Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof)

Old February 2nd 04, 11:18 AM
Stephen Jones

Default Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof)

I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?
Thanks

Steve Jones
Old February 2nd 04, 11:33 AM
Christian McArdle

However I have now looked in the roof attic to find that the
roofing felt has been puntured where he climbed, presumably
by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of repairing this
from inside the roof ?

Dunno, but my current roof doesn't even have sarking, and my previous house
had it hanging down in sheets where it had been ripped by some unknown
cause. If I could be bothered to fix a few punctures, I'd probably use duct
tape. Is it the proper stuff, I'd have thought that it was quite difficult
to rip the stuff with your toes. Perhaps flat roofing felt has been used?

Christian.

Old February 2nd 04, 12:48 PM
Jerry Built

Stephen Jones wrote:
I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

Yes. Go to Jewsons and buy 10m of slater's felt, to match whatever
you have on your roof. Buy a tin of Rubberoid adhesive, too. Cut
lengths of felt fropm the roll to fit between the rafters where
the sarking is damaged. Glue them on with the adhesive (extremely
black sticky gunk that you can get off your skin with paraffin or
similar). The bottom of the section you are sticking on should be
tucked in above the section below, with a good overlap, so that
water doesn't run in. Hold the stuck on bit up with battens 'till
the adhesive has set.

J.B.
Old February 2nd 04, 01:42 PM
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stephen Jones wrote:
I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

I'd take the aerial 'fitter' to a small claims court and get the whole
roof repaired properly.

It used to be said the only two qualifications most aerial riggers had
were the ability to drive a van and climb a ladder. Perhaps they've left
out the roof ladder now.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old February 2nd 04, 03:21 PM
Harry Bloomfield

On 02/02/2004 Stephen Jones a wrote :
have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

It all sounds a bit unlikely that an arial fitter would be able to do
this simply by climbing on the roof. He would need to make a determined
effort to lift the tiles, in order to puncture the felt.However if you
are certain he has, then get him to pay for the repairs.

There is no effective way to make a proper job, without taking the
tiles off first, but you may be able to stick it with the likes of duct
tape or similar.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

Old February 2nd 04, 07:05 PM
Capitol

Get another piece of felt, and stick it in position( from inside) over the
splits with bituminous lap cement. You'll have to support it for a couple of
days whilst the solvents dry out, but it will then work for the next 10
years at least.
Regards
Capitol

Old February 2nd 04, 07:14 PM
ng_abuse-subscribe

Harry Bloomfield retched Repairing Holes in Roofing Felt (tiled roof)
onto my recliner:

On 02/02/2004 Stephen Jones a wrote :
have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?

It all sounds a bit unlikely that an arial fitter would be able to do
this simply by climbing on the roof. He would need to make a determined
effort to lift the tiles, in order to puncture the felt.However if you
are certain he has, then get him to pay for the repairs.

There is no effective way to make a proper job, without taking the
tiles off first, but you may be able to stick it with the likes of duct
tape or similar.

Duct tape indeed, COWBOY!

--

Phil K.

http://philkyle2003.reachme.at/

Old February 2nd 04, 07:38 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Stephen Jones wrote:

I have recently had a new tv aerial fitted and the guy climbed up the
roof by slipping out some roof tiles. However I have now looked in the
roof attic to find that the roofing felt has been puntured where he
climbed, presumably by the tips of his feet. Is there anyway of
repairing this from inside the roof ?
Thanks

Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

Steve Jones

Old February 2nd 04, 08:37 PM
Dave Plowman

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

Whilst that may be one factor, it also stops any driven rain reaching the
rafters. And given it's a relatively new idea, how did they stop tiles
blowing off in the old days?

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Old February 2nd 04, 11:22 PM
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Don't boher. it is only there to stop pressure build up blowing
slates/tiles off...

Whilst that may be one factor, it also stops any driven rain reaching the
rafters. And given it's a relatively new idea, how did they stop tiles
blowing off in the old days?

They used more nails. And they blew off :-)