Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

Recycling their old junk loses them a sale, same with discussions of
product unreliability. There are other uncensored forums though ;-)

Their forums are awash with people moaning about problems and no fixes,
and how poor apple are. Those posts haven't been removed.

BTW I didn't buy the iPad, it was a gift from a happy customer.

The film, 'Steve Jobs', is worth a look. Surprised it got released!

If you can guarantee it shows apple in a bad light then I'll watch it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 24/04/17 09:13, Grumps wrote:

snip

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing
inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..."
I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these
forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered
correctly.
Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

Recycling their old junk loses them a sale, same with discussions of
product unreliability. There are other uncensored forums though ;-)

I think a version 1 iPad will be more or less junked anyway thanks to
software updates. It will not be much fun to use.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think many companies do not like anyone telling people to open the product
as it has happened that some ham fisted individuals, reading such things on
a support site have blundered in completely ruined the device then sued the
company for giving advice that renders the unit inoperative and then expects
a new device or compensation. I'm afraid the litigious society has caused
this.
Back in the old days of the 1980s we used to write in magazines about
opening home computers to do various things from change keyboards to
increase memory, but if those times were now, it would be frowned upon I'm
sure.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Grumps" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2017 10:03, Tim+ wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 24/04/17 09:13, Grumps wrote:

snip

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing
inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..."
I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these
forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered
correctly.
Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

Recycling their old junk loses them a sale, same with discussions of
product unreliability. There are other uncensored forums though ;-)

I think a version 1 iPad will be more or less junked anyway thanks to
software updates. It will not be much fun to use.

It still lets me read emails, browse the web (most of it), plays temple
run, PVZ and angry birds. What more do you need!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/17 10:45, Grumps wrote:
On 24/04/2017 10:03, Tim+ wrote:
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 24/04/17 09:13, Grumps wrote:

snip

email from apple: "Your posting has been removed due to discussing
inappropriate activities. See our posting guidelines here ..."
I read the guidelines and it doesn't mention anything other than these
forums are for technical questions and answers. I believe I answered
correctly.
Silly me to think that I could provide assistance to others.

Recycling their old junk loses them a sale, same with discussions of
product unreliability. There are other uncensored forums though ;-)

I think a version 1 iPad will be more or less junked anyway thanks to
software updates. It will not be much fun to use.

It still lets me read emails, browse the web (most of it), plays temple
run, PVZ and angry birds. What more do you need!

Flash videos

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2017 09:13, Grumps wrote:
[...]

1984 Apple-style...

iPad USB chargers Liam O'Connor Home Repair 2 May 17th 14 09:47 PM
Dishwasher error says 'filling fault' but it fills (Baumatic BDW10, error code E1) [email protected] UK diy 2 July 2nd 11 03:44 PM
iPad 2 Bill[_18_] UK diy 25 June 24th 11 12:04 AM
is there vender error and good error [email protected] Electronics 0 October 26th 08 10:32 PM
ON TOPIC (RANT) MidAmerican Extrusions (RANT) Pedro Metalworking 4 April 25th 05 11:02 PM