Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cooker Extractor fan, more noise than extraction

Cooker hood with extractor fan but there doesn't seem to be much
extraction.

The motor is similar to one of these:

https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-h...er-hood-motors

There are three filter sections to the hood and if I hold them up to
the light I can see quite clearly through them all but if I put a
small tissue against even on full it will barely hold.

If I wet my finger and put it near the motor it almost feels as if
more air is on the motor side pushing out than on the other side of my
finger being drawn in. Yet the flap on the extractor exit outside
does open so somethings getting out.

Are they inherently inefficient? Or am I expecting too much? Any
clues to actually get kitchen smells to exit?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 18:20:26 UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
Cooker hood with extractor fan but there doesn't seem to be much
extraction.

The motor is similar to one of these:

https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-h...er-hood-motors

There are three filter sections to the hood and if I hold them up to
the light I can see quite clearly through them all but if I put a
small tissue against even on full it will barely hold.

If I wet my finger and put it near the motor it almost feels as if
more air is on the motor side pushing out than on the other side of my
finger being drawn in. Yet the flap on the extractor exit outside
does open so somethings getting out.

Are they inherently inefficient? Or am I expecting too much? Any
clues to actually get kitchen smells to exit?

--
AnthonyL

The velocity of the air in the duct changes with the cross sectional area.
So if the duct is small the flow will be more easily detected.

Air needs to get into the room to replace that extracted, ideally over the top of the hob.
If it can't, there will be no extraction.

The filters are intended to catch fat so there is reduced build up in the ducts which might catch fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

lid (AnthonyL) Wrote in message:
Cooker hood with extractor fan but there doesn't seem to be much
extraction.

The motor is similar to one of these:

https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-h...er-hood-motors

There are three filter sections to the hood and if I hold them up to
the light I can see quite clearly through them all but if I put a
small tissue against even on full it will barely hold.

If I wet my finger and put it near the motor it almost feels as if
more air is on the motor side pushing out than on the other side of my
finger being drawn in. Yet the flap on the extractor exit outside
does open so somethings getting out.

Are they inherently inefficient? Or am I expecting too much? Any
clues to actually get kitchen smells to exit?

--
AnthonyL

If it's like ours the ducting is probably partially obstructed.
Like yours, ours makes lots of noise and little suction.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Expecting too much. Has to be a pressure difference if the flap opens I
would have thought. Maybe there is another route for the air to take from
where the smell is generated and its being diverted that way.
I could never get a cooker hood to do anything. Don't have one any more,
mind you its only me here now so nobody to annoy with smelly fish etc!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Cooker hood with extractor fan but there doesn't seem to be much
extraction.

The motor is similar to one of these:

https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-h...er-hood-motors

There are three filter sections to the hood and if I hold them up to
the light I can see quite clearly through them all but if I put a
small tissue against even on full it will barely hold.

If I wet my finger and put it near the motor it almost feels as if
more air is on the motor side pushing out than on the other side of my
finger being drawn in. Yet the flap on the extractor exit outside
does open so somethings getting out.

Are they inherently inefficient? Or am I expecting too much? Any
clues to actually get kitchen smells to exit?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Expecting too much. Has to be a pressure difference if the flap opens I
would have thought.

Mine goes off with a hell of a bang and given that its in
the outside wall, it does suck a lot of air out of the room.

Maybe there is another route for the air to take from where the smell is
generated and its being diverted that way.

I could never get a cooker hood to do anything.

Mine works very well.

Don't have one any more, mind you its only me here now so nobody to annoy
with smelly fish etc!

I mostly use it when grilling steaks.

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
Cooker hood with extractor fan but there doesn't seem to be much
extraction.

The motor is similar to one of these:

https://www.luxairhoods.com/cooker-h...er-hood-motors

There are three filter sections to the hood and if I hold them up to
the light I can see quite clearly through them all but if I put a
small tissue against even on full it will barely hold.

If I wet my finger and put it near the motor it almost feels as if
more air is on the motor side pushing out than on the other side of my
finger being drawn in. Yet the flap on the extractor exit outside
does open so somethings getting out.

Are they inherently inefficient? Or am I expecting too much? Any
clues to actually get kitchen smells to exit?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 19:26:14 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

I mostly use it when grilling steaks.

Don't need one when I'm roasting you here every day, Rot! LOL

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."

Someone explain Cooker Hoods and Steam Extraction? Adrian C UK diy 12 April 15th 12 09:53 PM
Cooker Hood (Extractor Fan) and Sloped Ceiling danw UK diy 0 March 28th 09 02:49 PM
Cooker Head Extraction HairyLegs UK diy 10 September 26th 08 08:20 AM
Kitchen extraction fan Grumps UK diy 16 January 30th 06 03:46 PM
Gas cooker extraction fan sPONiX UK diy 10 November 18th 04 08:53 PM