Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is 80gms paper getting thinner?

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

Were you not aware of the EU plot to devalue the gram? There are now
to be 1250 in a kg. This is an alternative fact, but no less true
because of that.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/17 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around £2 per
ream.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2017 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

It depends if measure by mass or by weight.

The Gravitation Constant does vary from year to year!
https://phys.org/news/2015-04-gravit...tant-vary.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or longer if
it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:02:03 +0000, R D S wrote:

On 12/02/17 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around £2 per
ream.

I'm clearly on planet Zog - Tescozog that is - @ £5.50/500
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or longer if
it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

It could be for better quality,but should be the same weight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Judith wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or
longer if it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

You fail to allow for the possibility that it is getting denser.
Slightly less unlikely than the size of A4 changing significantly.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Judith
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or
longer if it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

unless the sq metre is changed that won't happen. Mind you there's a lot
of 75gsm paper about.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article , Judith
wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or
longer if it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

unless the sq metre is changed that won't happen. Mind you there's a
lot of 75gsm paper about.

What is a decent weight for everyday inkjet text printing?
Nothing too posh is required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2017 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I think they are adding a lot of depleted uranium to the paper now to
get rid of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 February 2017 16:50:18 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

What is a decent weight for everyday inkjet text printing?
Nothing too posh is required.

75 or 80gsm

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 February 2017 16:09:19 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
You fail to allow for the possibility that it is getting denser.
Slightly less unlikely than the size of A4 changing significantly.

Paper can vary significantly in density depending on how it is processed during manufacture, and thus change the bulk/caliper.

Book paper is often a looser, bulkier weave than bond/writing paper.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , R D S
escribió:

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around £2 per
ream.

My local Morrisons had reams of Canon 80gsm paper on offer at 2 quid ea
recently. It's superb quality so I went back and grabbed a couple more.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
news
On 12/02/17 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around £2 per
ream.

Wilkinsons £2.40
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this recycled paper?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"dave" wrote in message
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
On 20:14 12 Feb 2017, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

pamela wrote:

wrote:

What is a decent weight for everyday inkjet text printing?
Nothing too posh is required.

75 or 80gsm

NT

Taa.
I do very little printing and had run out of the paper I
bought nearly 10 years ago. I had bought quite a lot.
Soooooooooo, whilst in some Pound shop ages ago I bought some.
The print quality was utter crap even after I did all the
things I supposed to do with the printer.
The printer is ancient ----------- was it the printer or the
paper? Has to be the paper, there is no weight on the
packaging.

Poor quality printer ink will spread out more and produce less
distinct lettering.

The ink is okay.
I omitted to mention that I used the ink and printer on my last
few sheets of decent paper. It was fine

I'm surprised that you do so little printing that you can manage with
an ancient printer and 10 year stockpile of paper. I print a lot
including articles or web pages that I find too tiring to read on
screen. I go through loads of paper.

The original £350 HP printer packed in ages ago, I was given a Epson Stylus
R300 which came with ink carts, exempt the black which was of course was
empty on the printer.
Got some online and the printer printed fine on the last sheets of decent
paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2017 20:19, pamela wrote:
I print a lot
including articles or web pages that I find too tiring to read on
screen.

Get a better screen.

I spend all day looking at screens, and don't have a problem. I usually
only print things when I want a hard copy record to file.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2017 14:02, R D S wrote:
On 12/02/17 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around £2 per
ream.

I bought a couple of reams this afternoon, £1.99 each at Clas Ohlson.
I've been using this stuff for a while, it's good quality.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2017 16:09, Roger Hayter wrote:
Judith wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or
longer if it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

You fail to allow for the possibility that it is getting denser.
Slightly less unlikely than the size of A4 changing significantly.

A0 is one square metre. A4 is one sixteenth of a square meter. One
sheet of 80gsm A4 weighs 5g.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/17 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around £2 per
ream.

£5 including delivery, buying 5 reams at once. Show me where you pay £2!

--
Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 -0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.

--
Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:52:01 -0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:54:35 +0000, Andy Bennet
wrote:

On 12/02/2017 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I think they are adding a lot of depleted uranium to the paper now to
get rid of it.

chuckle
I know a lot of paper these days fluoresces under UV light, but that's
not from its uranium content! (They actually add fluorescent dyes to
the mix to make it appear extra white,

Wouldn't that make it extra purple?

in much the same way as they
add them to detergents to make your whites whiter, and fluoresce under
'black light' i.e. UV illumination in night clubs etc)). Besides,
uranium salts are yellow, which isn't what paper mfrs want.

--
In an attempt to attract a more modern, hipper, high tech type of customer, Campbell's Alphabet Soup now comes with spell check.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know a lot of paper these days fluoresces under UV light, but that's
not from its uranium content! (They actually add fluorescent dyes to
the mix to make it appear extra white,

Wouldn't that make it extra purple?

New persic, washes your togas even purpler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:50:37 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 -0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.

Why would you actually want to count it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 -0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.

Why would you actually want to count it?

To print 200 sheets of something. Despite this being the 21st century, printers are useless at counting. They tend to forget where they got up to when the cartridge runs out etc.

--
Freeze mother stickers, this is a **** up!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You forgot to tell us what the problem was, but generally inkjet should print onto any paper. Lasers can suffer dropouts due to conductive patches in recycled paper.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/17 13:32, dave wrote:
Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

What are you paying? You can usually find it somewhere for around �2 per
ream.

I'm clearly on planet Zog - Tescozog that is - @ �5.50/500

I just got some on eBay for £5 including postage,
delivered the day after ordering.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/zqrom7r
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 -0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.

There's a hole in my bucket dear birdbrain, dear birdbrain. The OP was
complaining about the variable thickness of 80gsm paper which suggests
the density of the sheets - and hence the thickness - is variable.

A better way to 'count' sheets would be to weigh them. Each A4 sheet
occupies an area of 0.06237m2 (297 x 210mm). Therefore 16.0333493666827
sheets per m2. Each sheet must always weigh 0.200416867083534 grams
regardless of thickness (otherwise it is not 80gsm paper).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2017 08:57, Andy Bennet wrote:
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 -0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

0.1mm per sheet - a good way to count it is to use a micrometer.

There's a hole in my bucket dear birdbrain, dear birdbrain. The OP was
complaining about the variable thickness of 80gsm paper which suggests
the density of the sheets - and hence the thickness - is variable.

A better way to 'count' sheets would be to weigh them. Each A4 sheet
occupies an area of 0.06237m2 (297 x 210mm). Therefore 16.0333493666827
sheets per m2. Each sheet must always weigh 0.200416867083534 grams
regardless of thickness (otherwise it is not 80gsm paper).

Ooops pressed go too soon.

Each sheet must always weigh 4.9896 grams
regardless of thickness (otherwise it is not 80gsm paper).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/17 07:59, Bob Martin wrote:

I just got some on eBay for £5 including postage,
delivered the day after ordering.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/zqrom7r

I missed this one! 99p + 99p delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-A-8...-/361901116241

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 4:09:19 PM UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
Judith wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 13:32:32 +0000, dave wrote:

Is 80 gms printer paper getting thinner - or am I just imagining it!
Certainly getting more expensive

I suspect if it is getting thinner - then it will be getting wider or
longer if it is to maintain the 80gm spec.

You fail to allow for the possibility that it is getting denser.
Slightly less unlikely than the size of A4 changing significantly.

and in any case it's 80 grams *per square metre*, so changing the size of A4 would have no effect.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:36:43 PM UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:

A0 is one square metre.

How interesting, I didn't know that. 841mm x 1189 mm = 1 square metre :-)

Also of course 1189/841 = 1.414 = sqrt(2)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 01:52:52 -0800, RobertL wrote:

On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 10:36:43 PM UTC, Clive Arthur wrote:

A0 is one square metre.

How interesting, I didn't know that. 841mm x 1189 mm = 1 square metre
:-)

Also of course 1189/841 = 1.414 = sqrt(2)

This is quite interesting; I found it a while ago.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

What's the difference between Red Rosin paper and Brown builders paper? blueman Home Repair 2 July 16th 09 07:35 AM
Paper Shredder problem with paper detect circuitry Father Guido Electronics Repair 9 June 18th 08 12:02 PM
BLO and Thinner Jimmy Woodworking 6 January 25th 07 10:33 AM
removed wall paper and drywall paper came off with it PipeDown Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 05:01 AM