Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default age

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:57:40 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 21/03/2017 17:59, Roger Mills wrote:
On 21/03/2017 16:46, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 21/03/2017 15:54, Bill Wright wrote:

The young are the ones with the cranky attitudes. The reason being
that they're brainwashed.

I'm 68. Is anyone here younger than me?

Almost everyone I shouldn't wonder.

Although there used to be an "older lady" here that used to gripe
about her grumpy/useless husband and his DIY.... She was called
Florence or Ethel, or Mildred or some such other. Last heard of
chopping down a cherry tree and chasing her chickens around the yard
IIRC...

You mean Mary Fisher, aka "oldhenwife" - who always referred to her
other half as "spouse". Haven't seen her lately.

Bill is certainly not the oldest at 68 - I can give him 6 years - and
I'm sure there are lots older than me. As others have said, usenet
probably doesn't appeal to the younger generation.

I have been posting here since I was in my 30's!

I've been on Usenet since I was 31 (in 1982).

Usenet arrived here because my children wanted to read and post about
Eddie Izzard!

I'm in the low '70's but can claim to have met 3 uk.d-i-y posters:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

(I think my first usenet posts must have been mid 90's)

Me too. Currently 68.

As I remarked the other day, if my planned redecoration of hall,
stairs & landing last as long as the present stuff, I will be 85
by the next time it needs doing. I wonder if I will still be
using ladders by then?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hardly a regular poster, but I've been a regular reader for many years. I'm currently 47.

Been using usenet since the early 1990s (the FreeServe days). Via Google Groups these days because it remembers what I've read across the various half-dozen or so computers / tablets I regularly use at work / home.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 17:13, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 4:55:09 PM UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk submitted this idea :
Although there used to be an "older lady" here that used to gripe about
her grumpy/useless husband and his DIY.... She was called Florence or
Ethel, or Mildred or some such other. Last heard of chopping down a
cherry tree and chasing her chickens around the yard IIRC...

..and domiciled in north Leeds :-)

Mary Fisher?

Yes... That's who I was thinking of.
Apologies to Mary for getting her name wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21-Mar-17 8:13 PM, R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

alt.paedophilia is that way -

:-)

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 20:26, Phil L wrote:
R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

You have one of those too? Sits in front of multiple screens, in the
dark, for 24 hours a day, if allowed. 'I'm revising!' Lying little
****ehound.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:38:32 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

As I remarked the other day, if my planned redecoration of hall,
stairs & landing last as long as the present stuff, I will be 85
by the next time it needs doing. I wonder if I will still be
using ladders by then?

Chris

By then you may be able to achieve the same result just by taking your
glasses off.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 08:29:20 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

I've met two Tims, and probably one or two others. And some used to be
students of mine...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 15:42, Jeff Layman wrote:

AFAIAA the only decent app for android which allows you to post
as well as read is Piaohong. And that is not quite free

Groundhog works OK, and is free.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:23:42 +0000, Graeme wrote:

my 15 year old zombified son.

Only 'cause you let him...

You have one of those too? Sits in front of multiple screens, in the
dark, for 24 hours a day, if allowed. 'I'm revising!' Lying little
****ehound.

The Lad used to sit in front of a screen most waking hours when not
in lessons. Just started his A levels away from home, took his
computer the first term, brought it home at Christmas, didn't take it
back!! Too much of a distraction. He does have smart phone and laptop
but he's not set up mail on either and keeps the laptop as a pure
school work machine.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:45:32 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I have been posting here since I was in my 30's!

I've been on Usenet since I was 31 (in 1982).

I was still at school ;-)

Been working 4 years but I didn't do the uni bit, just A levels.

(I think my first usenet posts must have been mid 90's)

Possibly late 80's, was CiX just it's own conferences or did it
gateway to usenet as well? Failing that early 90's when I became a
founder member of Demon Internet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:58:32 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

(*) I once compared how much formating and "eye candy" came down

with
10 1 kB of messages on a fairly plain web forum. Well over 100
kB...

Much of the bulk is not only advertising, and analyic data for the

forum owner, but huge complex tracking operations by google and

others
to link up your various online activities and log them.

Running "NoScript" can reduce that quite a bit.

Reduces the tracking but you still have to download it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 20:13, R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

There was a disc jockey who said, "I feel like a 16 year old boy: but
where would I find one this time of day?"

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 09:23, Graeme wrote:

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

You have one of those too? Sits in front of multiple screens, in the
dark, for 24 hours a day, if allowed. 'I'm revising!' Lying little
****ehound.

I do indeed - you've described his actions exactly.

All his "devices" IP addresses are disconnected from internet at 21:30
Sunday to Thursday after which he practices his piano. His bedroom has
blackout curtains and he's got skype going on one device, snapchat on
another, X-Box in the other ear whilst listening to his spotify
playlists... but of course he's doing his homework! If nothing else at
least he's developing the skill of multi-tasking..

Can't fault his aptitude for getting free stuff from Amazon in exchange
for "reviews" and tracking down Amazon incorrectly priced items...
Told him to set up a website called ScAmazon where pricing errors are
posted. Providing he's only screwing Amazon and not Amazon re-sellers
who are already being screwed by Amazon I don't have any issues with it.

Apparently they grow out of it, no doubt when driving, chicks and
alcohol become more interesting (not all at the same time hopefully)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes

Failing that early 90's when I became a
founder member of Demon Internet.

Blimey. I was fairly early to Demon, but not that early. I did manage
to get selected for early ADSL trials with Demon, and enjoyed a year of
ADSL at tenner a month prices. Malcolm Muir was my hero :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes

All his "devices" IP addresses are disconnected from internet at 21:30
Sunday to Thursday after which he practices his piano. His bedroom has
blackout curtains and he's got skype going on one device, snapchat on
another, X-Box in the other ear whilst listening to his spotify
playlists... but of course he's doing his homework! If nothing else at
least he's developing the skill of multi-tasking..

I just read that to my wife, who laughed knowingly ...
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 10:45, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 23:45:32 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I have been posting here since I was in my 30's!

I've been on Usenet since I was 31 (in 1982).

I was still at school ;-)

Been working 4 years but I didn't do the uni bit, just A levels.

(I think my first usenet posts must have been mid 90's)

Possibly late 80's, was CiX just it's own conferences or did it
gateway to usenet as well? Failing that early 90's when I became a
founder member of Demon Internet.

Late 80's I was using BBS and posting messages on fidonet... I did not
join demon until a couple of years after their formation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 10:46, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:58:32 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

(*) I once compared how much formating and "eye candy" came down

with
10 1 kB of messages on a fairly plain web forum. Well over 100
kB...

Much of the bulk is not only advertising, and analyic data for the

forum owner, but huge complex tracking operations by google and

others
to link up your various online activities and log them.

Running "NoScript" can reduce that quite a bit.

Reduces the tracking but you still have to download it.

I get the impression it blocks some of the tracking scripts before
download as well - so reduces the volume of stuff transferred.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-22, Graeme wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes

Failing that early 90's when I became a
founder member of Demon Internet.

Blimey. I was fairly early to Demon, but not that early. I did manage
to get selected for early ADSL trials with Demon, and enjoyed a year of
ADSL at tenner a month prices. Malcolm Muir was my hero :-)

I can't recall when I got my Demon account. I was certainly running KA9Q
on MS-DOS on dialup. Shortly replaced by a SPARCstation 1+. I even wrote
the FAQ on connecting it to Demon with dial-on-demand. Perhaps the "good
old days" weren't that good after all.

Now that is a blast from the past... I remember setting up an Amiga with
a port of KA9Q when we first got a demon account. ISTR it was a bit
awkward to use, and I ditched it as soon as I got a standalone TCP/IP
stack setup and running (in the days where you had to pay real money to
buy such things!) Also the joys of having no receive mail protocols
supported on demon at the time, and needing to run a SMTP server to
accept incoming email ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 15:54, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/03/2017 15:42, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/03/17 15:18, newshound wrote:
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

The young are the ones with the cranky attitudes. The reason being that
they're brainwashed.

I'm 68. Is anyone here younger than me?

Bill

quite a few older I believe Bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 16:52, PeterC wrote:
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 15:14:04 +0000, critcher wrote:

Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

I'm 70 on Article 50 day - I'd rather be 50 on Article 70 day!

But it seems that your mind never grows old like your body does.
When you attempt what was easy 10 years ago, the inability of your body
to carry out the tasks asked of it reminds you of your real age.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
. I even wrote
the FAQ on connecting it to Demon with dial-on-demand. Perhaps the "good
old days" weren't that good after all.

Which rather brings the discussion full circle, at least in terms of
Usenet, and the death thereof. Yes, we all remember dial up, typing
replies, briefly connecting, uploading one's own replies, downloading
everyone else's, reading then repeat all evening. Online forums and
social media as youngsters know them now would just not work under those
circumstances. Usenet and mailing lists were perfect for the
circumstances.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 20:13:02 UTC, R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

You're being groomed ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 10:35:55 AM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 09:23:42 +0000, Graeme wrote:

my 15 year old zombified son.

Only 'cause you let him...

You have one of those too? Sits in front of multiple screens, in the
dark, for 24 hours a day, if allowed. 'I'm revising!' Lying little
****ehound.

The Lad used to sit in front of a screen most waking hours when not
in lessons. Just started his A levels away from home, took his
computer the first term, brought it home at Christmas, didn't take it
back!! Too much of a distraction. He does have smart phone and laptop
but he's not set up mail on either and keeps the laptop as a pure
school work machine.

--
Cheers
Dave.

A sign of the times: My 11 year old daughter has been given an iPad by her secondary school (the local comp) with all her intake. In fact all the pupils at the school have them (supplied by the school). The school uses it for sending out homework, lesson materials and general info. Also when she has done her homework she just photographs it and sends it in on the iPad. It also provides a 'social media' environment that is well-policed. Although itcan access the internet it does so via a closely controlled gateway.

It seems to work pretty well.

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 8:38:35 AM UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

(I think my first usenet posts must have been mid 90's)

Me too. Currently 68.

As I remarked the other day, if my planned redecoration of hall,
stairs & landing last as long as the present stuff, I will be 85
by the next time it needs doing. I wonder if I will still be
using ladders by then?

Was it Sophia Lauren who, at the age of 75, was asked by an interviewer "at what age do women lose interest in sex". She replied "I don't know, I'll ask my mother".

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 12:35:38 PM UTC, Graeme wrote:
In message , Huge
writes
. I even wrote
the FAQ on connecting it to Demon with dial-on-demand. Perhaps the "good
old days" weren't that good after all.

Which rather brings the discussion full circle, at least in terms of
Usenet, and the death thereof. Yes, we all remember dial up, typing
replies, briefly connecting, uploading one's own replies, downloading
everyone else's, reading then repeat all evening. Online forums and
social media as youngsters know them now would just not work under those
circumstances. Usenet and mailing lists were perfect for the
circumstances.

and do people remember the days when you had to download 'artistic photographs' in lots of pieces and then cobble them together? I don't remember the name of the group but its subtitle was "gigabytes of copyright violations".

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-22, John Rumm wrote:

[21 lines snipped]

Also the joys of having no receive mail protocols
supported on demon at the time, and needing to run a SMTP server to
accept incoming email ;-)

Arrrgh, 'sendmail'. Hideous, hideous, hideous.

Although I switched to Postfix quite quickly.

That was before Turnpike, then?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-22, Graeme wrote:
In message , Huge
writes
. I even wrote
the FAQ on connecting it to Demon with dial-on-demand. Perhaps the "good
old days" weren't that good after all.

Which rather brings the discussion full circle, at least in terms of
Usenet, and the death thereof. Yes, we all remember dial up, typing
replies, briefly connecting, uploading one's own replies, downloading
everyone else's, reading then repeat all evening. Online forums and
social media as youngsters know them now would just not work under those
circumstances. Usenet and mailing lists were perfect for the
circumstances.

Facebook is Usenet with pictures.

But the 'threading' is inadequate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-22, Graeme wrote:
In message , Huge
writes
. I even wrote
the FAQ on connecting it to Demon with dial-on-demand. Perhaps the
"good
old days" weren't that good after all.

Which rather brings the discussion full circle, at least in terms of
Usenet, and the death thereof. Yes, we all remember dial up, typing
replies, briefly connecting, uploading one's own replies, downloading
everyone else's, reading then repeat all evening. Online forums and
social media as youngsters know them now would just not work under those
circumstances. Usenet and mailing lists were perfect for the
circumstances.

Facebook is Usenet with pictures.

But the 'threading' is inadequate.

And the interface is incredibly ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-03-22, Graeme wrote:
In message , Huge
writes
. I even wrote the FAQ on connecting it to Demon with dial-on-demand.
Perhaps the "good old days" weren't that good after all.

Which rather brings the discussion full circle, at least in terms of
Usenet, and the death thereof. Yes, we all remember dial up, typing
replies, briefly connecting, uploading one's own replies, downloading
everyone else's, reading then repeat all evening. Online forums and
social media as youngsters know them now would just not work under
those circumstances. Usenet and mailing lists were perfect for the
circumstances.

Facebook is Usenet with pictures.

Not really. You select the people and subjects you are interested in.
No Facebook group I subscribe to would put up with the amount of OT stuff
on here. Or any forum, come to that.

--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound explained :
On 3/21/2017 3:14 PM, critcher wrote:
Would I be correct in assuming that most of the posters and readers on
this ng are of a mature age. i.e. 55 - 80 yrs.
It is difficult to guess age from a posting, but from the info given
out, there seems to be an abundance of wisdom here.

And a fair number of cranky attitudes too.

Usenet does not have the traffic it once did; my suspicion is that the
younger element congregate to what might be perceived as the slightly more
social environment of the web based bulletin boards, plus of course the
social media.

I didn't discover Usenet until the early 2000's, I had heard of it, but
just couldn't work out how to get to actually make use of it. I had
used email and some home Internet via Free something-or-other for many
years.

Now I have a raft of devices all making use of my broadband, but I am
always left wondering if I might be missing out on something, like I
missed out on Usenet for many years. One thing I really ought to do, is
get my head around setting up an email server, rather than the mess I
have at present of each system grabbing mail from my accounts when its
turned on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2017 15:43, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Now I have a raft of devices all making use of my broadband, but I am
always left wondering if I might be missing out on something, like I
missed out on Usenet for many years. One thing I really ought to do, is
get my head around setting up an email server, rather than the mess I
have at present of each system grabbing mail from my accounts when its
turned on.

You don't need a server just set the clients to use IMAP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater expressed precisely :
Sounds like each device you have is configured to delete mail from
server once downloaded. You don't have to do that. You can configure
each client to leave mail on server (i.e. never delete it), and have a
"main" device which controls when mail *is* deleted.

That is what I presently do, but I am conscious of the amount of mail I
receive and limited space on the ISP's mail server.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote
in message news
R D S wrote:
On 21/03/17 20:03, Chris Bartram wrote:
Am I relatively young here, then, at 47?

43 here. I feel like a child.

43? - have you just got off your skateboard?

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

Bet he doesn’t agree.

One kid was so disgusted at how badly his mother
did at shootemup computer games that he proclaimed
that he could do a lot better than she could with his eyes
closed and then proceeded to prove that he could too }-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message ,
writes

50 and a half here and still able to
out-skateboard/trampoline/dive/run/cycle/insert any physical activity
here my 15 year old zombified son.

You have one of those too? Sits in front of multiple screens, in the
dark, for 24 hours a day, if allowed. 'I'm revising!' Lying little
****ehound.

He'll be picking your nursing home...