Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [EU] budget implications

On 19/01/17 12:41, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 11:18:05 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in
increased import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we
leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Apple have biut prices up on teh app store by 25% for the UK but as I
havent; brought an app surely it will only cost those buying rather than
the whole country. You'll notice that they say it;s due to BREXIT but
this doesn't explain why they put the cost up by 33% in india and 30% in
Turkey is this all because of BREXIT too ?

You've missed a step. The rise in Apple's prices is becasue of the fall in
the value of sterling. This appears to be because of Brexit. For India &
Turkey, the rise is due to the fall in their currencies against the dollar.
No Brexit connection.

You might not by Apple's products, but you will probably buy other goods
made or grown abroad. These are also creeping (or jumping) up in price.

Could you explain this because I can't but that's what we're told.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...llowing-brexit

So every price rise from now until teh end of time will be due to BREXIT
I guess the house price riss over the last decade are due to BREXIT too.

Since nearly all the bricks used in UK housebuilding come from The
Netherlands that might be true.

Do you really think so0?

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 16:16, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 15:49:25 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in
increased import costs than any net saving in EU contributions
after we leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Ah - right. You don't personally contribute to the EU budget. I
forgot.

Why would I be contributing after we leave the EU ? I can understand
now why I have to contribute to the EU as we are part of it.

contracts, like ending your mobile contract early, you still have to
pay, sometimes as a lump sum.

Wouldn;t suprie me though if the EU still isnisted we pay for things
the EU won't be supplying.

if its a contract then you pay or suffer the consequences.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
b.com...

In article ,
tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

Well they are going to get change, they may well regret it though.

You emigrating? If not, you're getting the same change so suck it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

yes, just look at the shrink wrapped packs of bricks on building sites.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message ...

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 16:35:52 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 16:09:36 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , tim...
wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about
how this 18% fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when
the pound crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value
of the pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then
with banks all around the world crashing.

I thought that sort of thing only happened with BREXIT. Maybe it;s an
illustion then and not cause by BREXIT but merchant investors lokoing
to make a killiong because tey want to buy up the UK cheaply so are
devaluoing the pound from afar. Not that I;'m suspicious that qatar
and china have brought the national grid no fiddling there I can
assure you. ;-o

may I suggest you use a spellcheck on your posts.

you may suggest anything you like.

how kind

He must have heeded your advice as his reply had no spelling errors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how this
18%
fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the pound
crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value of the
pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with banks
all around the world crashing.

Oh I'm sure that the fall in value was reported

what wasn't reported was the constant "everything going up because of it"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how
this 18%
fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the
pound
crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value of the
pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with banks
all around the world crashing.

Oh I'm sure that the fall in value was reported

what wasn't reported was the constant "everything going up because of it"

tim

In those days we probably didn't import as much so the price rise would
have been less for most people.
Now just about all the affordable electronics and stuff is going to go
up if the pound goes down. This is also true of a lot of food stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote
Andy Burns wrote

A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean
for the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

the EU doesn't understand the term "cutting spending"

that option has no chance

The money still has to come from somewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
tim... wrote
Andy Burns wrote

A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean
for the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

the EU doesn't understand the term "cutting spending"

that option has no chance

I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

Not even possible and there will be no such divorce payments anyway.

Not even legally possible to have any divorce payments.
There is no provision for anything like that in anything
Britain has signed up to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 20:44, Tim Streater wrote:

tim... wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how
this 18% fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the
pound crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value
of the
pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with banks
all around the world crashing.

Oh I'm sure that the fall in value was reported

what wasn't reported was the constant "everything going up because of
it"

In those days we probably didn't import as much so the price rise
would have been less for most people.

What, back in 2008 you mean?

Opps, not Harold Wilson then.

The drop in 2008 didn't last long enough to have much effect did it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 18:03, Tim Streater wrote:

So what contract would that be then?

Anything we have agreed to with anyone else.

If we choose to renege on our commitments then it will seriously affect
any future agreements with anyone else including the EU.

Just like a bankruptcy would with you.

Brexiteers that think there is a clean exit must be in lala land.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 11:10:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course. Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967, and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years. But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

I've been wondering about that. I don't see much of a surge in
manufacturing or other employment opportunities except perhaps care for
the elderly. Ting! Is that the answer? Employment is buoyant because all
us bulge babies are retired and our jobs are being done by others plus
we need people to look after us:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

London brick company.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course. Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967,

It called quantitative easing these days

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ibstock.com/

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pamela wrote
Brian-Gaff wrote

Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual
nationality so they can be protected from any barriers.

Lucky me, I think I may qualify for dual nationality and a passport
from an EU member state. I won't pass that up if I can get it. It
may be very useful to leave this sinking ship behind in a few years.

Bet you will find that Britain floats fine outside the EU
and that it will be most of the countrys that stay inside
the EU where it isnt much of a place to be in the future.

And that places like Spain will continue to be happy for you
to show up there with a British passport if you want to too.

What could better symbolise Britain's exaggerated pride in it's
own shoddiness than the old blue passport? Oversized, creasable,
with shabby paper behind windows, prone to letters rubbing off,
and all that. Yet many retain a strange proud hypnotic attachment
to it. I wonder if Brexiteers will turn back the clock and restore it?

Unlikely any BRexiters will ever get any say on that, remoaner.

I don't mind the colour but the rest of it is so ugh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

Well they are going to get change,

Yes, but that is just as true of remaining.

they may well regret it though.

Yes, but that is just as true of remaining.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 22:20, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

On 19/01/2017 18:03, Tim Streater wrote:

So what contract would that be then?

Anything we have agreed to with anyone else.

If we choose to renege on our commitments then it will seriously
affect any future agreements with anyone else including the EU.

Just like a bankruptcy would with you.

Brexiteers that think there is a clean exit must be in lala land.

What we have agreed to is covered by the treaties. Once we leave, the
treaties cease to apply - it says so in clause 50.

So don't trade with the UK as you won't get anything they agree to.
Brilliant brixitism there.
Now in the real world..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2017 15:33, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

On 19/01/2017 13:28, Tim Streater wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:

as no longer being valid it will have to be before anyone can travel
abroad so there could be a mass application for passports and it could
take a while to process them.

Why would it no longer be valid? A passport is whatever the issuing
authority says it is.

Rubbish.
The country of entry has the say on what's valid not the issuing country.
Why do you think you need a visa as well as a passport to get into
some countries?

The visa may be needed but so is the passport, which also has to be
valid as issued by the issuing country, not the country of entry. Or do
you think that you can get a visa added to an expired passport?

I used to have a USA visa in my expired passport and it was still valid
for multiple entry, indefinite stay.
It remained valid until they decided to pull all the current visas
because of terrorism.

Or that
you can get a visa stamped onto some scrap of paper and they'll let you
in on the basis of that?

Not all visas are put into your passport.

You need the passport to get back.
They didn't check it on going to France from the UK but they did check
it on the way back.
Something to do with the fact we control out borders and not the EU.

The french check more of them now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent
agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of
the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

Well they are going to get change,

Yes, but that is just as true of remaining.

they may well regret it though.

Yes, but that is just as true of remaining.

If we had remained they would have regretted losing, now they will
regret winning the same as the rest of us.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris Hogg wrote:

I heard minigod Nige say that the dues we'd receive on EU imports to
the UK would be greater than the dues we'd pay on our exports to the
EU. Whether the Delors analysis takes that into account, I didn't go
looking.

It does mention that if we end up with WTO trade, the dues the EU would
receive from UK trade could halve their "brexit gap" but would eventually
see individual EU states income drop - whether they'll allow that to
influence their decision to allow us better than WTO trade, we'll have to
see.

The point is that countries look at WTO tariffs as if they are
inter-country governmental payments

when they are not

they are payments by consumers (who buy the end products with the tariffs
added)

So instead of HMG (from UK taxes) giving the EU countries 20 Billion (or
whatever the figures is), EU consumers will give their own governments an
extra 20 Billion in tariff payments (aka local taxes)

Or not in the case of stuff imported into the EU which
has a tariff applied currently which doesn’t have to
have a tariff applied when Britain is outside the EU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course. Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967, and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years. But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

when a country has a negative balance of payments - devaluation
is NOT a good thing. Balance of payments tends to get worse.

Even more pig ignorant than you usually manage. Devaluation usually
improves the exports and that helps the balance of payments.

If we are douing so well

No if about it. That’s the reason so many from Poland, Romania
etc keep pouring into the country, because Britain is doing much
better than where they are coming from, and why so many are
trying to get from France to Britain illegally, because Britain is
doing rather better than almost anywhere else in the EU.

why is the pound only half its international
value since Harold Wilson's day.

Because currency relativitys are RELATIVE, by definition.

And there is no such thing as 'its international value' with a currency.

According to those who know the stoc=k markets the
FTSE has risen because many of the big companies
receive most of their profits from abroad.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

web.com...
dennis@home wrote:

On 19/01/2017 11:57, pamela wrote:
On 11:05 19 Jan 2017, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Rumour has it that a number of UK scientists are after dual
nationality so they can be protected from any barriers.
Brian

Lucky me, I think I may qualify for dual nationality and a
passport from an EU member state. I won't pass that up if I can
get it. It may be very useful to leave this sinking ship behind in
a few years.

What could better symbolise Britain's exaggerated pride in it's
own shoddiness than the old blue passport? Oversized, creasable,
with shabby paper behind windows, prone to letters rubbing off,
and all that. Yet many retain a strange proud hypnotic attachment
to it. I wonder if Brexiteers will turn back the clock and restore
it? I don't mind the colour but the rest of it is so ugh!

Well there will need to be new passports issued at some time.
If the EU or other countries refuse to accept an EU passport from the UK

We don't have EU passports Den they are all issued by the member state.
The only change I expect is removing the "European Union" bit at the
top of the front cover and possibly changing the colour but I don't
suppose many people will give a monkey's.

as no longer being valid it will have to be before anyone can travel
abroad so there could be a mass application for passports and it could
take a while to process them.

Why would it no longer be valid? A passport is whatever the issuing
authority says it is.

Rubbish.

Fact.

The country of entry has the say on what's valid not the issuing country.

Not with passports they dont.

Why do you think you need a visa as well as a passport to get into some
countries?

Because that is what visas are about.

They are recorded in the passport, a separate matter
entirely to whether the passport itself is valid or not.

What if the country of entry says "well its says you are a citizen of the
EU

No country passport says that.

but you aren't so go home"?

They get no say on where the passport holder has to go, JUST
that the passport holder can not legally enter THAT COUNTRY.

What's the UK going to do as issuing country?

Realise that it is still a valid passport.

I expect everyone will have to *pay* for a new passport soon.

We already pay for new passports.

When they expire?

Or when they are lost.

Are they all going to expire on brexit?

Nope, because all they say is that the passport holder is a UK citizen.

Even if the passport does have some reference to the EU
on it, even the stupidest paper shuffler at the border will
know that Britain has left the EU when that has happened.

Passports are becoming more and more similar anyway so that all countries
can machine-process them if they want to.

So?

So they will be changed for that reason.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in increased
import costs than any net saving in EU contributions after we leave.

Conveniently ignoring the benefit to exporters, of course.

Depends what they're exporting. If that contains a significant amount of
costs from imported bits like say energy, it's going to cost more to make.

Hardly anything that the UK exports does.

Devaluation
is generally good for a country; why else did Harold Wilson devalue
the pound by 14% in 1967,

Nice to think Harold Wilson's economic strategy worth praising.

and why else is the FTSE at record highs
ATM, why else is unemployment at its lowest value for 11 years.

Many of the companies quoted in the FTSE don't get all their income from
sterling. If they earn in, say, dollars, rather obviously the company
value in sterling goes up.

But
you always do do your best to present a miserable view, don't you.

I'd rather say realistic. I'll leave the head in the sand optimism to the
BREXITEERS.

BTW, if UK business is your god, you might consider why the vast majority
didn't want to leave the EU.

You don’t know that.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"grjw" wrote in message
Do **** off Wod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
what I don't understand about all these "horror" stories about how this
18%
fall in the pound is affecting prices

is why we didn't see the same stories in the press in 2008 when the
pound
crashed a horrendous 40% (1.45-1.02)

yes 40% - more than twice the fall this time

yet not a squeak there was

Really? I don't know what meja you use,but any change in the value of the
pound was and is covered extensively. Even more so back then with banks
all around the world crashing.

I thought that sort of thing only happened with BREXIT.
Maybe it;s an illustion then and not cause by BREXIT but merchant
investors lokoing to make a killiong because tey want to buy up
the UK cheaply so are devaluoing the pound from afar.

Not possible for them to do that.

Not that I;'m suspicious that qatar and china have brought
the national grid no fiddling there I can assure you. ;-o

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Do **** off Wod.
How long before your termination?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do **** off Wod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 19/01/2017 16:16, whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 19 January 2017 15:49:25 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,
whisky-dave wrote:
The fall in the value of the pound has already cost us more in
increased import costs than any net saving in EU contributions
after we leave.

What do you mean by we ?

Ah - right. You don't personally contribute to the EU budget. I
forgot.

Why would I be contributing after we leave the EU ? I can understand
now why I have to contribute to the EU as we are part of it.

contracts,

No such animal with the EU.

like ending your mobile contract early,

Nothing like, in fact.

you still have to pay,

Not with the EU when a country leaves.

sometimes as a lump sum.

Not with the EU when a country leaves.

Have fun listing the part of the Treaty of Lisbon
that says anything even remotely like that.

Wouldn;t suprie me though if the EU still isnisted we pay for things the
EU won't be supplying.

if its a contract

It isnt.

then you pay or suffer the consequences.

So what would they be, the EU will send in the tanks eh ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Tim Streater wrote

So what contract would that be then?

Anything we have agreed to with anyone else.

Britain has never agreed to continue to
pay the EU anything after it has left the EU.

If we choose to renege on our commitments

There is no such commitment to be reneged on.

then it will seriously affect any future agreements
with anyone else including the EU.

Even sillier and more flagrantly dishonest than you usually manage.

Just like a bankruptcy would with you.

Nothing even remotely like personal bankruptcy in fact.

Brexiteers that think there is a clean exit must be in lala land.

More flagrant dishonesty. What was being discussed was the
flagrantly dishonest claim by you that there is some contract
that requires Britain to continue to send billions to the EU
once it has left the EU. There is no such contract, liar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do **** off Wod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do **** off Wod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

[...]

Nope, if you have lost it there are other
ways to prove that you are a UK citizen,
like checking that you were issued with one.

They didn't check it on going to France from the UK but they did check it
on the way back.

But would have still let you come home even
if you had lost it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
I think someone needs to bill the brexiteers for any such divorce
payments.

they are

it's called taxation

But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich. And
are threatening to make us a tax haven if we can't get a decent
agreement
with the EU after leaving.

All of which is *really* going to help those poor in the rust belt of
the
UK who voted out to get 'change'.

Well they are going to get change,

Yes, but that is just as true of remaining.

they may well regret it though.

Yes, but that is just as true of remaining.

If we had remained they would have regretted losing,

Just like you regret losing.

now they will regret winning the same as the rest of us.

Bet they don’t.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do **** off Wod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Do **** off Wod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You know it would be great if countries and the eu had to account for every
bit of the budget collected and spent in detail so we could allsee where the
waste occurred . In todays electronic society, it surly cannot be that hard
to do. revenue streams in, admin costs and project spending streams and how
much was used.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
A report from the Jacques Delors Institute into what Brexit might mean for
the EU's budget ...

http://www.institutdelors.eu/media/brexiteubudget-haasrubio-jdi-jdib-jan17.pdf?pdf=ok

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

dennis@home wrote:

I used to have a USA visa in my expired passport and it was still valid
for multiple entry, indefinite stay.

You mean they were letting you in with an expired passport containing
an unexpired visa?

Presume you carry the expired passport with the visa *and* a replacement
passport.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed posted
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich.

More remoaner lies. It has in fact reduced taxation for the lowest
income taxpayers too with the increase in the income tax free
threshold.

Also, taxes have increased very significantly for the rich, through the
medium of new capital taxes such as ATED and the second-home stamp duty
surcharge, CGT on foreign properties, and the elimination of various tax
reliefs on property letting. They are about to increase even more
sharply for non-doms in April.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
Rod Speed posted
Dave Plowman (News) wrote
But this government is committed to reduce taxation - for the rich.

More remoaner lies. It has in fact reduced taxation for the lowest
income taxpayers too with the increase in the income tax free
threshold.

Also, taxes have increased very significantly for the rich, through the
medium of new capital taxes such as ATED and the second-home stamp duty
surcharge, CGT on foreign properties, and the elimination of various tax
reliefs on property letting. They are about to increase even more
sharply for non-doms in April.

I'd guess you've not kept up with the fact that the spread of incomes has
increased dramatically over the past few decades. In other words, the
differential between the richest and poorest has increased.

But of course it's the poor's fault for being poor.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up