Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which way around?

I have a Dell notebook and am trying to get a multi settings charger to power it up.

The connections with the charger reverse to allow for different polarities but the signs on the back of the box differ. The Dell is marked with a broken line under a continuous line while the charger is either negative on the outer setting or inner setting and I have to reverse two pins according to which I need.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, I would appreciate a good telling.
Like this C-
Or like this C+
With this:
____
----

What I really need is a new battery. As they were originally made in 2003 I can't see how replacement batteries can be described as new. But that is what they are being advertklised as. How come?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/02/17 16:46, Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a Dell notebook and am trying to get a multi settings charger to power it up.

The connections with the charger reverse to allow for different polarities but the signs on the back of the box differ. The Dell is marked with a broken line under a continuous line while the charger is either negative on the outer setting or inner setting and I have to reverse two pins according to which I need.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, I would appreciate a good telling.
Like this C-
Or like this C+
With this:
____
----

What I really need is a new battery. As they were originally made in 2003 I can't see how replacement batteries can be described as new. But that is what they are being advertklised as. How come?

Modern Dell (as in last 3 years or so)?

You may find it won't charge off a "foreign" charger - mine (Latitude
E7440) needs a genuine Dell PSU to charge - a generic merely maintains
power without filling the battery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have a Dell notebook and am trying to get a multi settings charger
to power it up.

Model?

The connections with the charger reverse to allow for different
polarities but the signs on the back of the box differ. The Dell is
marked with a broken line under a continuous line while the charger
is either negative on the outer setting or inner setting and I have
to reverse two pins according to which I need.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, I would appreciate a good
telling. Like this C- Or like this C+ With this: ____ ----

The horizontal lines only indicate that it's DC rather than AC, they
don't say anything about polarity.

Is it one of the Dells with three connections to the 19V PSU?
Rather than supplying power over the outer surface of the barrel and a
centre pin, they supply power over the outer and inner surfaces of the
barrel connection, with a slim data pin in the centre.

Without any connection on the data pin the laptop is likely to complain
about incompatible charger and work in "limp" mode where it will run at
slowest speed and may not charge the battery at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 16:58:30 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have a Dell notebook and am trying to get a multi settings charger
to power it up.

Model?

Dell Latitude D400

The horizontal lines only indicate that it's DC rather than AC, they
don't say anything about polarity.

Is it one of the Dells with three connections to the 19V PSU?

It is q 11.1V battery IIRC.

Rather than supplying power over the outer surface of the barrel and a
centre pin, they supply power over the outer and inner surfaces of the
barrel connection, with a slim data pin in the centre.

Without any connection on the data pin the laptop is likely to complain
about incompatible charger and work in "limp" mode where it will run at
slowest speed and may not charge the battery at all.

I dare say there is a reason for that but I would never find out and am not likely to buy another Dell. Ever!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

[...]

Probably the same reason printers do some sort of digital masonic
handshake with the ink cartridges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

[...]

I wonder who is making New batteries for old computers.

That reminds me I want to find a copy of Tiny XP. The present OS is fast so the nxt version is going to smoke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Dell Latitude D400

I had (still have somewhere?) A D800, pretty sure that took the type
with the 3rd centre pin.

It is q 11.1V battery IIRC.

battery voltage and charger voltage are not the same

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

I wonder who is making New batteries for old computers.

http://www.dell-laptop-batteries.co....tude-d400.html

About £50, which be about treble the value of such an old machine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 February 2017 16:49:49 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Bloody odd that I dare say there is a financial reason and a modicum of sense but I don't know what that last might be.