Stephen Jones

Default Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof)

I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?
Thanks

Steve Jones
Christian McArdle

However I have now looked in the roof attic to find that the
roofing felt has been puntured where he climbed, presumably
by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of repairing this
from inside the roof ?

Dunno, but my current roof doesn't even have sarking, and my previous house
had it hanging down in sheets where it had been ripped by some unknown
cause. If I could be bothered to fix a few punctures, I'd probably use duct
tape. Is it the proper stuff, I'd have thought that it was quite difficult
to rip the stuff with your toes. Perhaps flat roofing felt has been used?

Christian.

Jerry Built

Stephen Jones wrote:
I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

Yes. Go to Jewsons and buy 10m of slater's felt, to match whatever
you have on your roof. Buy a tin of Rubberoid adhesive, too. Cut
lengths of felt fropm the roll to fit between the rafters where
the sarking is damaged. Glue them on with the adhesive (extremely
black sticky gunk that you can get off your skin with paraffin or
similar). The bottom of the section you are sticking on should be
tucked in above the section below, with a good overlap, so that
water doesn't run in. Hold the stuck on bit up with battens 'till
the adhesive has set.

J.B.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stephen Jones wrote:
I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

I'd take the aerial 'fitter' to a small claims court and get the whole
roof repaired properly.

It used to be said the only two qualifications most aerial riggers had
were the ability to drive a van and climb a ladder. Perhaps they've left
out the roof ladder now.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Harry Bloomfield

On 02/02/2004 Stephen Jones a wrote :
have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

It all sounds a bit unlikely that an arial fitter would be able to do
this simply by climbing on the roof. He would need to make a determined
effort to lift the tiles, in order to puncture the felt.However if you
are certain he has, then get him to pay for the repairs.

There is no effective way to make a proper job, without taking the
tiles off first, but you may be able to stick it with the likes of duct
tape or similar.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Capitol

Get another piece of felt, and stick it in position( from inside) over the
splits with bituminous lap cement. You'll have to support it for a couple of
days whilst the solvents dry out, but it will then work for the next 10
years at least.
Regards
Capitol

ng_abuse-subscribe

Harry Bloomfield retched Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof)
onto my recliner:

On 02/02/2004 Stephen Jones a wrote :
have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

It all sounds a bit unlikely that an arial fitter would be able to do
this simply by climbing on the roof. He would need to make a determined
effort to lift the tiles, in order to puncture the felt.However if you
are certain he has, then get him to pay for the repairs.

There is no effective way to make a proper job, without taking the
tiles off first, but you may be able to stick it with the likes of duct
tape or similar.

Duct tape indeed, COWBOY!

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

The Natural Philosopher

Stephen Jones wrote:

I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?
Thanks

Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

Steve Jones

Dave Plowman

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

Whilst that may be one factor, it also stops any driven rain reaching the
rafters. And given it's a relatively new idea, how did they stop tiles
blowing off in the old days?

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

Whilst that may be one factor, it also stops any driven rain reaching the
rafters. And given it's a relatively new idea, how did they stop tiles
blowing off in the old days?

They used more nails. And they blew off :-)

Harry Bloomfield

On 02/02/2004 The Natural Philosopher a wrote :
Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing slates/tiles
off...

That may be one reason, but I think another reason was so that roofs
could be made lighter/cheaper, with less overlap needed if there was a
layer of felt underneath.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

And given it's a relatively new idea, how did they stop
tiles blowing off in the old days?

Nails...... lots of them :-P

Well the artificial slates on my roof have a fixing at the front end also
- as well as being as tight fitting as any real slate. And underfelt too.

The old tiled roof seemed only to have the tiles fixed down every so often
- and no felt. And it leaked like a sieve with the wind in the wrong
direction. ;-)

--
*I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

On 02/02/2004 The Natural Philosopher a wrote :

Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

That may be one reason, but I think another reason was so that roofs
could be made lighter/cheaper, with less overlap needed if there was a
layer of felt underneath.

I don't think so.

My roof with reasonable Tyvek overlap., leaked i heavy rain before
tiloing through the odd hole.

After tiling, even in huge winds, there is no leak. Thats whey you have
a three tile overlap - to stop the wind and driving rain.

The felt helps, not because it is waterproof, but because it is
windproof - it slows the draughts down so they can't carry the water up
the tiles. This also helps stop the negative pressure effects - where
vaccum in a strong gust sucks the tiles off.

Harry Bloomfield

The Natural Philosopher wrote on Tuesday (03/02/2004) :
That may be one reason, but I think another reason was so that roofs could
be made lighter/cheaper, with less overlap needed if there was a layer of
felt underneath.

I don't think so.

My roof with reasonable Tyvek overlap., leaked i heavy rain before tiloing
through the odd hole.

After tiling, even in huge winds, there is no leak. Thats whey you have a
three tile overlap - to stop the wind and driving rain.

Our roof has a three tile overlap at any place you care to look, but we
have no underfelt. We can see the under sides of the tiles from the
loft. I was rather puzzled by the fact that the exposed inside tile
hedges had been flaunched with a very crumbly mix of sand and cement,
much of which has fallen away over the years.

We are located in a very exposed hill top location and despite the lack
of any under felt, I have never known water to be driven in by the
wind, though it is very draughty up there. Each tile (at a guess) is
flat and about 12- 14" long.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

I am everyone on usenet!

**** OFF NETKKKOP!

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by I am
everyone on usenet!, and I thusly replied:

[...]

A Fine Post.

--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874

"A ******* shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his
tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord."
- Deuteronomy 23:2
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Our 1950s semi in Barnet was like that. We never had rain in, but we did
get 2" of snow in there, once. (

Older houses in the NE of Scotland (where I'm from) have T&G under the
slates to stop this happening.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
I am everyone on usenet!

Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip retched Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt
(tiled roof) onto my recliner:

[...]

Thanks, I just carved it.

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

John Laird

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:21:20 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Our 1950s semi in Barnet was like that. We never had rain in, but we did
get 2" of snow in there, once. (

Older houses in the NE of Scotland (where I'm from) have T&G under the
slates to stop this happening.

I can vouch for at least one modern house in SW Scotland in this regard. I
believe it is generally termed "sarking".

--
Pardon our dust... nonsense under construction.

Mail john rather than nospam...

S Viemeister

John Laird wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:21:20 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Our 1950s semi in Barnet was like that. We never had rain in, but we did
get 2" of snow in there, once. (

Older houses in the NE of Scotland (where I'm from) have T&G under the
slates to stop this happening.

I can vouch for at least one modern house in SW Scotland in this regard. I
believe it is generally termed "sarking".

My house was built about 18 years ago - northwest Scotland - and it has
'sarking'.

Christian McArdle

I can vouch for at least one modern house in SW Scotland in this regard.
believe it is generally termed "sarking".

My house was built about 18 years ago - northwest Scotland - and it has
'sarking'.

I was under the impression that it was called sarking whatever it was made
from. i.e. wood sarking or felt sarking.

Christian.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
I was under the impression that it was called sarking whatever it was
made from. i.e. wood sarking or felt sarking.

And it's a luvverly word...

--
*A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn