Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting Finished Skirting

I need to fit the entire ground floor level with Finished (i.e. gloss painted) skirting I got from Wickes.

Usual problem though is that the walls are uneven so skirting has varying gaps to the wall, up to about 8mm max. I normally pump in Caulk or White sealant.

Am I missing something or is there a better or more efficient way.

I've not got round to fixing any yet but plan to use 'instant' grab adhesive but doubt it will hold the skirting tight in the concave sections. If I drill and tighten the skirting then I destroy the advantage of using finished skirting as I'll have to caulk and paint over the screw holes.

Suggestions very welcome!

PS I'm using finished skirting because its over new laminate (and newly plastered walls) so dread the thought of painting the skirting and getting paint on my new lam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

simon mitchelmore wrote:
I need to fit the entire ground floor level with Finished (i.e. gloss
painted) skirting I got from Wickes.

Usual problem though is that the walls are uneven so skirting has
varying gaps to the wall, up to about 8mm max. I normally pump in
Caulk or White sealant.

Am I missing something or is there a better or more efficient way.

I've not got round to fixing any yet but plan to use 'instant' grab
adhesive but doubt it will hold the skirting tight in the concave
sections. If I drill and tighten the skirting then I destroy the
advantage of using finished skirting as I'll have to caulk and paint
over the screw holes.

Suggestions very welcome!

PS I'm using finished skirting because its over new laminate (and
newly plastered walls) so dread the thought of painting the skirting
and getting paint on my new lam.

As for your PS:
I've painted skirting board over laminated floors several times.
Just use masking tape on the laminated floor, pull the tape up as soon as
you have finished painting and use a cloth and white spirit to clean up any
creeping paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2017 17:56, simon mitchelmore wrote:
I need to fit the entire ground floor level with Finished (i.e. gloss
painted) skirting I got from Wickes.

Usual problem though is that the walls are uneven so skirting has
varying gaps to the wall, up to about 8mm max. I normally pump in
Caulk or White sealant.

Am I missing something or is there a better or more efficient way.

I've not got round to fixing any yet but plan to use 'instant' grab
adhesive but doubt it will hold the skirting tight in the concave
sections. If I drill and tighten the skirting then I destroy the
advantage of using finished skirting as I'll have to caulk and paint
over the screw holes.

Suggestions very welcome!

Any method of tightening the skirting will make it look awful, leave the
skirting straight, caulk the gaps & paint.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2017 17:56, simon mitchelmore wrote:
I need to fit the entire ground floor level with Finished (i.e. gloss
painted) skirting I got from Wickes.

Usual problem though is that the walls are uneven so skirting has
varying gaps to the wall, up to about 8mm max. I normally pump in
Caulk or White sealant.

Am I missing something or is there a better or more efficient way.

Nope, that is the best way.

Fix it to the high points and fill any gaps. If you make it follow the
contours of the wall then you just draw the eye to the irregularities in
the wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 16/02/2017 17:56, simon mitchelmore wrote:
I need to fit the entire ground floor level with Finished (i.e. gloss
painted) skirting I got from Wickes.

Usual problem though is that the walls are uneven so skirting has
varying gaps to the wall, up to about 8mm max. I normally pump in
Caulk or White sealant.

Am I missing something or is there a better or more efficient way.

Nope, that is the best way.

Fix it to the high points and fill any gaps. If you make it follow the
contours of the wall then you just draw the eye to the irregularities in
the wall.

--
Cheers,

John.

This is clearly subjective.
Personally, if the curves are gentle over a long length, I'd be
parking a couple of heavy toolboxes against it rather than having
lengths with thick caulk filler.
Once you have furniture in the room you will see short sections
with wide filled gaps, but will be unlikely to get into a
position where you can eye along a whole length.
Might depend on size of rooms perhaps.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
simon mitchelmore wrote:
PS I'm using finished skirting because its over new laminate (and newly
plastered walls) so dread the thought of painting the skirting and
getting paint on my new lam.

I'd say you'd be very lucky not to have to paint any corners, etc.

You could put some polythene sheet over the floor and under the skirting.
Then remove after any touching up.

--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TheChief Wrote in message:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

+1
Wish I hadn't got the t-shirt :-)

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2017 23:49, TheChief wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

Fine until someone tiles the floor or fits laminate or a carpet with a
regular pattern ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

Though all of these drawbacks assume the room/ floor is square in
the first place..

A decent carpet fitter should be able to tweak a carpet to limit
the issue or move the alignment issue to the least visible
dimension as earlier..
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

I doubt he is going to bend a carpet to match the undulating skirting!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

I think "stretch" is the applicable verb ;-)

Happened here along an out of square landing & at a couple if
threshold strips all with a pin dot stair carpet.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 17:29, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

The thrust of what I was getting at, was if you fit a carpet with a
regular pattern, it will just highlight the bent skirting.

Still, whatever floats you boat!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 18/02/2017 17:29, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

Er yerss, I believe I understood you...

Still, whatever floats you boat!

Heh! Just another practicality of renovating old houses - in
summary :- accept "straight" things are probably not straight &
attempts to straighten will usually look equally crap unless you
go to significant expense...

And choose floor coverings carefully!

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 February 2017 05:10:12 UTC, jim wrote:

Heh! Just another practicality of renovating old houses - in
summary :- accept "straight" things are probably not straight &
attempts to straighten will usually look equally crap unless you
go to significant expense...

Putting straight anything in amid crooked does look bad.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2017 05:10, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 18/02/2017 17:29, jim wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
[...]

Indeed the old adage, if it looks right, then it is.

--
Cheers,

John.