Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Washing machine stopped working

Model Candy Grando GO 1482

Symptoms:
Put machiine to any cycle and water fills for maybe a second then stops
for a second then fills for half second then dead. Same applies to spin
or rinse.
If I turn to drain it drains ok.

So now got machine disconnected and pulled out.
So what to check and how? Electronics stuff I have not a clue :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:14:49 +0000, ss wrote:

So now got machine disconnected and pulled out.
So what to check and how?

Motor brushes worn if it is a few years old. Normally easy to get at
and remove to examine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2017 15:14, ss wrote:
Model Candy Grando GO 1482

Symptoms:
Put machiine to any cycle and water fills for maybe a second then stops
for a second then fills for half second then dead. Same applies to spin
or rinse.
If I turn to drain it drains ok.

So now got machine disconnected and pulled out.
So what to check and how? Electronics stuff I have not a clue :-(

When you say it drains okay does the drum rotate as well or just the
drain pump operating?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/02/2017 16:55, Richard Jones wrote:
When you say it drains okay does the drum rotate as well or just the
drain pump operating?

The drum does not turn, it just drains the water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/02/2017 17:00, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 16:55, Richard Jones wrote:
When you say it drains okay does the drum rotate as well or just the
drain pump operating?

The drum does not turn, it just drains the water.

Follow up:
I have taken off the pressure switch, Utube tells me to connect the
outer connections to a multi meter set at 200K and blow in to the tube.
The switch clicks but the reading apparently should change to Zero from
1, but it remains at 1.
Am I doing this correctly or is there another test I can do.
At this stage the reading shows that the switch is faulty but I dont
understand or trust my electonics.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 February 2017 18:12:42 UTC, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 17:00, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 16:55, Richard Jones wrote:
When you say it drains okay does the drum rotate as well or just the
drain pump operating?

The drum does not turn, it just drains the water.

Follow up:
I have taken off the pressure switch, Utube tells me to connect the
outer connections to a multi meter set at 200K and blow in to the tube.
The switch clicks but the reading apparently should change to Zero from
1, but it remains at 1.
Am I doing this correctly or is there another test I can do.
At this stage the reading shows that the switch is faulty but I dont
understand or trust my electonics.

Pressure switch should indeed change between zero & infinity ohms. But it won't switch in 1 or a few seconds in the machine, so could only be cause of your ills if it's early on in the power feed, which it may well be.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 February 2017 21:12:47 UTC, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 18:42, tabbypurr wrote:

Pressure switch should indeed change between zero & infinity ohms. But it won't switch in 1 or a few seconds in the machine, so could only be cause of your ills if it's early on in the power feed, which it may well be.

I think the pressure switch is ok as I switched terminals and got readings.

I now have the motor out.
If I connect a multi meter would I get continuitity if this was the
issue. The brushes are on the limit with just 4mm left and the gap
between the end of the holder and the motor is approx the same, I cant
get a proper measure for the gap as it is awkward space.

It's unlikely the motor has anything to do with it. The manual will show you the 3 resistance readings you can expect for rotor, field & tacho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 24 February 2017 21:44:02 UTC, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 21:27, tabbypurr wrote:
It's unlikely the motor has anything to do with it. The manual will show you the 3 resistance readings you can expect for rotor, field & tacho.

No tech info in the user manual (downloaded from internet)

get the repair manual
A random machine:

Resistance contacts
68.70 6-7
2.15 4-5
1.46 2-3
0.65 1-3

I wouldnt know what to do with the info, over my head.

Learn.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-24 18:12, ss wrote:

Follow up:
I have taken off the pressure switch, Utube tells me to connect the
outer connections to a multi meter set at 200K and blow in to the tube.

Also blow into the plastic tube that attaches to the pressure switch
to check it's clear and/or blow out any gunge as Chris Hogg suggested.
Just doing this fixed a previous washing machine.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-24 22:20, Peter Parry wrote:

Modern brushes at the end of their life fail very quickly. If the
machine drum doesn't turn they are the most likely cause. Often the
most you will see beforehand is that the wash before they fail there
might be odd noises.

I didn't even get odd noises. Machine worked properly, then next time
no motor. Fitting new brushes restored normal operation.

If there's no travel left on the brushes that's a strong sign that new
brushes are needed.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/02/2017 22:59, Graham Nye wrote:
Also blow into the plastic tube that attaches to the pressure switch
to check it's clear and/or blow out any gunge as Chris Hogg suggested.
Just doing this fixed a previous washing machine.

Yes I have done that and it appears ok.
Question, since the motor is out if I connect it to a power source if it
were faulty (brushes) would I be correct in assuming it would not run?
Assuming this to be the cause of the washing machine issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 00:00, ss wrote:
On 24/02/2017 22:59, Graham Nye wrote:
Also blow into the plastic tube that attaches to the pressure switch
to check it's clear and/or blow out any gunge as Chris Hogg suggested.
Just doing this fixed a previous washing machine.

Yes I have done that and it appears ok.
Question, since the motor is out if I connect it to a power source if it
were faulty (brushes) would I be correct in assuming it would not run?
Assuming this to be the cause of the washing machine issue.

That's not a reliable test because the motor won't be under load. The
brushes might be able to conduct enough current to let the motor
turn off load but not pass the higher current needed to turn a full
drum.

As you have the motor out you can check the movement on the brushes.
If they've worn down to the point where the brushes can't move
closer to the commutator[1] then they need replacing.

[1] the copper part of the rotor they rub on.

Look on Google for replacement brushes for your motor type to see
what a new brush should look like and compare them to what you have.
There should be a relatively long carbon section often (but not always)
fixed in some form of holder. If all you have is a little stub of
carbon it's new brush time. If you're not sure you could post a
photo of your brushes[2] and the panel will give you an opinion.

[2] Not here! Put it on some other photo-sharing site and post a
link here.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 25/02/2017 08:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
Not just the tube, but there's sometimes an air reservoir, like a
little bottle, at the lower end of the tube with relatively small
holes leading to both the tube to the pressure switch and the washing
drum. Make sure those holes are clear.

This is an image of old and new, I would say eed replacing regardless.

It states on ebay for a `sole` motor is that a brand or a type as mine
looks identical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

On 25/02/2017 08:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
Not just the tube, but there's sometimes an air reservoir, like a
little bottle, at the lower end of the tube with relatively small
holes leading to both the tube to the pressure switch and the washing
drum. Make sure those holes are clear.

This is an image of old and new, I would say eed replacing regardless.

It states on ebay for a `sole` motor is that a brand or a type as mine
looks identical.

That brush is a very strong candidate for the cause of the problem.
Just yesterday fixed a Bosch machine with exactly the same symptoms.
Brushes were slightly longer, about 10mm, but design was such that the
spring was no longer applying any pressure at this length.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 10:01:02 +0000, ss wrote:

This is an image of old and new, I would say eed replacing regardless.

Those are certainly at the end of their life and a good candidate for
causing your problem.

It states on ebay for a `sole` motor is that a brand or a type as mine
looks identical.

There are only a couple of motor manufacturers, Sole is one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 25/02/2017 15:17, Peter Parry wrote:
There are only a couple of motor manufacturers, Sole is one of them.

ok thanks. The brushes I am looking at should be good then its just
that they stated for a sole motor although they and the motor look
exactly like what I have except there is no sole label on my motor, so
wasnt sure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-25 10:01, ss wrote:
On 25/02/2017 08:09, Chris Hogg wrote:
Not just the tube, but there's sometimes an air reservoir, like a
little bottle, at the lower end of the tube with relatively small
holes leading to both the tube to the pressure switch and the washing
drum. Make sure those holes are clear.

This is an image of old and new, I would say eed replacing regardless.

Yup, that's cream crackered.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/17 15:14, ss wrote:
Model Candy Grando GO 1482

Symptoms:
Put machiine to any cycle and water fills for maybe a second then stops
for a second then fills for half second then dead. Same applies to spin
or rinse.
If I turn to drain it drains ok.

So now got machine disconnected and pulled out.
So what to check and how? Electronics stuff I have not a clue :-(

I'd check the sensor which detects water level- or more exactly the pipe
that feeds it.

The sensor is (usually) round, maybe 3" in dia. and about midway up the
machine. It has a few wires and a pipe which goes to the 'plumbing' in
the lower regions. Check the pipe isn't blocked and the area where it
connects to the 'plumbing' is also clear- they can get clogged with the
grey 'gunge' you find in machines. Also, a small hole/split is possible
but a blockage is more common.

It is worth cleaning the 'gunge out' of the whole machine- as best you
can- including the drain hose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just the drain pump

--