Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default age

On 2017-03-22, John Rumm wrote:

[21 lines snipped]

Also the joys of having no receive mail protocols
supported on demon at the time, and needing to run a SMTP server to
accept incoming email ;-)

Arrrgh, 'sendmail'. Hideous, hideous, hideous.

Although I switched to Postfix quite quickly.

That was before Turnpike, then?

I was running all my internet stuff on an Amiga at the time, so no
Turnpike support...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 15:14, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

yes I suppose Usenet does give us a chuckle now and again, usually the
same posters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 22/03/17 08:38, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

(I think my first usenet posts must have been mid 90's)

Me too. Currently 68.

As I remarked the other day, if my planned redecoration of hall,
stairs & landing last as long as the present stuff, I will be 85
by the next time it needs doing. I wonder if I will still be
using ladders by then?

Having moved last year I expect to be DIYing for a while yet. On the
principle that a may be alive in 20 years time, possibly 30, but by then
I am unlikely to care, so anything that needs doing had best be done now
while I still have the inclination and time to enjoy it.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 20:13, DJC wrote:
On 21/03/17 15:54, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/03/2017 15:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/03/17 15:18, newshound wrote:
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

The young are the ones with the cranky attitudes. The reason being that
they're brainwashed.

I'm 68. Is anyone here younger than me?

62½

I'm getting old to read that correctly. Is is 62% alive, or
62% dead ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 21:17, Andrew wrote:
On 21/03/2017 20:13, DJC wrote:
On 21/03/17 15:54, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/03/2017 15:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/03/17 15:18, newshound wrote:
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and
readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

The young are the ones with the cranky attitudes. The reason being that
they're brainwashed.

I'm 68. Is anyone here younger than me?

62½

I'm getting old to read that correctly. Is is 62% alive, or
62% dead ?.

I think that was 62.5 but in old money ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:57:40 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 21/03/2017 17:59, Roger Mills wrote:
On 21/03/2017 16:46, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 21/03/2017 15:54, Bill Wright wrote:

The young are the ones with the cranky attitudes. The reason being
that they're brainwashed.

I'm 68. Is anyone here younger than me?

Almost everyone I shouldn't wonder.

Although there used to be an "older lady" here that used to gripe
about her grumpy/useless husband and his DIY.... She was called
Florence or Ethel, or Mildred or some such other. Last heard of
chopping down a cherry tree and chasing her chickens around the yard
IIRC...

You mean Mary Fisher, aka "oldhenwife" - who always referred to her
other half as "spouse". Haven't seen her lately.

Bill is certainly not the oldest at 68 - I can give him 6 years - and
I'm sure there are lots older than me. As others have said, usenet
probably doesn't appeal to the younger generation.

I have been posting here since I was in my 30's!

I've been on Usenet since I was 31 (in 1982).

1985 for me - we had a dial-up uucp connection to Sun Microsystems
(who weren't much known back then) and some Sun newgroups were
passed to us. I became aware of some unix and C newsgroups, and
we got those on an ad-hoc basis from someone at Sun on tapes in
the post (which was how much of usenet transmission around the
world worked at that time). They were read-only at that point by
virtue of us not ever sending any tapes back.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
newshound explained :
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

Usenet does not have the traffic it once did; my suspicion is that the
younger element congregate to what might be perceived as the slightly
more social environment of the web based bulletin boards, plus of course
the social media.

I didn't discover Usenet until the early 2000's, I had heard of it, but
just couldn't work out how to get to actually make use of it. I had used
email and some home Internet via Free something-or-other for many years.

Now I have a raft of devices all making use of my broadband, but I am
always left wondering if I might be missing out on something, like I
missed out on Usenet for many years. One thing I really ought to do, is
get my head around setting up an email server, rather than the mess I have
at present of each system grabbing mail from my accounts when its turned
on.

Doing your own email server isnt a trivial exercise and doesn't
really get you much instead of just getting your own domain
and using some decent email server.

The main problem with that approach is that some like godaddy
can get a bit gung ho about blacklists at times and you can find
you don't get some mail if you go that route if they decide that
a mailing list you are on by choice is actually a spammer etc.

But getting as good a result with spam filtering as you get with
gmail without any effort at all is a hell of a lot harder to do than
you might think. There's a reason gmail leaves the rest for dead
in that regard. IMO that's because they get vastly more email
moving thru their system than you will ever get and that allows
them to automatically check whats spam very easily just from
the volume of close to identical posts from particular sources etc.

Not clear how they work out what is mailing lists and what is
real spam tho, but they do that very effectively indeed and
hardly ever end up getting that wrong.

Mine that I use in usenet is a real email, not munged, altho
it looks like it is, and I just don't ever get any spam ending
up in the inbox or stuff that should end up in the inbox
ending up in the spam folder either.

And the latest approach of allowing you to put anything
you like after a + sign in the part before the @ allows you
to label things so you can track who has let your email
escape their system or has flogged it to spammers, at least
until the spammers auto strip what follows the + too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Tim Streater expressed precisely :
Sounds like each device you have is configured to delete mail from
server once downloaded. You don't have to do that. You can configure
each client to leave mail on server (i.e. never delete it), and have a
"main" device which controls when mail *is* deleted.

That is what I presently do, but I am conscious of the amount of mail I
receive and limited space on the ISP's mail server.

Makes no sense to use an ISP mail server.

You should be using gmail so you can change your ISP as
easily as changing your shirt and gmail has unlimited space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 11:35:43 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Possibly late 80's, was CiX just it's own conferences or did it
gateway to usenet as well? Failing that early 90's when I became a
founder member of Demon Internet.

Late 80's I was using BBS ...

I was running one.

... and posting messages on fidonet...

GT-Power network 050/039 The Broken Biscuit

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/17 15:18, newshound wrote:
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

http://www.bonkersinstitute.org/meds...razsenile.html

:-p

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2017 12:01, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 21/03/17 15:18, newshound wrote:
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

http://www.bonkersinstitute.org/meds...razsenile.html

:-p

There are some in this ng that could use a dose of that :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-22, John Rumm wrote:

[21 lines snipped]

Also the joys of having no receive mail protocols
supported on demon at the time, and needing to run a SMTP server to
accept incoming email ;-)

Arrrgh, 'sendmail'. Hideous, hideous, hideous.

Although I switched to Postfix quite quickly.

That was before Turnpike, then?

I was running all my internet stuff on an Amiga at the time, so no
Turnpike support...

And I think Roger missed my earlier comment about a SPARCstation 1+.

Good point. I must have assumed that you joined the era of cheap PCs
sooner than you did.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
On 21/03/2017 20:26, Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as clueless
as usual.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical
activity here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as clueless
as usual.

slrn is just as clueless, then.

Pan is obviously clueless, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical
activity here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as
clueless as usual.

slrn is just as clueless, then.

Pan is obviously clueless, too.

Can't these things decode a quoted-printable encoded word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

Usually, yes. Wonder if in some way this is an edge case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical
activity here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as
clueless as usual.

slrn is just as clueless, then.

Pan is obviously clueless, too.

Can't these things decode a quoted-printable encoded word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

I don't believe his From: header is syntactically correct; it seems to be
missing a '(' at the start of the CFWS (he has a ')' at the end, as the
=29, and I'm not sure a semicolon belongs there at all.

The effect for Pan is that it loses everything from the semicolon to the
end of the line, and can't then make sense of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical
activity here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as
clueless as usual.

slrn is just as clueless, then.

Pan is obviously clueless, too.

Can't these things decode a quoted-printable encoded word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

Usually, yes. Wonder if in some way this is an edge case.

C2AC is the NOT-SIGN, and 29 is the RIGHT PARENTHESIS. Everything else
is itself apart from the underscores which convert to spaces. Can't see
anything edgy about that.

The C2AC is a comment and ought to be started with a '('. Not sure about
the semicolon either; RFC 5322 doesn't seem to permit it in that context.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 23/03/2017 17:25, Phil L wrote:

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as clueless
as usual.

Turnpike displays it as intended :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical
activity here my 15 year old zombified son.

And yet your name in the newsgroup still appears as:
;=c2=ac=29?=

Not here it doesn't... I think that's outlook express being as
clueless as usual.

slrn is just as clueless, then.

Pan is obviously clueless, too.

Can't these things decode a quoted-printable encoded word?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME#Encoded-Word

I don't believe his From: header is syntactically correct; it seems to
be missing a '(' at the start of the CFWS (he has a ')' at the end, as
the =29, and I'm not sure a semicolon belongs there at all.

Well, his From: header is of the form:

From: Joe Soap

rather than:

From: (Joe Soap) or From: "Joe Soap"
or From: "Joe Soap"

It's of the form:

From: ;¬)

All forms are equally valid, AFAIK.

Not sure that is.

Here, Thoth correctly decodes the string outside the to give:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk

where the ;¬) is just a smiley.

ITYM 'inside', but the bit at the end isn't compliant.

It's the placement of the text outside the - **after** the address -
that's the thing.

From: Joe Soap

rather than:

From: (Joe Soap) or From: "Joe Soap"
or From: "Joe Soap"

It's of the form:

From: ;¬)

All forms are equally valid, AFAIK.

Not sure that is.

Here, Thoth correctly decodes the string outside the to give:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk

where the ;¬) is just a smiley.

ITYM 'inside', but the bit at the end isn't compliant.

It's the placement of the text outside the - **after** the address -
that's the thing.

IIRC the order of the elements doesn't matter. What counts is that the
machine readable bit is in or the human readable bit is in " ", (or
both).

There's an RFC if you like.

What isn't guaranteed is the use of UTF8 or indeed anything but pure
ASCII *outside* the body of the message.

That is the charset is specified in part of the header, and there is no
guarantee it will be applied to other than the body.

From: Joe Soap

rather than:

From: (Joe Soap) or From: "Joe Soap"
or From: "Joe Soap"

It's of the form:

From: ;¬)

All forms are equally valid, AFAIK.

Not sure that is.

Here, Thoth correctly decodes the string outside the to give:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk

where the ;¬) is just a smiley.

ITYM 'inside', but the bit at the end isn't compliant.

It's the placement of the text outside the - **after** the address -
that's the thing.

IIRC the order of the elements doesn't matter. What counts is that the
machine readable bit is in or the human readable bit is in " ", (or
both).

There's an RFC if you like.

I know.

What isn't guaranteed is the use of UTF8 or indeed anything but pure
ASCII *outside* the body of the message.

Not quite. Some header components are permitted to used 'quuoted-
string' (the ?= syntax); for example Subject:

Interestingly, the actual email address is allowed to be a quoted-string
(but only if there are special characters in it), BUT ONLY in the part to
the left of '@'. So the gymratz address is non-compliant as it doesn';t
stop quoting until after the domain part.

That is the charset is specified in part of the header, and there is no
guarantee it will be applied to other than the body.

Well, it's allowed. The charset for quoted strings is actually specified
as part of the quoting syntax, so it can apply in that part of the header.

Executive summary: the gymratz address is non-compliant because it:
1) uses quoting on a part of the email address (local part, to the left
of the '@') that doesn't need quoting (RFC 5322)
2) uses quoting on a part of the email address where it isn't permitted
at all (domain part, to the right of the '@') (RFC 5322)
3) [arguably] has unbalanced parentheses in a comment part

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Format of From: header (was age)

Here is the entire From: line as Thoth presents it to me:

From: Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

However, the raw header is:

From: ;=c2=ac=29?=

I suspect the unbalanced parenthese are non-compliant.

(which may seem to be two lines but is in fact one). Thus, the email
address portion enclosed in is:

pment

and the comment or name portion is:

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

So, no, I mean 'outside the ', not 'inside'. That his email addy is
junk is not a problem as he uses a Reply-To: header (with another junk
email address).

Yes - I was wrong in the earlier response to TNP.

I was looking at RFC2822 last night but was too tired to take much of it
in.

RFC 5322 these days.

Are we talking about a mail item or a news item? Does Usenet follow the
same RFCs as for email? (I don't know, myself).

RFC 5322 applies to both, where the headers are relevant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:14:16 PM UTC, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

I'm 39.

Bloody hell. Go to your room, boy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 10:26, jim wrote:
Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

newshound explained :
[...]

Shurely only the first to poll would get the email then? Which
isn't what's happening...

You can set pop3 devices to leave a copy of mail of the server for a
period of days - that way as long as ll the devices poll the account at
least once in time, and all have similar leave settings configured, they
should play nice for received email. (Does not help with sent mail though).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Streater Wrote in message:
In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

newshound explained :
[...]

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound explained :
[...]

In what way is it a mess? Do you mean that whichever device is turned on
first downloads your emails and deletes them from the server?

"Delete from server" is a user configurable setting in your email programs
if you're using POP access.

Using IMAP for email saves a lot of aggro if you're using multiple devices.

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mm. I must have been around 50 when I ended up here, but my usenet
presence in other nyms predates the UK internet.

I think my first post was 1985 or thereabouts

Golly. 32 years of Usenet...

I can remember when VAX/VMS brought out a new feature
that allowed a record to be locked to stop multiple
updaters. V1.6 I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 15:58:29 +0100, Andrew wrote:

Mm. I must have been around 50 when I ended up here, but my usenet
presence in other nyms predates the UK internet.

I think my first post was 1985 or thereabouts

Golly. 32 years of Usenet...

I can remember when VAX/VMS brought out a new feature that allowed a
record to be locked to stop multiple updaters. V1.6 I think.

I can remember when the PDP-8 got a disk operating system.

So there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 19:31:53 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:
On 24/03/2017 15:46, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 3:14:16 PM UTC, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers
on this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

I'm 39.

So is Homer Simpson!

Now if you asked me how old I was I would say 46.

However if you asked my Mother how old I was I am sure she would say 47
in October or some other ******** - It's something Mothers never stop
doing.

But you are in your 47th year...

Plus, added to that fact, it's "A Habit Born Out Of Hope", that mothers
in general cultivate[1], that her child (yourself in this instance) will
survive to enjoy the forthcoming birthday celebrations at the end of said
year. It's a little bit unfair to be so dismissive of your mother's pious
hope for your survival to your next birthday as to be a matter of "Just
some other ********".

[1] Mothers carry a heavy burden of responsibility in the rearing of
their offspring to a stage of independent adulthood. A premature, infant
or juvenile death, would be regarded by most mothers faced with such
tragedy as some sort of failing on their part no matter how little they
could have done to prevent such a tragedy in the first place. It's only
human nature to feel some sense of guilt in such circumstances, even in
cases entirely beyond the limits of the best of parental protection.

Parents, mothers particularly, will be protective of their infant
offspring so it should come as no surprise that a mother will develop a
mindset that regards age as a half filled glass rather than as a half
emptied one, hence the tendency to expressions such as "He'll be 47 this
October" when it comes to the question of the age of any of their
offspring. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:
On 24/03/2017 15:46, wrote:
[...]

Its a trait that people seem to apply to themselves when over a "certain
age" (which is slightly woolly in its definition but is typically 75+).
Ask a question "how old are you?" and you will be told how old they will
be next birthday.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:
On 24/03/2017 15:46, wrote:
[...]

Our attitude to forthcoming birthdays keeps changing as we get older.
Initially, it's one of impatience to reach the early milestones of
maturity such as 5, 13, 18 and 20 or 21. Thereafter, we're old enough to
see the next milestones, 30th and successive decadal birthdays more as
reminders of our own mortality and impending demise.

Eventually, once we've come to accept the inevitability of our
mortality, typically from age 50 onwards to, as you posited, 75+, our
next birthday becomes more and more a matter of 'defiance', hence the
response to that question tending to be couched once again in terms of
our age at next birthday.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:

[...]

A newborn baby isn't said to be one year old on his next birthday.
Babies' ages are quoted in days, weeks or months, even when they are
nearly two.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:

[...]

Only by mothers:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2017 19:11, ARW wrote:
On 24/03/2017 15:46, wrote:
[...]

It's a wonder that I have not given my Mother a heart attack considering
some of the things I have done.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 29/03/17 18:36, Johnny B Good wrote:

Its a trait that people seem to apply to themselves when over a "certain
age" (which is slightly woolly in its definition but is typically 75+).
Ask a question "how old are you?" and you will be told how old they will
be next birthday.

Our attitude to forthcoming birthdays keeps changing as we get older.
Initially, it's one of impatience to reach the early milestones of
maturity such as 5, 13, 18 and 20 or 21. Thereafter, we're old enough to
see the next milestones, 30th and successive decadal birthdays more as
reminders of our own mortality and impending demise.

Yes, though I would say that from 20s to 50ish it more a case of
realising "we have left undone those things we ought to have done".