in2minds

Default generators

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket
(wishful thinking)

this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).

Les

Tony

"in2minds" wrote in message
is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket
(wishful thinking)

this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).

Well if you find out how to do this. Keep it quiet from the oil producers
cos it sounds like free energy :-)

Tony

Alistair Riddell

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, in2minds wrote:

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

Basically, no.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us
Sparks

"in2minds" wrote in message
is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket
(wishful thinking)

this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).

That is just like saying I have 1kg of flour, but the recipe needs two - how
can if make my 1kg into 2kg?

Short of buying a new generator, what you are trying to achieve is
impossible
If it were possible, then you could just buy a whole load of these "things"
you want and run the entire country off a 700w generator!

Nice thought though!

Sparks...

Grunff

in2minds wrote:
is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

How would you do that? What conceivable mechanism would create an
additional 700W out of thin air (or zero point fluctuations)? And if it
were possible, why would anyone ever buy/run a 5kW genny when all they
need is a 700W genny + magic device?

--
Grunff

Andy Hall

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:43:29 -0000, "in2minds"
wrote:

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket
(wishful thinking)

this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).

Les

No you can't get a litre out of a half litre pot.

It would be cheaper and easier to get a Kaercher machine with petrol
engine I suspect.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

"Sparks" wrote
| is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator
| from it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?
| That is just like saying I have 1kg of flour, but the recipe needs
| two - how can if make my 1kg into 2kg?

You follow the American recipe which is in cups and aerate the flour to
expand its volume (I doubt you'd double it, but probably about 10% gain
would be reasonable).

I draw the hon usenaut's attention to the American economy as evidence that
this works, honest.

Owain

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:43:29 +0000, in2minds wrote:

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

if so how ? preferably something I can plug into the 3 pin socket
(wishful thinking)

this is to run a small karcher jetwash (240v @ 1300w).

Have you actually tried using the washer with the inadeqaute genny?
You might just find that the combo works well enough for your needs.
OTHO if you haven't then it's a good way to find out if the genny can be
overloaded.

In my limited experience with SMALL gen sets if you over load them the
voltage drops a bit the machine slow a bit and the current goes up a
bit and they deliver not a lot more power than their rating.
However they can for instance boil water in a 1500W kettle.
How long they can do that before failing I dunno.

Many loads like the pressure washer are quite intermittent and may well
survive being part of an abuse system.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Dingley

wrote:

is it possible to double the power output of a petrol generator from
it's rated 240v @ 700w to 240v @ 1400w ?

No. 700W generators are tiny things and they're pretty fragile at the
best of times.

I'd be much happier trying to overload a 2kW genny with decent cooling
to the windings than in trying to even slightly overload one of those
sound-deadened suitcase generators with minimal airflow.

--
Do whales have krillfiles ?
in2minds

didn't think so, not without dropping the voltage anyway...

as it happens the generator runs the jetwash quite happily, tested it
this morning, all be it at a slightly reduced pressure.

thanks for the expected feedback (c;

Les