Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Default flytipping

Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

Brian, Bill posted a picture of a portaloo which must have fallen off
the back of a truck into a ditch. Or been thrown there by vandals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/17 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

Another "unintended consequence" by a government lacking critical thinking:

1) 1995 - Sutton Council stuck skips everywhere every 6 months for
general use;

2) Some greenie says "we need to reduce landfill, let's not do that -
and make it so even small commercial traders cannot use most dumps and
if they use ones with a weighbridge, we'll charge a fortune";

3) Increase in flytipping;

4) Introduce waste transport certification to combat fly tipping;

5) No difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback was thinking very hard :
On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

+1

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three
free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback
on a scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to
save money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost
more for the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly
tipping'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually I have spoken to the council at length about this, just after they
started to charge 62 quid a year to remove garden waste. they tell me that
the government has imposed a land fill tax on all councils which has
recently risen considerable. this is to encourage the use of recycling
schemes. However some of the rubbish seems to not have any bin for it, and
it it is this that g gets fly tipped. Builldiing rubble, old sofas aand
mattresses and old domestic appliences. yYou can take the old domestic
appliences in for free but they charge to pick them up.
The same goesfor mattresses and sofas, but general rubble and crap seems
to still be an issue here.

If you allowed some kind of agrogate supplier into the loop they would love
some of this rubble. It seems daft that they charge to process it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Broadback was thinking very hard :
On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If
you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in
effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

+1

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three
free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback on a
scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to save
money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost more for
the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly tipping'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 10:49:38 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Broadback was thinking very hard :
On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple.
If you charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you
in effect are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

+1

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three
free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback on
a scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to save
money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost more
for the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly
tipping'.

I have been to the council tip twice in the last week (haven't had to go
for quite a while before that).

1) I had a car full of broken down and flattened cardboard boxes that had
been collected by a family member, who then decided they didn't want
them. Queued to get into tip and indeed inside the tip, then directed to
a space a long way from the cardboard hopper. Lugged a load of it across,
to be told that the hopper was full and they couldn't take it. I was told
I would have to take it to Sainsburys as "they do recycling". I needed
the car for other duties, so rather than unload, I did a 12 mile round
trip to the next tip.

2) I went back with a bed that was wood covered in PVC. Was told it was
'bulky waste' and the hopper was full. Repeated the 12 mile round trip as
the car was in demand. At the other tip (same council) I was told it was
household waste and to put it in the appropriate hopper (I could have
done that at the first place if they'd let me).

I complained both times to the council and at least had a positive
sounding apology. The contractor should be moving the hopper to another
container when the first one is full, and I should have been able to wait
that short time.

(Incidentally, on my 12 mile round trip I pass a good site for flytipping)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2017 10:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback was thinking very hard :
On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple.
If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in
effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

+1

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three
free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback on
a scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to save
money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost more
for the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly tipping'.

Agree 100%, but you need to have a brain to see the logic in your argument.

When I finished uni the 4 that came bottom of the class (all received a
3rd, i.e. "we should have failed you, but did have the heart to after 4
years") went to work for the council... They are probably controlling
budgets of 10s of millions now...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 March 2017 10:11:16 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
On 26/03/17 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

Another "unintended consequence" by a government lacking critical thinking:

1) 1995 - Sutton Council stuck skips everywhere every 6 months for
general use;

2) Some greenie says "we need to reduce landfill, let's not do that -
and make it so even small commercial traders cannot use most dumps and
if they use ones with a weighbridge, we'll charge a fortune";

3) Increase in flytipping;

4) Introduce waste transport certification to combat fly tipping;

5) No difference.

What's different is that government is now extracting your money.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained on 26/03/2017 :
However some of the rubbish seems to not have any bin for it, and it it is
this that g gets fly tipped. Builldiing rubble, old sofas aand mattresses and
old domestic appliences.

The exception for us is builders rubble, everything else sofas,
mattresses, furniture etc. is collected and disposed of for free. We
have three wheelie bins, green - paper/cans/cardboard packing; black
general rubbish; brown - garden rubbish for composting.

Bulky waste collection can be booked on line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/26/2017 5:49 AM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback was thinking very hard :
On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple.
If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in
effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

+1

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three
free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback on
a scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to save
money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost more
for the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly tipping'.

Our local council have also started to charge - just a bit over 16GBP
for up to three items, paid in advance by card.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 03:41:54 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

I'll bet there is a hell of a mess inside.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 26/03/17 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

Another "unintended consequence" by a government lacking critical thinking:

1) 1995 - Sutton Council stuck skips everywhere every 6 months for
general use;

2) Some greenie says "we need to reduce landfill, let's not do that -
and make it so even small commercial traders cannot use most dumps and
if they use ones with a weighbridge, we'll charge a fortune";

3) Increase in flytipping;

4) Introduce waste transport certification to combat fly tipping;

Actually, that significantly reduced the number of lead acid
batteries recycled. They used to be carried back by the vans
delivering new batteries, but that became illegal, and they
each needed paperwork which cost money and many people found
wasn't worth the effort anymore.

5) No difference.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Probably got there on a recent wind storm day.

One group had youtube footage of an E-type bog tearing down a busy A road in
lashing rain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/17 19:01, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

4) Introduce waste transport certification to combat fly tipping;

Actually, that significantly reduced the number of lead acid
batteries recycled. They used to be carried back by the vans
delivering new batteries, but that became illegal, and they
each needed paperwork which cost money and many people found
wasn't worth the effort anymore.

I am such a cynical sod, that I find it completely amazing that I
underestimated that ^^^

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 March 2017 09:19:29 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.

I try to be responsible.

I drop my rubbish somewhere then phone in anonymously to report it so it gets picked up by the council. :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 March 2017 11:35:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

There is no such thing as garden waste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry has brought this to us :
[...]

Small branches, hedge cuttings, grass cuttings etc.. Local council
collect it and mass compost it, then resell it I understand.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

I'll bet there is a hell of a mess inside.

And have you noticed the pollution?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 March 2017 20:06:42 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
harry has brought this to us :
[...]

news Broadback was thinking very hard :
[...]

You should do that yourself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2017 10:49, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Broadback was thinking very hard :
On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple.
If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in
effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.
Brian

+1

Our local council have for as long as I can remember, allowed for three
free bulky waste collections per year. Recently they invited feedback on
a scheme where they would charge £20 per collection, as a means to save
money. I have replied with 'rather than save money, it will cost more
for the council to clear up the additional mess after all the fly tipping'.

If its dumped on private land it cost the council nothing. Its the
landowners responsibility to clear it up and pay to tip it.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

No point if you dont have anything you burn wood in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry formulated on Monday :
You should do that yourself.

I do, but then I have a massive garden to do it in. Some do not have
the space, so have to use their brown bins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2017 09:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
Its getting out of hand everywhere. In my view the reason is simple. If you
charge people for taking in their rubbish to a rubbish dump you in effect
are contributing to the fly tipping problem.

Yes, it's obvious to everyone except Council officials, it seems.

I saw a new twist on fly-tipping near us. A lay-by on a main road has
for some years had been provided with a set of containers for unwanted
clothes, cardboard, bottles, etc that people use fairly regularly.
Last week I saw council workmen erecting a temporary fence around the
whole collection because someone had fly-tipped a whole lot of junk just
in front of them, thus rendering the containers inaccessible.
Presumably some council operative will eventually get around to clearing
the rubbish away. At least they know where it is and it's easy to get to.

--
Clive Page

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:44:36 PM UTC+1, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Probably got there on a recent wind storm day.

One group had youtube footage of an E-type bog tearing down a busy A road in
lashing rain.

The trouble with councils providing free skips for domestic waste is that businesses use them

Marinas on inland waterways offer free rubbish collection for boaters. Locals abuse this facility. I've seen shop owners using them to dispose of their rubbish.

Councils in local beauty spots concealed VCRs in trees and discovered that it was local townies who were ****ting in their own nest, not strangers traavelling a distance.

We used to keep a skip outside our business but regularly got it filled for free so we put a lock and chain on it. No difference. They just broke the lock and chain. Puts a stronger lock and cahin, Then they just dumped the rubbish in front of the skip when they couldn't break the chain.

Toyed with the idea of electrifying the lid but common sense prevailed

Scum bags tour industrial estates searching for free rubbish disposal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/17 10:51, fred wrote:
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:44:36 PM UTC+1, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Probably got there on a recent wind storm day.

One group had youtube footage of an E-type bog tearing down a busy A road in
lashing rain.

The trouble with councils providing free skips for domestic waste is that businesses use them

I say bite the bullet and make free waste disposal part of council tax
and business rates, 100%.

Then it does not matter. Let tradesmen use skips and dumps free at the
point of use.

Either way, we are paying - and it costs a lot more, both in financial
terms and in quality of life impacted to have a system that encourages
flytipping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-27, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/03/17 10:51, fred wrote:
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:44:36 PM UTC+1, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Probably got there on a recent wind storm day.

One group had youtube footage of an E-type bog tearing down a busy A road in
lashing rain.

The trouble with councils providing free skips for domestic waste is that businesses use them

I say bite the bullet and make free waste disposal part of council tax
and business rates, 100%.

Then it does not matter. Let tradesmen use skips and dumps free at the
point of use.

Either way, we are paying - and it costs a lot more, both in financial
terms and in quality of life impacted to have a system that encourages
flytipping.

Completely agree.

And get rid of landfill tax. Maplin sands needs building up fpr the
airport!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 11:01, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/03/17 10:51, fred wrote:
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 7:44:36 PM UTC+1, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

Probably got there on a recent wind storm day.

One group had youtube footage of an E-type bog tearing down a busy A
road in
lashing rain.

The trouble with councils providing free skips for domestic waste is
that businesses use them

I say bite the bullet and make free waste disposal part of council tax
and business rates, 100%.

It is free here.
Then you get queues of people from the surrounding areas dumping stuff
and they don't contribute.

You can also put lots of stuff in the 240l bin that they empty every week.

Then it does not matter. Let tradesmen use skips and dumps free at the
point of use.

Tradesmen should pay. A reputable one will order a skip if he needs one.
If they are caught dumping they should get a much stiffer sentence.

Either way, we are paying - and it costs a lot more, both in financial
terms and in quality of life impacted to have a system that encourages
flytipping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/17 16:58, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/03/2017 11:01, Tim Watts wrote:

I say bite the bullet and make free waste disposal part of council tax
and business rates, 100%.

It is free here.
Then you get queues of people from the surrounding areas dumping stuff
and they don't contribute.

That would not be a problem if it were free everywhere

You can also put lots of stuff in the 240l bin that they empty every week.

Then it does not matter. Let tradesmen use skips and dumps free at the
point of use.

Tradesmen should pay. A reputable one will order a skip if he needs one.
If they are caught dumping they should get a much stiffer sentence.

There are 1001 trademan's jobs that don't justify a skip.

Plumber taking away an old boiler or a loo. Plasterer taking away a few
bags of rubble. So what happens is it's left to the householder...

Either way, we are paying - and it costs a lot more, both in financial
terms and in quality of life impacted to have a system that encourages
flytipping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 27/03/17 10:51, fred wrote:
[...]

Which you will pay for - so you'll have paid twice!

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Getting out of hand round here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r4qt3eitj...ditch.jpg?dl=0

I'll bet there is a hell of a mess inside.

And have you noticed the pollution?

Not from here, no. But I am a couple of hundred miles away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/17 10:51, fred wrote:
[...]

Our council charges by the ton for hardcore. Minimum charge....one ton.
Brain dead council.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 March 2017 09:55:00 UTC+1, Stuart Noble wrote:

Our council charges by the ton for hardcore. Minimum charge....one ton.
Brain dead council.

More wanting to take advantage than brain dead.