Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [EU] budget implications

A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean
for the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean for
the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

the EU doesn't understand the term "cutting spending"

that option has no chance

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 10:23, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean
for the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

the EU doesn't understand the term "cutting spending"

that option has no chance

tim

I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce payments.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 19/01/2017 10:23, tim... wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean
for the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

the EU doesn't understand the term "cutting spending"

that option has no chance

tim

I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/17 09:54, Andy Burns wrote:
A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean
for the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

Oh dear. How sad. Nevermind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual nationality so
they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean for
the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
+1 Especially as they's all have to agree to it, and I can't see the
net beneficiaries doing that. They're going to be 10 billion Euros
worse off, per annum. No wonder they're trying to make things
difficult. The other side of that coin is that we'll be the same
amount better off. It should go some way to cover the cost of paying
World Trade Association tariffs if we come out hard. Not only that,
but a while ago I heard minigod Nige say that the dues we'd receive on
EU imports to the UK would be greater than the dues we'd pay on our
exports to the EU. Whether the Delors analysis takes that into
account, I didn't go looking.

Ah. UKIP. That font of all knowledge. I take it you didn't hear Paul
Nuttall being interviewed on R4 Today on Tuesday? Where he said after
leaving the EU, the UK would be free to make trade agreements with those
EU countries it chose to - like Germany. Of course he was pulled up on
this and attempted to back pedal. But it does show the sort of thing their
supporters are told to believe.

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 11:05:09 UTC, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual nationality so
they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

Strange rumours where have they caome from and by who.
You can't just choose to have dual nationality at the drop of a hat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/17 11:05, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual nationality so
they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

It would be stupid if the EU excluded scientists on the basis that they
were British, as against US, Chinese, Indian, S African, Belgian or
Portuguese.

The EU's new clothes are looking increasingly threadbare, as more and
more the real ugly truth is revealed. The EU desperately needs the UK,
but the UK needs the EU like a hole in the head.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote:
On 11:05 19 Jan 2017, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual
nationality so they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

Lucky me, I think I may qualify for dual nationality and a
passport from an EU member state. I won't pass that up if I can
get it. It may be very useful to leave this sinking ship behind in
a few years.

What could better symbolise Britain's exaggerated pride in it's
own shoddiness than the old blue passport? Oversized, creasable,
with shabby paper behind windows, prone to letters rubbing off,
and all that. Yet many retain a strange proud hypnotic attachment
to it. I wonder if Brexiteers will turn back the clock and restore
it? I don't mind the colour but the rest of it is so ugh!

Suggestion, leave now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

I heard minigod Nige say that the dues we'd receive on EU imports to
the UK would be greater than the dues we'd pay on our exports to the
EU. Whether the Delors analysis takes that into account, I didn't go
looking.

It does mention that if we end up with WTO trade, the dues the EU would
receive from UK trade could halve their "brexit gap" but would
eventually see individual EU states income drop - whether they'll allow
that to influence their decision to allow us better than WTO trade,
we'll have to see.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:10:50 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Not to mention saying that it would be good to get the UK out of Schengen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

Oh dear. How sad. Nevermind.

Well, it's the sort of decisions those agreeing the terms of our leaving
are going to be facing, so yes tough on them, but still of interest to
us ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 11:18:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Apple have biut prices up on teh app store by 25% for the UK
but as I havent; brought an app surely it will only cost those buying rather than the whole country. You'll notice that they say it;s due to BREXIT but this doesn't explain why they put the cost up by 33% in india and 30% in Turkey is this all because of BREXIT too ?

Could you explain this because I can't but that's what we're told.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...llowing-brexit

So every price rise from now until teh end of time will be due to BREXIT I guess the house price riss over the last decade are due to BREXIT too.

I recon Trump being inaugrated tomorrow is due to BREXIT too. ;-)

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 11:18:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in
increased import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we
leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Apple have biut prices up on teh app store by 25% for the UK but as I
havent; brought an app surely it will only cost those buying rather than
the whole country. You'll notice that they say it;s due to BREXIT but
this doesn't explain why they put the cost up by 33% in india and 30% in
Turkey is this all because of BREXIT too ?

You've missed a step. The rise in Apple's prices is becasue of the fall in
the value of sterling. This appears to be because of Brexit. For India &
Turkey, the rise is due to the fall in their currencies against the dollar.
No Brexit connection.

You might not by Apple's products, but you will probably buy other goods
made or grown abroad. These are also creeping (or jumping) up in price.

Could you explain this because I can't but that's what we're told.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...llowing-brexit

So every price rise from now until teh end of time will be due to BREXIT
I guess the house price riss over the last decade are due to BREXIT too.

Since nearly all the bricks used in UK housebuilding come from The
Netherlands that might be true.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

Well they are going to get change, they may well regret it though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 11:57, pamela wrote:
On 11:05 19 Jan 2017, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual
nationality so they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

Lucky me, I think I may qualify for dual nationality and a
passport from an EU member state. I won't pass that up if I can
get it. It may be very useful to leave this sinking ship behind in
a few years.

What could better symbolise Britain's exaggerated pride in it's
own shoddiness than the old blue passport? Oversized, creasable,
with shabby paper behind windows, prone to letters rubbing off,
and all that. Yet many retain a strange proud hypnotic attachment
to it. I wonder if Brexiteers will turn back the clock and restore
it? I don't mind the colour but the rest of it is so ugh!

Well there will need to be new passports issued at some time.
If the EU or other countries refuse to accept an EU passport from the UK
as no longer being valid it will have to be before anyone can travel
abroad so there could be a mass application for passports and it could
take a while to process them.
I expect everyone will have to *pay* for a new passport soon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:

I heard minigod Nige say that the dues we'd receive on EU imports to
the UK would be greater than the dues we'd pay on our exports to the
EU. Whether the Delors analysis takes that into account, I didn't go
looking.

It does mention that if we end up with WTO trade, the dues the EU would
receive from UK trade could halve their "brexit gap" but would eventually
see individual EU states income drop - whether they'll allow that to
influence their decision to allow us better than WTO trade, we'll have to
see.

The point is that countries look at WTO tariffs as if they are inter-country
governmental payments

when they are not

they are payments by consumers (who buy the end products with the tariffs
added)

So instead of HMG (from UK taxes) giving the EU countries 20 Billion (or
whatever the figures is), EU consumers will give their own governments an
extra 20 Billion in tariff payments (aka local taxes)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how this 18%
fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the pound
crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:10:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course. Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967, and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years. But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

when a country has a negative balance of payments - devaluation is NOT a
good thing. Balance of payments tends to get worse. If we are douing so
well why is the pound only half its international value since Harold
Wilson's day. According to those who know the stoc=k markets the FTSE has
risen because many of the big companies receive most of their profits from
abroad.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 13:28, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

[...]

We don't have EU passports Den they are all issued by the member state.
The only change I expect is removing the "European Union" bit at the
top of the front cover and possibly changing the colour but I don't
suppose many people will give a monkey's.

as no longer being valid it will have to be before anyone can travel
abroad so there could be a mass application for passports and it could
take a while to process them.

Why would it no longer be valid? A passport is whatever the issuing
authority says it is.

Rubbish.
The country of entry has the say on what's valid not the issuing country.
Why do you think you need a visa as well as a passport to get into some
countries?

What if the country of entry says "well its says you are a citizen of
the EU but you aren't so go home"? What's the UK going to do as issuing
country?

I expect everyone will have to *pay* for a new passport soon.

We already pay for new passports.

When they expire?
Are they all going to expire on brexit?

Passports are becoming more and more similar anyway so that all
countries can machine-process them if they want to.

So?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles posted
wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course. Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967, and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years. But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

when a country has a negative balance of payments - devaluation is NOT a
good thing. Balance of payments tends to get worse.

In fact it's *exactly* the other way around. If you have a BoP deficit,
the a devaluation makes your exports cheaper (in $) and imports dearer
in £. This makes people in Britain import less and export more, so the
deficit is reduced.

If we are douing so
well why is the pound only half its international value since Harold
Wilson's day.

Because in those long-ago days, sterling's value was boosted by its
traditional role as a reserve currency. Once that came to an end, its
value plummeted to a level determined purely by trade volumes and price
levels.

--
Jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

--
*Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

They have already cut tax for the poor.
Such as yourself I imagine since you're always whinging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in
increased import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after
we leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Ah - right. You don't personally contribute to the EU budget. I forgot.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course.

Depends what they're exporting. If that contains a significant amount of
costs from imported bits like say energy, it's going to cost more to make.

Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967,

Nice to think Harold Wilson's economic strategy worth praising.

and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years.

Many of the companies quoted in the FTSE don't get all their income from
sterling. If they earn in, say, dollars, rather obviously the company
value in sterling goes up.

But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

I'd rather say realistic. I'll leave the head in the sand optimism to the
BREXITEERS.

BTW, if UK business is your god, you might consider why the vast majority
didn't want to leave the EU.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:20:08 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

But HW devalued _because_ of the balance of payments deficit, considered
unsustainable at the time (although small potatoes by today's standards).
Did he do the wrong thing? Did Labour make a mess of the economy before
devaluation, or was the devaluation bound to make a mess of the economy,
by your argument?

At the time, and it was about 50 years ago, there was a still a major
manufacturing industry in this country ands we could probably get away with
buying less from abroad and "Buying British". Now, just about everything
we buy is made in China or elsewhere and we haven't the chance of "buying
british". So we just make the balance of payments worse.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how this 18%
fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the pound
crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value of the
pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with banks
all around the world crashing.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 13:07:48 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

Well they are going to get change, they may well regret it though.

Yep they might regret not being able to cheap ****y polish lager or even stella. Last year I was with a northern female friend and we passed a group of 4 lads of about 18-22 years old drinking cans of that crap larger that starts with ZyX or similar , we had 6 bottles of ale, so she went over to them and said try some decent beer, don't drink that it's crap chemical **** and handed them a bottle of spitfire ale.
My prefenrce is abbot ale, london pride or old peculier.
But I'll expect each of the above to double in price because of BREXIT should I maybe polish lager will come down in price as the pound drops against the dollar and Euro .
There's few 'forign' drinks I like in pubs staropramen but at £5.40 a pint and poured into a plastic 'glass' my limit was one for the night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 15:49:25 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in
increased import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after
we leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Ah - right. You don't personally contribute to the EU budget. I forgot.

Why would I be contributing after we leave the EU ? I can understand now why I have to contribute to the EU as we are part of it.

Wouldn;t suprie me though if the EU still isnisted we pay for things the EU won't be supplying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 16:00:46 UTC, charles wrote:
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:20:08 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yep same goes with prostitition did you see the ross kemp thing on teh other night importing prostitutes who really want to come, essex girls give it away free donlt they so why havenl;t we got our own cheap proses.
Maybe it;s good for the EU and the UK but it;s another example of British workers being priced out of the market. ;-)

so what is the solution here ?
Bring back slavery ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 16:09:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tim... wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how this 18%
fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the pound
crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value of the
pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with banks
all around the world crashing.

I thought that sort of thing only happened with BREXIT.
Maybe it;s an illustion then and not cause by BREXIT but merchant investors lokoing to make a killiong because tey want to buy up the UK cheaply so are devaluoing the pound from afar. Not that I;'m suspicious that qatar and china have brought the national grid no fiddling there I can assure you. ;-o
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how
this 18% fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the
pound crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value of
the pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with
banks all around the world crashing.

I thought that sort of thing only happened with BREXIT. Maybe it;s an
illustion then and not cause by BREXIT but merchant investors lokoing to
make a killiong because tey want to buy up the UK cheaply so are
devaluoing the pound from afar. Not that I;'m suspicious that qatar and
china have brought the national grid no fiddling there I can assure you.
;-o

may I suggest you use a spellcheck on your posts.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 19 January 2017 16:35:52 UTC, charles wrote:
wrote:
[...]

you may suggest anything you like.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Passports are becoming more and more similar anyway so that all
countries can machine-process them if they want to.

So?

So any twaddle to the effect that we might go back to the old blue
cardboard and paste jobs of yesteryear is just that: twaddle.

Given how much St Nige went on and on about going back to that nice blue
passport, good to know you think he was talking twaddle. But of course
many of us already knew that.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I thought that sort of thing only happened with BREXIT. Maybe it;s an
illustion then and not cause by BREXIT but merchant investors lokoing
to make a killiong because tey want to buy up the UK cheaply so are
devaluoing the pound from afar. Not that I;'m suspicious that qatar
and china have brought the national grid no fiddling there I can
assure you. ;-o

may I suggest you use a spellcheck on your posts.

Mr Dave loves Apple products. You probably don't want their spelling
either. ;-)

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

how kind

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I thought that sort of thing only happened with BREXIT. Maybe it;s an
illustion then and not cause by BREXIT but merchant investors lokoing
to make a killiong because tey want to buy up the UK cheaply so are
devaluoing the pound from afar. Not that I;'m suspicious that qatar
and china have brought the national grid no fiddling there I can
assure you. ;-o

may I suggest you use a spellcheck on your posts.

Mr Dave loves Apple products. You probably don't want their spelling
either. ;-)

it's probably 'mercan - but that would be a bit easier to understand

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England