Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default white

how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Mine didn’t. I chose to have a sort of pale yellow/orange
in the very early 70s and still have it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote in
o.uk:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Mike

Cheap. Variations causes costs to rise due to stocking and production
changes and waste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Taken longer than I expected for colour to come back into fashion.

--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There were some really naff colours around. When we were buying our present bungalow we viewed one with a what was termed a "chocolate" bathroom suite - sh*t brown was the term I used.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 6:48:33 PM UTC+11, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Could be, so that using bleach or vinegar will bring back the shine and, remove the dullness due to rust/clay sediments over time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/17 10:12, Huge wrote:

One modern trend I dislike is pushbutton flushes. Seems a pointless solution
to a problem that didn't exist. Oh, and water-saving cisterns that you have
to flush 3 times to make the poo go away.

That's so it can be automated in the near future and connected to the
Internet of Things. So when you are on your way to work and suddenly
remember you forgot to flush the loo, you can use your smartphone to do
it. Simples!

Mind you, if somebody else is sitting there at the time, it could be
very interesting...

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Wonder if it was the sanitary makers or BL who chose the colours in the
'70s? So many were shared. Brown really suited an Allegro. ;-)

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

The same reason as all tiles went beige?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they didn't
charge extra for

so when it because fashionable they thought "we've got a good reason to
charge extra for it"

now some other colour is free

I do so hate the idea of paying for a different colour. It can't really
cost any extra at the factory, can it?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

The same reason as all tiles went beige?

they did!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 11:18, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 11:32:36 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they didn't
charge extra for

I thought it was because white went with everything simialar in kitchens
and virtually colours went well with white for accessorties like shower curtains etc...

so when it because fashionable they thought "we've got a good reason to
charge extra for it"

now some other colour is free

my bathroom was bits were all yellow.

I do so hate the idea of paying for a different colour. It can't really
cost any extra at the factory, can it?

I think it can suppy and demand being the simplest, in the past such colours as black and purple were difficult to make and didn't last very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

Looked at a canary yellow Audi Q2 yesterday. The paint was a £600
option,
though. And IME (of a Caterham R300 nosecone), it attracts insects.

When I bought the current car, I didn't care about the colour. So I got
the default blue (no additional cost).

SWMBO bought a car (same make) around the same time. The default colour
was bright yellow. She decided on white. (local estate agents bought the
yellow one as it matched their corporate colours).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

Nothing like so much as black. In general on a car dark colours look
grubbier more quickly.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

It rather obviously costs less to paint several cars at once in the same
colour.

But many have a much wider choice if you're willing to pay extra.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they didn't
charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

Yes. It's why the London Metropolitan Police changed their new cars from
white to silver. To get a better price on the used market. So silver
became the new white.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

I've never understood the desire to buy a hearse aka vback!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they didn't
charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

White is much cheaper than colours (other than magnolia which is no
colour at all really) in matt emulsion!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

That's because it doesn't show road dirt easily and keeps really cool
on hot sunny days. It's her preferred colour.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they
didn't charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

It is all down to scheduling. If you want a colour and a particular spec
then you will have to wait for it.Dealers will forward order what they
think will sell. If they haven't got one on order, then it becomes a
special order and you will have to wait and pay list price probably as you
have put two fingers up at their advanced ordering!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they didn't
charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

White is much cheaper than colours (other than magnolia which is no
colour at all really) in matt emulsion!

Mike

My view on decorating walls is there is no other colour than magnolia!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

White is much cheaper than colours (other than magnolia which is no
colour at all really) in matt emulsion!

Am I right that, in the considerable time since I last got the
paintbrushes out for hall, stairs & landing, paints have gone
"eco" but the downside is that whites yellow more readily?

I will be needing gloss for the woodwork and matt emulsion for
the walls. Any recommendations?

If it last as long as the present stuff, I will be 85 by the next
time it needs doing. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/17 14:27, Huge wrote:

Oh, the only reason I care what colour our cars are is for the effect
on the resale value. With the possible exception of white; having had
a white car, I'm not buying another.

We had a white car once. Seems to attract the bird to crap on it like no
other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 14:14:24 UTC, Capitol wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

I've never understood the desire to buy a hearse aka vback!

You've never been a goth or emo then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they
didn't charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

It is all down to scheduling. If you want a colour and a particular spec
then you will have to wait for it.Dealers will forward order what they
think will sell. If they haven't got one on order, then it becomes a
special order and you will have to wait and pay list price probably as you
have put two fingers up at their advanced ordering!

That wasn't my experience

take what they had on the forecourt and pay list price.

wait for one to be manufactured and the dealer would do a deal

YMMV (obviously did)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Renault have nice colours at the moment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

It's just fashion; the desire to be different from your parents.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

Looked at a canary yellow Audi Q2 yesterday.

I got a canary yellow Hyundai Getz 10 years ago now.
Mainly to make it easy to find in carparks and hopefully
easier for others to see when I am driving around.

The paint was a £600 option, though.

Mine didnt cost any more, just had to wait a week or so
for it to be delivered. I could have had a pale blue from
the dealer's stock immediately.

And IME (of a Caterham R300 nosecone), it attracts insects.

Mine doesnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they
didn't charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

White is much cheaper than colours (other than magnolia which is no
colour at all really) in matt emulsion!

Economy of scale. A shed will have lots more white in stock than any
colour.

If you look at the prices for proper car paint, the plain colours are all
the same (near enough) Once you go to fancy metallics, can be anything.

--
*No sentence fragments *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

Nothing like so much as black.

After our car got biffed into last summer, they gave us a white rental
for a while. That seemed to get grubby quickly. Then we got a black
second hand car which seemed to get immediately grubby, but didn't
really get any worse. Odd.

I have one plain black car, one metallic silver. The silver one simply
doesn't show the dirt anything like the black one. And both brush up well.
;-)

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

It rather obviously costs less to paint several cars at once in the same
colour.

But many have a much wider choice if you're willing to pay extra.

Even for the Toyota metallic blue we had to pay extra, but it seemed
that only the white was without extra charge.

Metallic is a different proposition. The paint itself is more expensive
and more difficult to apply (although maybe not in the factory)

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they
didn't charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

It is all down to scheduling. If you want a colour and a particular spec
then you will have to wait for it.Dealers will forward order what they
think will sell. If they haven't got one on order, then it becomes a
special order and you will have to wait and pay list price probably as
you have put two fingers up at their advanced ordering!

I can quite see a dealer giving you extra discount on something in stock
he wants to shift. But that's not the same as not having a choice of
colours.

I've never bought a new car - but if I did, I'd want my first choice of
colour of both paint and trim, etc.
If you want to save money by taking anything new on offer, I'd prefer used
to my choice.

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got a canary yellow Hyundai Getz 10 years ago now.
Mainly to make it easy to find in carparks and hopefully
easier for others to see when I am driving around.

The paint was a £600 option, though.

which is what it is now worth ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

*wash basins and toilets would be glazed and fired at about 1200°C,
steel baths were enamelled and fired at say 900°C, while GRP baths
were cold-formed, all requiring different pigment compositions.

Reminds me of the furnace we wandered up to in the Azores (no Elfin
Safety there), firing up china at 1200C. We saw them prepping stuff for
firing - pink pigment that became blue afterwards.

reminds me of the old shanks factory in Barrhead where there were thousands
of white balls about 9 inch diameter lying about I assumed they were test
items for the furnace...anybody know different ? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

wrote:

*wash basins and toilets would be glazed and fired at about 1200°C,
steel baths were enamelled and fired at say 900°C, while GRP baths
were cold-formed, all requiring different pigment compositions.

Reminds me of the furnace we wandered up to in the Azores (no Elfin
Safety there), firing up china at 1200C. We saw them prepping stuff for
firing - pink pigment that became blue afterwards.

reminds me of the old shanks factory in Barrhead where there were
thousands
of white balls about 9 inch diameter lying about I assumed they were test
items for the furnace...anybody know different ? ....

I've visited many sanitaryware factories in my day, UK and abroad,
although I don't think ever actually Shanks at Barrhead*. I've never
seen what you've described. But many years ago, say pre-war and 1950's
and 1960's, such factories would wet-grind some of their raw
materials, the so-called non-plastics, quartz and feldspar or
nepheline-syenite being the most common. The balls you saw were
probably grinding balls, usually alumina, but I'm surprised they were
that large; I'd have said 3 - 4" was more common. I can't think what
else they might have been. In later years, all the mfrs would buy
their raw materials from central millers, who did all the grinding for
them.

*I do remember the technical manager from Shanks, Barrhead, giving a
paper at a ceramic industries conference, entitled 'The wind of change
in sanitaryware', which cause some amusement.

yes they may have been smaller as you say...it was 1974 when I worked for
Leggat doing some alterations.........wind...tee hee...going to the shunky
as they say up here .....

http://i3.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming...615/shank2.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/medium/49796393.jpg

there is one!

http://mapio.net/pic/p-49796393/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they
didn't charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

It is all down to scheduling. If you want a colour and a particular spec
then you will have to wait for it.Dealers will forward order what they
think will sell. If they haven't got one on order, then it becomes a
special order and you will have to wait and pay list price probably as
you
have put two fingers up at their advanced ordering!

That wasn't my experience

take what they had on the forecourt and pay list price.

wait for one to be manufactured and the dealer would do a deal

YMMV (obviously did)

Mine did too. I did it the other way, found the cheapest price
anywhere in the state, told the local dealer principal what that
price was, asked if he could match that. He claimed that he had
to pay more than they did to get it delivered to a town that isnt
the state capital, so agreed to pay that small extra.

He offered me a pale blue one that he had on the lot, I decided
that I would rather have a bright yellow one to make it easier to
find in big car parks etc and to make it easier for fools to see
when I was driving around in it. Made no difference to the price,
I just had to wait a week or so for it to be delivered.