Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default white

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

I got a canary yellow Hyundai Getz 10 years ago now.
Mainly to make it easy to find in carparks and hopefully
easier for others to see when I am driving around.

The paint was a £600 option, though.

which is what it is now worth ....

I didn’t pay anything extra for the color, and its worth more than that now
too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 14:20:08 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
white became fashionable because it was the only colour that they
didn't charge extra for

I've not known any car in recent times with no choice of colours. And
white paint is no cheaper than most plain colours.

It is all down to scheduling. If you want a colour and a particular spec
then you will have to wait for it.Dealers will forward order what they
think will sell. If they haven't got one on order, then it becomes a
special order and you will have to wait and pay list price probably as
you have put two fingers up at their advanced ordering!

I did well out of my last order. Ordered a very specific configuration in
July. Got a very good trade-in (checked it independently) and discount.

It was delivered in December (three months delayed) and they kept to the
original trade-in. And I had more equity in the old car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 March 2017 14:15:20 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
White is much cheaper than colours (other than magnolia which is no
colour at all really) in matt emulsion!

Probably because it's used so much by housebuilders.

I'm not sure if Screwfix actually sell emulsion that isn't white or mag.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

It's just fashion; the desire to be different from your parents.

When I were a kid it was all white. Except the very posh hand painted
stuff. Coloured suites had a quite short time in fashion in the history of
things.

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 19:08:02 -0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 17:48:27 -0000, "Jim GM4DHJ ..."
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
et...
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

*wash basins and toilets would be glazed and fired at about 1200°C,
steel baths were enamelled and fired at say 900°C, while GRP baths
were cold-formed, all requiring different pigment compositions.

Reminds me of the furnace we wandered up to in the Azores (no Elfin
Safety there), firing up china at 1200C. We saw them prepping stuff
for
firing - pink pigment that became blue afterwards.

reminds me of the old shanks factory in Barrhead where there were
thousands
of white balls about 9 inch diameter lying about I assumed they were
test
items for the furnace...anybody know different ? ....

I've visited many sanitaryware factories in my day, UK and abroad,
although I don't think ever actually Shanks at Barrhead*. I've never
seen what you've described. But many years ago, say pre-war and 1950's
and 1960's, such factories would wet-grind some of their raw
materials, the so-called non-plastics, quartz and feldspar or
nepheline-syenite being the most common. The balls you saw were
probably grinding balls, usually alumina, but I'm surprised they were
that large; I'd have said 3 - 4" was more common. I can't think what
else they might have been. In later years, all the mfrs would buy
their raw materials from central millers, who did all the grinding for
them.

*I do remember the technical manager from Shanks, Barrhead, giving a
paper at a ceramic industries conference, entitled 'The wind of change
in sanitaryware', which cause some amusement.

yes they may have been smaller as you say...it was 1974 when I worked for
Leggat doing some alterations.........wind...tee hee...going to the shunky
as they say up here .....

I can imagine that as Barrhead was rather remote in terms of ceramic
manufacturing, they may have continued grinding their own materials
rather later than many.

http://i3.dailyrecord.co.uk/incoming...615/shank2.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/medium/49796393.jpg

there is one!

http://mapio.net/pic/p-49796393/

In the Stoke area, those broken bits get finely ground and
incorporated into wall tiles, a process pioneered by H&R Johnson in
the 1990's. It solves a disposal problem for the ceramic industry, as
well as being a cheap raw material for Johnson's to incorporate into
their mix, at about 10% IIRC.

Chris

very interesting thanks ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Blame "Homes under the bloody hammer" and Kirsty & Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Wonder if it was the sanitary makers or BL who chose the colours in the
'70s? So many were shared. Brown really suited an Allegro. ;-)

And the Rover 200 TC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/2017 12:22, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/03/2017 11:18, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

Especially in September when the blackberries
are ripe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/17 11:08, mechanic wrote:

Apparently use of chorine bleach frowned on my the manufacturers,
something to do with surface coating on the pans/basins.

Is that why nearly all loo cleaner feature chlorine?

The surface coating is - er - glass as in 'vitreous enamel'.

Only possible candidate for problems with chlorine would be a fibreglass
bath.

And Expensive japanese self-cleaning loos
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 21:05:32 +0000, Andrew wrote:

On 21/03/17 11:08, mechanic wrote:

Apparently use of chorine bleach frowned on my the manufacturers,
something to do with surface coating on the pans/basins.

Is that why nearly all loo cleaner feature chlorine?

The surface coating is - er - glass as in 'vitreous enamel'.

Only possible candidate for problems with chlorine would be a fibreglass
bath.

And Expensive japanese self-cleaning loos

And our, er, bog-standard Turkish import.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Wonder if it was the sanitary makers or BL who chose the colours in the
'70s? So many were shared. Brown really suited an Allegro. ;-)

I had a gold MKII N reg Escort with a brown vinyl roof.

The monkeys at Knowsley Safari park soon removed that.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/17 18:18, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Wonder if it was the sanitary makers or BL who chose the colours in the
'70s? So many were shared. Brown really suited an Allegro. ;-)

I had a gold MKII N reg Escort with a brown vinyl roof.

The monkeys at Knowsley Safari park soon removed that.

The hot wired it and drove it away?
Wow!

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

Yes. I no longer drive a white van. I have a silver/grey one.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:

On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Rubbish colour for a car, it shows up the dirt.

It tells people that bird**** isn't really white.

What is more irritating is the poor range of colours for cars today. A
blue, a red, and a number of shades between black and white.
Dullsville.

Silver grey is awfully common, too.

Yes. I no longer drive a white van. I have a silver/grey one.

Which caught fire two hours after this post. So I now have a white van
again.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 18:18:04 -0000, ARW wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 21/03/2017 07:48, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
how come all sanitary ware went white? .....

Like cars, white became fashionable.

Wonder if it was the sanitary makers or BL who chose the colours in the
'70s? So many were shared. Brown really suited an Allegro. ;-)

I had a gold MKII N reg Escort with a brown vinyl roof.

The monkeys at Knowsley Safari park soon removed that.

Isn't a lot to do with cost? For example nowadays almost all cars are white, black, blue, red. I've been told that those colours of paint cost less.

--
Law of mechanical repair: After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee.