BigWallop

Default Meter reader clocked me!

"Andrew Barnes" wrote in message
.. .
Was working on my new split load CU, had pulled out suppliers fuse having
broken the seal. Knock knock, meter reader at he door! Panic set in as I

hid
all signs of the seal and opened the door. Chappie comments on how busy I
looked, casually read the meter and was on his way!

I think most meter readings are done by an independent invoicing companies
now'a'days and not by anyone who understands electrical installations. They
would, more than likely, only look for signs of physical damage to the meter
itself.

geoff

In message , BigWallop
writes

"Andrew Barnes" wrote in message
. ..
Was working on my new split load CU, had pulled out suppliers fuse having
broken the seal. Knock knock, meter reader at he door! Panic set in as I

hid
all signs of the seal and opened the door. Chappie comments on how busy I
looked, casually read the meter and was on his way!

I think most meter readings are done by an independent invoicing companies
now'a'days and not by anyone who understands electrical installations. They
would, more than likely, only look for signs of physical damage to the meter
itself.

If that.

Their job is to read meters and I doubt they get any more for informing
the elec company other than a bit of extra paperwork to do.
--
geoff
Terry

Andrew Barnes wrote:

Was working on my new split load CU, had pulled out suppliers fuse having
broken the seal. Knock knock, meter reader at he door! Panic set in as I hid
all signs of the seal and opened the door. Chappie comments on how busy I
looked, casually read the meter and was on his way!

Our meters are outside on side of house. To work on/replace meter
sockets which tend to corrode after some 30+ years one finds out
approximately when, monthly, the meter is read; this would give
about a 20 day 'window of opportunity'!
Our supplier has offered a 'Read the meter yourself and phone it
in". Haven't tried it cos we are on a budget plan that averages
out monthly payments over the year.
Malcolm Stewart

Terry wrote in message
snip
Our meters are outside on side of house. To work on/replace meter
sockets which tend to corrode after some 30+ years one finds out
approximately when, monthly, the meter is read; this would give
about a 20 day 'window of opportunity'!
Our supplier has offered a 'Read the meter yourself and phone it
in". Haven't tried it cos we are on a budget plan that averages
out monthly payments over the year.

My last meter reading, on an external meter, was done by me in response to a guy
phoning me and asking me to do it. Can't remember whether it was gas or elec.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK