Fixing deep back box for shower isolator

Old February 17th 17, 04:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing deep back box for shower isolator

Dave Plowman (News) laid this down on his screen :
In article ,
Phil L wrote:
I've tried gluing the back box in but as soon as there is any movement
of the cables, which there obviously is when connecting the switch,
the glue can't hold and the box moves about again.

Remove the box, and fit a couple of wood battens either side of the
opening (1" x 1" will be more than adequate) to the back of the
plasterboard, their edges flush with the opening. Screw them in place
using screws through the plasterboard and make good the heads - non
rusting screws being best.

Then screw the box to the battens using small countersunk head screws that
won't foul on the fitting in any way. You may well have to drill holes in
the box sides for this.

This method provides an extremely strong fixing for any steel backbox
into plasterboard.

If the plasterboard were tiled or well decorated, you might get away with
glueing the battens to the back of it and clamping until the glue sets. If
you're lucky. ;-)

Excellent, cheers Dave
Old February 17th 17, 05:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
Tim+ submitted this idea :
Pete Zahut wrote:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
We live in a 1960s semi-detached dormer bungalow, the internal walls of
which seem to be made of something like an egg-box construction.

There's a 45A double pole switch for the shower mounted outside the
bathroom but whoever fitted it should have used a dry-lining box rather
than a metal back box. Presumably the reason they didn't, is that there
are no dry-lining boxes that have the lugs in the correct orientation
for this situation.

The metal back box that's there at the moment is a very deep one (don't
know if they're 45 or 50mm deep) but we can't get away with anything
shallower because of the two 10mm twin+earth cables and the depth of
the switch.

The problem is, the box is actually touching the plasterboard (or
whatever it is) at the other side of the wall, so there's no depth to
be able to plug and screw and fixings - which is why it needs a
dry-lining box that no one makes!

One of these?

http://www.websparky.co.uk/acatalog/...mm-Deep-Dry-Li
ning-Box-WA107P.html

That's a standard dry-lining box. I need the lugs to be on the other
two surfaces (top and bottom as you look at that photo) but nobody
makes them.

Can you inject some gripfill /Stixall type adhesive through the
holes in the back if the one you've got already & try
again?

Maybe, but not hopeful to be honest.

Um, your switch has screws top and bottom so you want a box that has screw
fixings in the same place. Fit that dry lining box vertically and you have
what you need, unless I'm missing something obvious...

Tim

Only two 10mm twin and earth cables coming in and going out at the
bottom :')

How much slack is there in the cables? Enough to re-route?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 17th 17, 05:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut formulated the question :
Tim+ submitted this idea :
Pete Zahut wrote:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
[...]

Aha, yes, I see what you mean Tim - I'm a bit of a numpty lol
Yes, I need something that doesn't exist ( a dry-lining box with lugs
at top and sides but only a screw fixing at the bottom, to allow for
the entry/exit of the cables at the bottom), which is obviously why
they went with the metal back box instead.
Old February 17th 17, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ was thinking very hard :
Pete Zahut wrote:
Tim+ submitted this idea :
Pete Zahut wrote:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
[...]

Sadly not. However, Dave Plowman's suggestion gives me hope of getting
it sorted without too much hassle.
Old February 17th 17, 05:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
Tim+ was thinking very hard :
Pete Zahut wrote:
Tim+ submitted this idea :
Pete Zahut wrote:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
[...]

Couldn't you just cut a biggish hole in one of the bottom corners of a dry
lining enclosure? Dunno about the "legality" of such a modification.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old February 17th 17, 05:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pete Zahut wrote:
Sadly not. However, Dave Plowman's suggestion gives me hope of getting
it sorted without too much hassle.

I dislike dryline boxes as you can sometimes see them with the fitting in
place.

My method works every time and is totally invisible. And as strong as the
plasterboard.

--
*I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 17th 17, 05:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

A box with a relay in it somewhere else and a low voltage feed to a switch
for the relay?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Pete Zahut" wrote in message news
[...]

Any great ideas what to do? Photo he

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/DP9yF4ef9r

Old February 17th 17, 05:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ formulated the question :
Pete Zahut wrote:
Tim+ was thinking very hard :
Pete Zahut wrote:
Tim+ submitted this idea :
Pete Zahut wrote:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
[...]

I suppose that may work, might just try it as an experiment as I've got
Dave's suggestion to fall back on if it doesn't work, cheers.
Old February 17th 17, 06:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
A box with a relay in it somewhere else and a low voltage feed to a switch
for the relay?

I don't think that's allowed - it has to be possible to see the state of
the isolator (and not rely on an indicator light) or it's not an
isolator.

Mike
Old February 17th 17, 07:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim

Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
jim expressed precisely :
Pete Zahut Wrote in message:
[...]