BigWallop

Default Overflow on new bath leaking

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Hi,

thought I'd post my problem whilst I experimented - if someone has

already
solved this then it could save me some time!

snip
Then again I could just reverse the overflow pipe top to bottom.
Although the ends are identical as far as I can tell this seems to have
solved the problem.
A couple of full bath tests then on to greater things.

Why are simple things so endlessly complicated?

Then again....
...it now leaks from full to 60% full then stops as the bath empties
further - so a water pressure thing.
Heigh ho for the silicone sealant!

Are you sure you're pushing the corrugated pipe far enough into the spigot
ports at each end ? Or am I confused as to which bits are leaking ? :-))

Silicone sealant needs a certain time to skin over and create a good seal,
so are you leaving enough time between pressing the fittings into place and
actually running water over them ?

My advice is for you to now sit back, relax, and take a look at the job from
a bit further away. You're trying to hard to solve one problem and it may
be that something else is causing it. Go put the kettle on and make
yourself a cuppa' tea. Then go sit in the loo drinking it and looking at
what you need to do. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

David W.E. Roberts

"BigWallop" wrote in message

snip
Then again....
...it now leaks from full to 60% full then stops as the bath empties
further - so a water pressure thing.
Heigh ho for the silicone sealant!

Are you sure you're pushing the corrugated pipe far enough into the spigot
ports at each end ? Or am I confused as to which bits are leaking ? :-))

Silicone sealant needs a certain time to skin over and create a good seal,
so are you leaving enough time between pressing the fittings into place

and
actually running water over them ?

snip

The corrugated pipes have smooth ends and fit outside the pipe out of the
back of the overflow fitting and the pipe out of the collar on the waste.

They are pushed on as far as they will go.

I was delaying trying the silicone sealant because of the time you have to
wait until it works (or not).

Have had a contemplate and I will seal it up then leave it overnight.

I would have preferred a flexible end which would stretch over the spigot,
or a tapered end which would push inside the spigot.
All I have is thin plastic which pushes over a ridge on the outside of the
spigot but does not seal against the pressure of a full bath.

Not a problem usually as we take showers, and this bath is a budget shower
tray, but I don't want to leave problems for visiting bath freaks or future
owners.

In the bodge world the leakage would not be significant, and would dry
before the next bath (unless it got worse) but I know it is there so I have
to fix it :-)

Cheers
Dave R

Chris Hodges

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
PTFE tape - but not sure if this will work on a push fit

Probably not

Silicone sealant - but not sure if this will bond to the shiny plastic
enough to prevent water under pressure leaking out.

On a similar setup (B+Q's equivalent) I found that silicone sealant
bonded very nicely to the surface of the bath (it sticks well to shiny
stuff, but requires a push or smoothing on IYSWIM). It cured most of
the problems you're talking about.

--
Chris
-----

David W.E. Roberts

"Chris Hodges" wrote in message
David W.E. Roberts wrote:
PTFE tape - but not sure if this will work on a push fit

Probably not

Silicone sealant - but not sure if this will bond to the shiny plastic
enough to prevent water under pressure leaking out.

On a similar setup (B+Q's equivalent) I found that silicone sealant
bonded very nicely to the surface of the bath (it sticks well to shiny
stuff, but requires a push or smoothing on IYSWIM). It cured most of
the problems you're talking about.

Thanks to all respondents.

I have adopted the "lets see you leak past that, you Ba**ard" approach with
loads of silicone sealant.
It probably will.

Cheers
Dave R

BigWallop

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
PTFE tape - but not sure if this will work on a push fit

Probably not

Silicone sealant - but not sure if this will bond to the shiny plastic
enough to prevent water under pressure leaking out.

On a similar setup (B+Q's equivalent) I found that silicone sealant
bonded very nicely to the surface of the bath (it sticks well to shiny
stuff, but requires a push or smoothing on IYSWIM). It cured most of
the problems you're talking about.

Thanks to all respondents.

I have adopted the "lets see you leak past that, you Ba**ard" approach

with
loads of silicone sealant.
It probably will.

Cheers
Dave R

ROFL !!! That point has to come when you get a niggling leak. :-))

The next time (if there is a next time) get hold of some "Gutter Seal". It
comes in a tube like the silicone and is a thick black tarry mix that, when
cured, looks and feels like a rubber washer. A smear of this stuff around
the flanges of the plastic fittings makes a made to measure rubber washer
that moulds itself into any nooks and crannies.

I was going to mention it last night, but thought you'd only shout and
scream at me for giving you more to worry about. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com