Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flipping over turf

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:41:48 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Huge wrote
Bod wrote

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

Dandelions just grow close to the ground instead.

Not here they didnt. Those who mowed them and those who
didnt bother all got the same result none of them in a few weeks.

Eh? They vanished from doing nothing?

--
If it's zero degrees outside today and it's supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow, how cold is it going to be?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

Huge wrote
Bod wrote

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

Dandelions just grow close to the ground instead.

Not here they didnt. Those who mowed them and those who
didnt bother all got the same result none of them in a few weeks.

Eh? They vanished from doing nothing?

Yeah, they are seasonal after all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 April 2017 19:18:35 UTC+1, Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the old turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the turf completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

One reason for doing this is to save carrying lots of turf and hiring a skip. I also want to raise the overall level of the lawn.

Is this plan feasible or just potty?

Potty.
The reason you lawn is bad is because you mow it and take away nutrients (nitrogen) that grass needs with the mowings.

Weeds have deep tap roots and can get what they need from deep down.
Mow regularly and fertilize with high nitrogen fertilzers.
Check the Ph is around 7.5. Coarse grass & weeds likes lower Ph. Add lime if needed.
If your soil is light, it will be acidic.
Kill remaining weeds with spot treatment weedkiller.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_cycle
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 13:50:57 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/04/2017 23:42, newshound wrote:
On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

--
Max Demian

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.
So mowing is normal.
As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Huge wrote
Bod wrote

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

Dandelions just grow close to the ground instead.

Not here they didnt. Those who mowed them and those who
didnt bother all got the same result none of them in a few weeks.

Eh? They vanished from doing nothing?

Yeah, they are seasonal after all.

Doesn't bother me what grows on my lawn. It's a soft flat green area. Moss, clover, grass, whatever.

--
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Huge wrote
Bod wrote

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass
likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

Dandelions just grow close to the ground instead.

Not here they didnt. Those who mowed them and those who
didnt bother all got the same result none of them in a few weeks.

Eh? They vanished from doing nothing?

Yeah, they are seasonal after all.

Doesn't bother me what grows on my lawn.

I'd rather mine hadn't been invaded by kikuyu which
is essentially african jungle pretending to be grass.

It's a soft flat green area. Moss, clover, grass, whatever.

You've clearly never tried kikuyu or buffalo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, The
Peeler writes

Are you senile? You ARE senile, right? BG

I think I may be heading that way. Did something yesterday I've never
done before.

There I am yesterday morning, sitting on the bog, doing what needs to be
done, not a care in the world, stood up, closed the lid and flushed,
only to realise I had missed out the paper stage. Slightly worrying.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

--
Max Demian

Exactly. if you don't fertiize, all you get growing is deep rooted weeds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Only if you rake it or use a box. I don't. Even people who do still have healthy green lawns without adding anything, so clearly it doesn't need fertiliser.

For a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Only if you rake it or use a box. I don't. Even people who do still have healthy green lawns without adding anything, so clearly it doesn't need fertiliser.

For a while.

I've not fertilised mine or left the clippings on it for 17 years. It's fine.

--
FART stands for FAst Repetitive Ticks, and herrings use them to communicate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Ours has never been fertilsed nor watered, I always leave the clippings
on the lawn, they provide nutrients when they break down naturally.
Our lawns look as good as anyone elses that do fertilise their lawns.
I let ours go brown in the dry summers, I actually like that because it
saves me constantly cutting the lawns.
They always recover under their own steam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

I leave my clippings on the lawn through laziness. I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn, they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

--
A "Frisbeterian" believes that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it back down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

--
Max Demian

Exactly. if you don't fertiize, all you get growing is deep rooted weeds.

If they're green, they're still a lawn.

--
See if you type in a really big word, like
Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotri mmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyp hophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleio lagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon,

If you're wondering, it's a Greek word meaning a fricasee dish with 17 sweet and sour ingredients, including brains, honey, vinegar, fish, pickles, and the following: fish slices, fish of the Elasmobranchii subclass (a shark or ray), rotted dogfish or small sharks head, silphion laserwort €“ a kind of fennel, a kind of crab, beetle, or crayfish, eagle, cheese, honey, wrasse or thrush, topped with a sea fish or blackbird, wood pigeon, domestic pigeon, chicken, roasted headof dabchick, hare (a kind of bird or sea hare €“ a mollusk), must (wine), dessert, fruit, or other raw food, and wing or fin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 19:28:17 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the old turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the turf completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

I expect the old grass will grow through.

Well since he wants grass there again, why is this a problem?

--
Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the creator of human intelligence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 19:48:27 +0100, wrote:

On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the old turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the turf completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

One reason for doing this is to save carrying lots of turf and hiring a skip. I also want to raise the overall level of the lawn.

Is this plan feasible or just potty?

This will give you a soft and uneven surface as the grass decomposes.
It's far better to cut it off and use new top soil to build up the
height you want before sowing the seed. As they say: BTDTGTTS.
If I was doing the job again I would use turf rather than seed - you
don't need to fend off birds and I suspect it would give a more even result.

Birds don't eat grass seed, it's got a bad flavour added to it.

--
I spent a couple of hours defrosting the fridge last night, or "foreplay" as she likes to call it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

I don't mow mine, but when I did I never used the catcher.
No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the old
turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative
approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the turf
completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil
on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

I expect the old grass will grow through.

Well since he wants grass there again, why is this a problem?

No point in the massive effort of turning the turf over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

You have a lawn 3 foot high then? Or do you hire a gardener?

No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

Don't you have a wheely bin for garden refuse?

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Everything else blows around, like tree leaves. My neighbour's always moaning she gets mine.

--
Peter is listening to "DJ Splash - New life"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 April 2017 08:57:01 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 12:05:53 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 20/04/2017 09:00, harry wrote:

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Exactly. if you don't fertiize, all you get growing is deep rooted weeds.

Insects provide a fair bit of fertiliser (poop).

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the old
turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative
approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the turf
completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil
on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

I expect the old grass will grow through.

Well since he wants grass there again, why is this a problem?

No point in the massive effort of turning the turf over.

Agreed. Or removing it. I assume he has poor quality sparse grass and wants to plant fresh seed in some new compost on top, while also making it higher. If some of the old grass grows through, who cares?

--
When shagging a goat you are best taking it to the edge of a cliff because they push back harder. -- Billy Connelly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Nope, Kikuyu never gets that high. a foot a most.

Or do you hire a gardener?

Nope, a lawnmower either.

No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

Don't you have a wheely bin for garden refuse?

Nope. One for non recyclable garbage
and other for recyclable garbage.

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Everything else blows around, like tree leaves.

Nope, lawn clippings don't. They fall down between the
blades of grass that are still there after the mowing.

My neighbour's always moaning she gets mine.

That's stuff that is chucked into her place by the mower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, 21 April 2017 08:57:01 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 12:05:53 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
On 20/04/2017 09:00, harry wrote:

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Exactly. if you don't fertiize, all you get growing is deep rooted weeds.

Insects provide a fair bit of fertiliser (poop).

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass
likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom,
which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.

It evolved to tolerate grazing.

So mowing is normal.

Well, "natural", as in similar to the natural state.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Because it loses leaf matter to the mower.

Exactly. if you don't fertiize, all you get growing is deep rooted weeds.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage.

The park next to my house has NEVER been fertilised in the
50 years its been there. Its mowed every couple of weeks or
so in the summer and less often in the winter with a ****ing
great tractor mounted mower that is about twice the size
of my car with the cuttings left where they fall.

It is normal grass, nothing even remotely like deep rooted weeds.

My backyard has kikuyu that is about a foot deep and it has never
ever been fertilized in 50 years either and there are sweet **** all
deep rooted weeds there either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message . com, The
Peeler writes

Are you senile? You ARE senile, right? BG

I think I may be heading that way. Did something yesterday I've never
done before.

There I am yesterday morning, sitting on the bog, doing what needs to be
done, not a care in the world, stood up, closed the lid and flushed, only
to realise I had missed out the paper stage. Slightly worrying.

Just the Alzheimer's, nothing to worry about.

Wont be long before you are going shopping bare arsed too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

--
Max Demian

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.
So mowing is normal.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Pigs arse it does. The park next to my place has NEVER been fertilized in 50
years.

Neither has my grass and mine isnt even mowed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Fancy looking grass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...andestinum.jpg

A foot is still rather long. Don't people call you a hermit?

Or do you hire a gardener?

Nope, a lawnmower either.

No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

Don't you have a wheely bin for garden refuse?

Nope. One for non recyclable garbage
and other for recyclable garbage.

3rd world country. I have 5 different collections for stuff.

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Everything else blows around, like tree leaves.

Nope, lawn clippings don't. They fall down between the
blades of grass that are still there after the mowing.

Possibly.

My neighbour's always moaning she gets mine.

That's stuff that is chucked into her place by the mower.

Possibly, I use a flymo.

--
What did the Alabama sherriff call the ****** who had been shot 15 times?
Worst case of suicide he had ever seen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:51:32 +0100, Graeme wrote:

In message . com, The
Peeler writes

Are you senile? You ARE senile, right? BG

I think I may be heading that way. Did something yesterday I've never
done before.

There I am yesterday morning, sitting on the bog, doing what needs to be
done, not a care in the world, stood up, closed the lid and flushed,
only to realise I had missed out the paper stage. Slightly worrying.

The paperwork is a vital part of any business, especially so when it
comes to the completion of shipping invoices. :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Johnny B Good
writes
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 08:51:32 +0100, Graeme wrote:

There I am yesterday morning, sitting on the bog, doing what needs to be
done, not a care in the world, stood up, closed the lid and flushed,
only to realise I had missed out the paper stage. Slightly worrying.

The paperwork is a vital part of any business, especially so when it
comes to the completion of shipping invoices. :-)

grin It was an absolutely true story, too, which is very slightly
depressing. Oh well, at least I realised ...
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's a ****ing aggressive grass, looks pretty
good if you keep mowing it. It's a runner grass.

A foot is still rather long. Don't people call you a hermit?

No one can see it in the backyard and I don't give a
flying red **** what anyone thinks about anything.

Or do you hire a gardener?

Nope, a lawnmower either.

No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

Don't you have a wheely bin for garden refuse?

Nope. One for non recyclable garbage
and other for recyclable garbage.

3rd world country. I have 5 different collections for stuff.

Mindlessly stupidly over complicated. You lot are
paying for that stupidly over complicated stupidity.

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Everything else blows around, like tree leaves.

Nope, lawn clippings don't. They fall down between the
blades of grass that are still there after the mowing.

Possibly.

Absolutely certainly.

My neighbour's always moaning she gets mine.

That's stuff that is chucked into her place by the mower.

Possibly, I use a flymo.

Absolutely certainly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:49:31 +0100, Rod Speed

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't you prefer to see a nice flat lawn?

Or do you hire a gardener?

Nope, a lawnmower either.

No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

Don't you have a wheely bin for garden refuse?

Nope. One for non recyclable garbage
and other for recyclable garbage.

3rd world country. I have 5 different collections for stuff.

Mindlessly stupidly over complicated. You lot are
paying for that stupidly over complicated stupidity.

No, we're sorting it so we don't have to pay them to do so .

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Everything else blows around, like tree leaves.

Nope, lawn clippings don't. They fall down between the
blades of grass that are still there after the mowing.

Possibly.

Absolutely certainly.

How can you be sure, have you stood there and watched?

--
Bad or missing mouse. Spank the cat [Y/N]?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Sure, if there was some completely automatic
lawnmower I could just buy and turn on.

But not if I have to mow the ****ing
thing every week except in winter.

Or do you hire a gardener?

Nope, a lawnmower either.

No point in wasting your time carting up to the dump etc.

Don't you have a wheely bin for garden refuse?

Nope. One for non recyclable garbage
and other for recyclable garbage.

3rd world country. I have 5 different collections for stuff.

Mindlessly stupidly over complicated. You lot are
paying for that stupidly over complicated stupidity.

No, we're sorting it so we don't have to pay them to do so .

You pay for 5 different collections.

We arent stupid enough to pay anyone to sort
what shows up in the 2 collections we have.

I'm not convinced they fertilise MY lawn,

Corse it does, there is nothing else for it to do.

they probably blow away by the time they've rotted.

Nope, not on any lawn I have ever observed. The park next
to my house is mown with a ****ing great tractor which
always leaves the clippings on the mown grass. Even when
its been a long time since the previous mow and there is
lots of visible clippings on the mown grass, it doesn't stay
there for more than a few days even when there is no wind.

Everything else blows around, like tree leaves.

Nope, lawn clippings don't. They fall down between the
blades of grass that are still there after the mowing.

Possibly.

Absolutely certainly.

How can you be sure, have you stood there and watched?

I've looked at it after it has been mowed. There are no cuttings
visible except when it hasn't been mowed for weeks before cutting.
And even then, it doesn't stay visible for long, a week at most
before its all disappeared into the stuff left after the mowing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/04/2017 19:18, Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the
old
turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an alternative
approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the
turf
completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of top soil
on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

I expect the old grass will grow through.

Well since he wants grass there again, why is this a problem?

No point in the massive effort of turning the turf over.

Agreed. Or removing it. I assume he has poor quality sparse grass

Yes, but needs to determine why its like that. If its heavy clay
and with **** all drainage or those grubs in the soil munching
on the roots, what you need to do is quite different.

and wants to plant fresh seed in some new compost on top, while also
making it higher.

If that's what he wants to do, makes a lot more
sense to just rotary hoe the area and seed that.
But only if the soil is suitable and doesn't have
those grubs.

If some of the old grass grows through, who cares?

Its unlikely he cares about jus which
grass it is or he would have said that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

I presume harry as referring to grass which is mown and the cuttings taken away, making the ground more suitable for weeds than grass.

Mind you, I mow my lawn and leave the cuttings on it, and it's full of weeds. It's probably more to do with sunlight, water, and surrounding trees taking nutrients away.

--
Bill Clinton thinks "harass" is two words.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

He'd be wrong about that too. Even when the cuttings
are removed, you still don't need to fertilise it.

Mind you, I mow my lawn and leave the cuttings on it, and it's full of
weeds. It's probably more to do with sunlight, water, and surrounding
trees taking nutrients away.

Nope. You don't mow it enough. Mow it enough and the weeds don't last long.
They cant survive having their heads chopped off. Grass doesn't care.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That doesn't mean grass *likes* being cut.

--
Max Demian

Grass evolved to be cut by grazing animals.
So mowing is normal.

As there is no animals ****ting, it has to be fertilized instead.

Pigs arse it does. The park next to my place has NEVER been fertilized in 50
years.

Neither has my grass and mine isnt even mowed.

Indeed - mainly plants just need water and CO2.

--
BREAKFAST.SYS halted... Cereal port not responding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 18:41:48 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Huge wrote
Bod wrote

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass
likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

Dandelions just grow close to the ground instead.

Not here they didnt. Those who mowed them and those who
didnt bother all got the same result none of them in a few weeks.

Eh? They vanished from doing nothing?

Yeah, they are seasonal after all.

Doesn't bother me what grows on my lawn.

I'd rather mine hadn't been invaded by kikuyu which
is essentially african jungle pretending to be grass.

Oh, I thought you planted that on purpose.

It's a soft flat green area. Moss, clover, grass, whatever.

You've clearly never tried kikuyu or buffalo.

I looked at a photo of Kikuyu and it looks fine to me. Just wider blades than I have here.

--
English German
Indicators ---- Die Blinkenleiten Tickentocken
Bonnet ---- Pullnob und Knucklechopper
Exhaust ---- Die Spitzenpoppenbangentuben
Speedometer ---- Der Egobooster und Linenshooter
Clutch ---- Die Kuplink mit schlippen und shaken
Puncture ---- Die Phlatt mit Bludy****en
Learner Driver ---- Die ****ten mit Elplatz
Estate Car ---- Der Bagmooroomfurshagginauto
Parking Meter ---- Der Tennerpinscher und Klockenwerr
Windscreen Wiper ---- Der Flippenflappenmuckenschpredder
Footbrake ---- Der Edbangeronvindschreen Stoppend
Gear Lever ---- Biggen Sticken fur Kangaroochoppen
Breathalyser ---- Die Pu titintem fur Pistenarsen
Seat Belt ---- Der Klunkenklikker Frauleintrapper
Headlights ---- Das Dippendontdazzleyubastad
Exhaust Fumes ---- Der Koffenundschpittpoluter
Highway Code ---- Der Wipan fur Arsen
Fog Warning ---- Die Puttenlegdownen und Fukkit
Traffic Jam ---- Die Bluddifukkink Dammundblast
Rear Seat ---- Der Schpringentester
Backfire ---- Der Lowdenbangenmekkenjumpen
Articulated Lorry ---- Der Fukkengrett Trukken
Accident ---- Der Bleedinmess
Near Accident ---- Der Fukken Near Schittsenselfen
Service Station ---- Der Heiway Robberungen
Cyclist ---- Der Pedallpushink Pilloken
Double White lines ---- Overtakenund Krunchen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/18/2017 8:21 AM, Bod wrote:

[...]

Yep, my trees have never had anything else.

The biggest ones are immense now.

Flipping Flopper [email protected] Metalworking 1 December 27th 08 03:04 AM
Flipping Flopper Jim Chandler Metalworking 0 December 26th 08 01:36 AM
House Flipping: Flip A House: Real Estate Flipping: Property Flipping Gotitontheweb UK diy 1 October 29th 07 07:07 PM
B&Q turf in2minds UK diy 8 May 29th 04 12:52 PM
Turf Simon UK diy 3 September 27th 03 05:44 PM