Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default age

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 20:46:59 +0100, DJC wrote:

On 29/03/17 18:36, Johnny B Good wrote:

Its a trait that people seem to apply to themselves when over a
"certain age" (which is slightly woolly in its definition but is
typically 75+). Ask a question "how old are you?" and you will be told
how old they will be next birthday.

Our attitude to forthcoming birthdays keeps changing as we get older.
Initially, it's one of impatience to reach the early milestones of
maturity such as 5, 13, 18 and 20 or 21. Thereafter, we're old enough
to see the next milestones, 30th and successive decadal birthdays more
as reminders of our own mortality and impending demise.

Yes, though I would say that from 20s to 50ish it more a case of
realising "we have left undone those things we ought to have done".

Yeah, I didn't think I was alone in this. The difference now that I'm in
my sixties, is that I just don't worry about it any more. :-) [1]

[1] I wasn't sure what sort of 'Smiley' was appropriate since I don't
know whether it's because I just don't care any more or have become
resigned to my ultimate fate.

I think the phrase, "Eat healthy food and keep fit - die anyway!" neatly
sums up all of our life's ambitions. In the end, it doesn't really matter
so you might as well make yourself comfortable with what you've been
dealt with and enjoy the rest of the ride in a more relaxed state of mind.

--
Johnny B Good