Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing "non-repairable" shoes.

I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Before I bin them, has anybody successfully sawn off the end of the heel
(the part that contacts the ground) and replaced it?

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Another Dave Wrote in message:
I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Before I bin them, has anybody successfully sawn off the end of the heel
(the part that contacts the ground) and replaced it?

Another Dave

Cobblers!?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017 14:49:15 +0100, Another Dave wrote:

Before I bin them, has anybody successfully sawn off the end of the heel
(the part that contacts the ground) and replaced it?

My local shoe repair franchise re-heeled mine by grinding off the old
stuff and gluing on 'rubber'[1] heels. The first repair lasted 2 years
and I've just had them done again.

[1] may not be actual rubber but neoprene or some such.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2017 14:49, Another Dave wrote:
I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Before I bin them, has anybody successfully sawn off the end of the heel
(the part that contacts the ground) and replaced it?

Another Dave

It's a bit fiddly, but you should be able to re-build the heel with Shoe
Goo.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Care-Prod...nce/B000RA5UNU
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:
Another Dave Wrote in message:
I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Before I bin them, has anybody successfully sawn off the end of the heel
(the part that contacts the ground) and replaced it?

Another Dave

Cobblers!?

+1

Unless you're dead set on DIYing it I would have thought it makes more
sense to take it to someone with all the tools, glues, replacement soles
and experience. Far more likely to make a reasonably lasting job of it (if
it's possible) than doing it yourself.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

Unless you're dead set on DIYing it I would have thought it makes more
sense to take it to someone with all the tools, glues, replacement soles
and experience. Far more likely to make a reasonably lasting job of it (if
it's possible) than doing it yourself.

The local shoe repairer said it wasn't possible, hence my question.

Perhaps I'll try elsewhere.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

Unless you're dead set on DIYing it I would have thought it makes more
sense to take it to someone with all the tools, glues, replacement soles
and experience. Far more likely to make a reasonably lasting job of it (if
it's possible) than doing it yourself.

The local shoe repairer said it wasn't possible, hence my question.

Ah, that's different then, now it's a challenge! ;-)

Perhaps I'll try elsewhere.

No harm asking. It may be time time to write the shoes off but hopefully
you'll find someone prepared to "give it a go". That said, I wouldn't get
your hopes up too high.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

Unless you're dead set on DIYing it I would have thought it makes more
sense to take it to someone with all the tools, glues, replacement soles
and experience. Far more likely to make a reasonably lasting job of it (if
it's possible) than doing it yourself.

The local shoe repairer said it wasn't possible, hence my question.

Ah, that's different then, now it's a challenge! ;-)

Perhaps I'll try elsewhere.

No harm asking. It may be time time to write the shoes off but hopefully
you'll find someone prepared to "give it a go". That said, I wouldn't get
your hopes up too high.

I've been wearing Clarke's Polyveldts (now called something else, I forget
what) all my life (*) , and they always fail the same way - the sole cracks
across at the ball of the foot. I've never found any way of fixing them,
the every shoe repairer I've shown them too has declined to attempt it. No
glue I've ever used will close the crack for more than an hour or two. The
uppers are always OK, and I just sigh deeply and throw them away. Any way
of fixing them would be most welcome.

(* Called "programmer's shoes" by a FOAF)

Clarkes fit whole new soles, or used to.

The original Polyveldts were fantastic shoes but I've not see them for
35 years or so. There are Clarkes' shoes with similar soles etc but not
the original style. I've had some resoled in the past. Whether it is
economic is debatable, as I recall it cost about half the new price but
you could sometimes get new shoes at a Clarkes outlet for 2/3 the high
street price.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

I used to wear those, for years, but stopped. It may have been because
they didn't apparently make them any more, so I'd be interested to know
what they *are* called now!

And yes, they always failed at that point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 22/04/2017 14:49, Another Dave wrote:
I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Are you saying that some shoes are made with a heel that is separate from
the sole and is glued/welded onto it in such a way that this bond can be
broken and a new heel attached to the sole? All the shoes I've seen have an
all in one moulded sole/heel, and when I've had them re-heeled, part of the
heel has been ground off to make a flat surface onto which a new
partial-thickness heel is bonded.

Which reminds me, I need this operation doing on one of my pairs of shoes,
because my left shoe always wears down on the LHS side of the heel; the
right shoe wears on the opposite side but far less so. Someone who analyses
gait would probably tell me that I walked all wrongly :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2017 14:49, Another Dave wrote:
I've got a pair of shoes which are a bit down at heel. The leather
uppers are in fine shape and the soles have quite a few miles left.

The problem is the heels. They seem to be solid from top to bottom i.e.
there's no removable sole I can replace. To complicate matters there's a
circular shock absorbing insert down the middle.

Before I bin them, has anybody successfully sawn off the end of the heel
(the part that contacts the ground) and replaced it?

Another Dave

we used to repair composite heels and soles years ago so I would imagine
they still do, but it will cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

The original Polyveldts were fantastic shoes but I've not see them for
35 years or so. There are Clarkes' shoes with similar soles etc but not
the original style. I've had some resoled in the past. Whether it is
economic is debatable, as I recall it cost about half the new price but
you could sometimes get new shoes at a Clarkes outlet for 2/3 the high
street price.

I wear Clarkes shoes and the style I wear now has very elastic soles and
do not crack. Others I have had crack within 3 or 4 weeks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2017 18:05, NY wrote:

Which reminds me, I need this operation doing on one of my pairs of
shoes, because my left shoe always wears down on the LHS side of the
heel; the right shoe wears on the opposite side but far less so. Someone
who analyses gait would probably tell me that I walked all wrongly :-)

Do you get leg pains?
You probably need orthotic insoles which you can get on the NHS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

The original Polyveldts were fantastic shoes but I've not see them for
35 years or so. There are Clarkes' shoes with similar soles etc but not
the original style. I've had some resoled in the past. Whether it is
economic is debatable, as I recall it cost about half the new price but
you could sometimes get new shoes at a Clarkes outlet for 2/3 the high
street price.

I wear Clarkes shoes and the style I wear now has very elastic soles and
do not crack. Others I have had crack within 3 or 4 weeks.

Shurely you take them back for a refund/replace??
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"NY" Wrote in message:
[...]

Penguin gait with left hand down?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yep, you mum was right, you should have been sent to your room
for not walking properly or flogged until you did walk properly if
you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last time she tried that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Which reminds me, I need this operation doing on one of my pairs of
shoes, because my left shoe always wears down on the LHS side of the
heel; the right shoe wears on the opposite side but far less so. Someone
who analyses gait would probably tell me that I walked all wrongly :-)

Yep, you mum was right, you should have been sent to your room
for not walking properly or flogged until you did walk properly if
you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last time she tried that.

It's interesting that it only really started about five years ago when I had
a heart attack and cardiac arrest. Although I've made a pretty full recovery
(confounding the doctors who told my wife and parents that my chances of
survival were low, and when I did survive that my chances of not having
brain damage were low) I did to begin with have a bit of weakness on one
side of my body, and I wonder if it's affected my gait in a way that I can't
even notice - I can still walk briskly or cycle, and I don't *think* I'm
lopsided.

Anyway, since then, then rear left edge on the heel of my left shoe seems to
wear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Which reminds me, I need this operation doing on one of my pairs of
shoes, because my left shoe always wears down on the LHS side of the
heel; the right shoe wears on the opposite side but far less so. Someone
who analyses gait would probably tell me that I walked all wrongly :-)

Yep, you mum was right, you should have been sent to your room
for not walking properly or flogged until you did walk properly if
you hadn't enjoyed that so much the last time she tried that.

It's interesting that it only really started about five years ago when I
had a heart attack and cardiac arrest.

Yeah, you likely did get some brain damage from
the oxygen starvation during the cardiac arrest.

Although I've made a pretty full recovery (confounding the doctors who
told my wife and parents that my chances of survival were low, and when I
did survive that my chances of not having brain damage were low) I did to
begin with have a bit of weakness on one side of my body,

Yeah, bet thats it, its affected your gait.

and I wonder if it's affected my gait in a way that I can't even notice

Yeah, but you limp in a way that a pro would notice.

I can still walk briskly or cycle, and I don't *think* I'm lopsided.

Not lop sides so much as a bit of a limp I bet.

Anyway, since then, then rear left edge on the heel of my left shoe seems
to wear.

Yeah, thats certainly the reason for it. You're very lucky
thats the only real downside you ended up with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-04-23, Tim+ wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
On 23/04/17 08:55, Tim+ wrote:

I wear Clarkes shoes and the style I wear now has very elastic soles and
do not crack. Others I have had crack within 3 or 4 weeks.

Shurely you take them back for a refund/replace??

should have said they were not from clarkes, and they did go back for
refund.