MattP

Default Freud router v's Wickes

I read here previously that Wickes' own routers are Freud repackaged and
rebranded.

Could some wise person confirm or deny this?

If it is repackaged then I'm to Wickes for a 'freud'

John Rumm

MattP wrote:

I read here previously that Wickes' own routers are Freud repackaged and
rebranded.

Could some wise person confirm or deny this?

If it is repackaged then I'm to Wickes for a 'freud'

Their big 2Kw one certainly looks exactly like the Freud FT2000E. Same
shape, design, distinctive height adjuster & concertina style plastic
shrouds on the "legs" etc. I had a play with one in the local Wicks a
while ago - felt just like the real thing - solid plunge lock, and
absolutely no play or lateral movement of the body even with the plunge
lock off.

Only difference I could see was its grey and not black, and used to cost
more than the Freud (from Screwfix). If it can now be had for 120 then
it sounds like a bargain.

--
Cheers,

John.

mike

The instructionsone for the one that looks like this (but different
coloured) say it's made by Casals (who make Freud). But it was back
up to £150 today.

http://tinyurl.com/3xa5z

The one that looks like this is Kress:

http://tinyurl.com/2rrko

The one that looks like the Erbauer (different colours, different
voltage) is aparently from the Ningbo Zhongqiang Electric Tools Co :

http://tinyurl.com/2khtw

Dunno about the new 1020W model that's just appeared.

HTH.
mike

Voltage? Wattage.
John Rumm

mike wrote:

Voltage? Wattage.

What the big 2kw one?

2kw @ 240V (Wicks may do the 110V - not sure - you can certainly get a
110V Freud from Screwfix (I know because they sent me one by mistake
when I ordered the 240V ;-))

--
Cheers,

John.

mike

John Rumm wrote in message .. .
mike wrote:

Voltage? Wattage.

What the big 2kw one?

No, sorry. I was just correcting my earlier post where I meant meant
wattage but typed voltage!
John Rumm

MattP wrote:

So it sounds like it is a Freud with a Wickes badge, which must be a good
deal then? Right?

Well it is a nice router, and I still feel like I got a good enough deal
when I paid 165 for it from Screwfix - especially when you consider that
many of the equivalent quality 1/2" routers are 100 more expensive than
that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Rod Hewitt

"MattP" {add mattspersonal before @} wrote in
:

Went to Wickes and there are no more 2,000W routers anymore (boo!),
only the 1600W at £40.

Damn it!

I concur - couldn't find one myself. Apparently a new range is being
launched 'in a couple of weeks' - probably no bargains but I will be
interested to see what they are like.

Rod