Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Resurfacing drive - best moss/lichen/algae killer

The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Iron Sulphate as a moss killer. Can't remember if it is ferric or ferrous.

Glyphosate will only work on growing plants to conduct it to the roots.
It is NOT more effective to use a stronger mix. That just kills the
greenery and does not allow it

Ammonium sulphamate (NOT Sulphate) will help kill roots. Technically
cant be sold as a weed killer but perfectly legal as a composting
accelerator. Thanks to EU nonsense rule interpretation in uk

A mix of the last two is fairly effective on Ivy esp with a little
washing up liquid to make it wet the surface of ivy leaves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 16:15:12 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during
Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the
resurfacing.

Iron Sulphate as a moss killer. Can't remember if it is ferric or
ferrous.

Ahh of course - I've used it on grass before but avoided hard surfaces
because of staining. A resurface won'r be bothered about the stain (hand
to forehead momemnt)

Glyphosate will only work on growing plants to conduct it to the roots.
It is NOT more effective to use a stronger mix. That just kills the
greenery and does not allow it

Yup - use it regulalrly

Ammonium sulphamate (NOT Sulphate) will help kill roots. Technically
cant be sold as a weed killer but perfectly legal as a composting
accelerator. Thanks to EU nonsense rule interpretation in uk

Yup - I do 'compost' a few things these days.

Thanks Bob.
--
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during
Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the
resurfacing.

Cheapest would probably be salt grit, or normal salt.
I did my path a few winters back and when the rain washed it away, it was
immaculate. The remainder of the paving was still green where no salt had
been applied

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 09:36:16 -0600, Mark Allread
wrote:

The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Glyphosate will kill growing plants, but it won't touch moss.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Ferrous sulphate (iron II sulphate). Light green powder. You can get
it pretty cheaply if you buy it from ebay or amazon.

It will oxidise to some extent when you mix it with water, and then a
bit more when it's exposed to the air. It can stain concrete orange.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Glyphosate will only work on growing plants to conduct it to the roots.

Doesn't touch moss, try a sprinkle of "oxi bleach" powder just before it
rains ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 February 2017 15:36:19 UTC, Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

--
Mark

Best to pressure jet as much as possible off first.
You can buy proper algaecides at you local builder's merchant to finally kill it off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim wrote:
Mark Allread Wrote in message:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to
get rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart
before machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead
moss and loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during
Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the
resurfacing.

Shurely if it's being resurfaced the existing surface (etc) will
be removed first?

Glyphosate only works on growing plants, and is not a residual
"pathclear" type inhibitor to new germinations.

It sounds like it's tarmac ('loose surface dressing') - in which case they
normally spray on a thin coat of bitumen to act as a bonding agent rather
than remove the top layer. This is very expensive and only usually used on
main roads and motorways

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Mark Allread Wrote in message:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Shurely if it's being resurfaced the existing surface (etc) will
be removed first?

Glyphosate only works on growing plants, and is not a residual
"pathclear" type inhibitor to new germinations.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2017 15:36, Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Jeyes Fluid works well but the "creosote" smell can linger.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Caecilius
writes

It can stain concrete orange.

There's no 'can' about it!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 February 2017 18:36:15 UTC, LSR wrote:
On 03/02/2017 15:36, Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get rid
of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and loose
surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Jeyes Fluid works well but the "creosote" smell can linger.

--
Reentrant

Jeyes fluid is good. Results last quite a while too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 17:15:28 +0000, Caecilius wrote:

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 09:36:16 -0600, Mark Allread wrote:

The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Glyphosate will kill growing plants, but it won't touch moss.

I know - that's why it is being used as well as moss killer. There are
weeds as well as moss. Glyphosate, at this time o f the year will be
slow but will eventually work.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during Feb/
March months - staining will not be a problem due to the resurfacing.

Ferrous sulphate (iron II sulphate). Light green powder. You can get it
pretty cheaply if you buy it from ebay or amazon.

It will oxidise to some extent when you mix it with water, and then a
bit more when it's exposed to the air. It can stain concrete orange.

It *will* stain not can stain. Hnece why I've only used it on grass
before and had forgotten about it for hard surfaces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 17:51:28 +0000, jim wrote:

Mark Allread Wrote in message:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during
Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the
resurfacing.

Shurely if it's being resurfaced the existing surface (etc) will
be removed first?

Its being mecahnically brushed (Bobcat probably) then a tack coat then
30mm topcoat

Glyphosate only works on growing plants, and is not a residual
"pathclear" type inhibitor to new germinations.

Yup - familaiar with it but I'm traeting some weds as well as moss at the
same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 16:51:06 +0000, Phil L wrote:

Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during
Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the
resurfacing.

Cheapest would probably be salt grit, or normal salt.
I did my path a few winters back and when the rain washed it away, it
was immaculate. The remainder of the paving was still green where no
salt had been applied

Hmm, not thought of that. I have a heap so will try some out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

[...]

Whereabouts are you to get weed growth at this time?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 15:05:46 +0000, jim wrote:

Mark Allread Wrote in message:

{snipped}

Whereabouts are you to get weed growth at this time?

Yorkshire c1000ft ASL

We have had a very mild winter this year. Grass is beginning to grow
again (lawns as well as beds and drive). Blackthorn is already beginning
to green a tad in sunnier spots.

Box hedging has already had a trim to remove the long growth and tidy it
up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-04, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sat, 04 Feb 2017 15:05:46 +0000, jim wrote:

Mark Allread Wrote in message:

{snipped}

Whereabouts are you to get weed growth at this time?

Yorkshire c1000ft ASL

We have had a very mild winter this year. Grass is beginning to grow
again (lawns as well as beds and drive). Blackthorn is already
beginning to green a tad in sunnier spots.

Box hedging has already had a trim to remove the long growth and tidy
it up.

My grass needs mowing. The bulbs already have 3" or so of leaf on them.

Yup, not much of a winter rest this season - late Autumn/early winter
final mow and it looks like a late Winter/early Spring start to mowing
again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 18:36:12 +0000, LSR wrote:

On 03/02/2017 15:36, Mark Allread wrote:
The drive is to be resurfaced but before I have it done I want to get
rid of Moss etc.

Thoughts are to give a double treatment a couple of weeks apart before
machine brushing (Bobcat mounted brush) to remove the dead moss and
loose surface dressing.

Glyphosate will be used also as a systemic weedkiller.

Any recommendations on the best *moss etc* killer applicable during
Feb/ March months - staining will not be a problem due to the
resurfacing.

Jeyes Fluid works well but the "creosote" smell can linger.

Its a thought -ta.

I've considered copper dust. Any experience anyone?

Driveway Green Moss (Algae?) ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 7 May 8th 16 06:01 PM
Algae & Moss removal rick UK diy 5 November 25th 15 02:47 PM
Algae & Moss Removal (corrected) rick UK diy 10 November 4th 15 06:57 PM
Kill lichen/moss on roof woger151 Home Repair 7 July 20th 11 09:08 AM
Moss algae removal ste UK diy 40 October 8th 07 08:22 AM