RJ

Default URGENT Leaking hot water cylinder (pressurised) HELP

Hi

My hot water cylinder is dripping, and to be honest, it looks pretty
dead - huge amounts of corrosion everywhere.

Sadly its not simple...

I've got a pressurised water system, and the cylinder is labelled
Polystel PS125 / 3 - with operating pressure of 3 bar. All the
pipework goes into the to of the cylinder through a metal cap that
looks like a beer bottle top. Its leaking from under there. The rust
is quite evident and obvious.

Photos of tank are at:-

http://www.ryanandmel.com/tank1.jpg and
http://www.ryanandmel.com/tank2.jpg

I have no idea if its direct or indirect (don't even know what this
means) - and as an avid DIY'er I know I can swap it for a like item.
However, I can find nothing at all on the web about this cylinder and
all the ones I can find have side entry pipes - which clearly isn't
what I'm looking for.

I've called 3 plumbers, and one can't quote for 3 weeks, one can't
speak to me till Monday and one isn't interested. Oh what a trade!
Any recommendations for plumbers in West Drayton/Uxbridge area
appreciated!

ANY HELP AT ALL is appreciated - this forum has been very helpful in
the past - so here's hoping!

Thanks!

RJ
The Natural Philosopher

RJ wrote:

[...]

Well, if you had to post three times, you are obviously despreate.

I have no good news for you.

Its obviosuly a mains pressure cylinder, and these are expensive to
replace and install and SHOULD be tested by qualified plumber.

First off, this is not going to be a quick fix. Talk to insurance
company and see if they will fnd whatever you need to live a decent life
whilst your house is effectively wihout hot water.

Secondly get a plumber in who can at least isolate the thing and still
leave you with central heating. That is not such a hard job.

Then take three deep breaths and get on the net to find out more about
the system you have, and what might replace it. Expect at least 4-6
weeks of no hot water though.

My deepest sympathies too.

Thanks!

RJ

IMM

"RJ" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Replace it with a heat bank. They operate at low pressures. Forget an
unvented cylinder.
http://www.heatweb.com
http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk (go to thermal stores)
http://www.albion-online.co.uk (the mainsflow)

---

RJ

How embaressing.

Sorry indeed! I only meant to post once - the google posting engine
kept failing - it was not meant to be posted 3 times. Hopefully I
don't look too stupid!

I'll read your thoughts. Only initial comment is entire top of the
tank is corroded and "flakey" as hell - as if its been leaking for
years. In fact its how it was when I moved in. So maybe its beyond
that.

I've jimmied up a nice gaffer tape and bic-biro contraption that
conveniently routes all the water to be collected in a container!

Ahem. Not a great solution - but does mean hot water and heating!

I don't mind replacing the whole thing - 15 years is a good life - but
can't find any equivalent models anywhere - and the local plumbers are
too busy.

Thanks again - I'll read and consider!

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
RJ wrote:

[...]

RJ

"IMM" wrote in message news:btp98a$937
Replace it with a heat bank. They operate at low pressures. Forget an
unvented cylinder.

If the cylinder needs replacing - then I guess that is a reasonable
idea. However I've read that these [may] need descaling every couple
of years or so - and hence the running costs are very expensive?

IMM

"RJ" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message news:btp98a$937
Replace it with a heat bank. They operate at low pressures. Forget an
unvented cylinder.

If the cylinder needs replacing - then I guess that is a reasonable
idea. However I've read that these [may] need descaling every couple
of years or so - and hence the running costs are very expensive?

Heats banks have a plate heat exchanger. These stainless steell flexible
plates that resist scale. In a hard water areas a phosphor de-scaler should
be fitted anyway, no matter what type of system you have.

---

The Natural Philosopher

RJ wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message news:btp98a$937

Replace it with a heat bank. They operate at low pressures. Forget an
unvented cylinder.

If the cylinder needs replacing - then I guess that is a reasonable
idea. However I've read that these [may] need descaling every couple
of years or so - and hence the running costs are very expensive?

Install a water softener - a proper one - and forget de-scaling.

Without getting onvolved in heatbanks, I had the opportunity to
completely design HW and CH for the new house.

The numbers of baths and showers really meant that combi/heatbank looked
more expensive than a smaller boiler (hate wasting space) driving a
mains pressure system. Plus if I ran out of oil, I could immersion heat
the HW.

I insatlled a water softener and mains pressure system. Its fabulous.
Only downsiode to teh water softener - apart from filling it with 5 quid
of salt a month - is that peak flow rates are reduced a little.

If you have to start ripping stuff out, I'd strongly recommend you fit a
new pressurised tank, and an ion exchange water softener. No scaling on
your equipment, no nasty scum on your bathwater, use less soap on teh
washing...its works as advertised.

My softener is quite large, and so is my tank. About 500 quid each from
memory. Its at least a days work to plumb the tank, less for the
softener. You SHOULD vave all the pipes there you need, but you MAY need
to extend and adapt them.

I shold get planning and researching and hope that your bodges hold up
long enough to get the job planned properly for the spring.

RJ

Cheers. See other thread from the poor multiple post....

The heat bank idea is growing on me - esp if I can't find a plumber!
Just wish I could chat to someone for 1/2 hour over a beer and a pen &
paper so I can fully understand how the heck everything works. i.e.
exactly what pipe does what (why aren't they all labelled!?) which
would help with a full replacement!

hahahahaha!!!

Time for some Sunday beer contemplation and surfing of plumbing sites.

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"RJ" wrote in message
om...
"IMM" wrote in message news:btp98a$937
Replace it with a heat bank. They operate at low pressures. Forget an
unvented cylinder.

If the cylinder needs replacing - then I guess that is a reasonable
idea. However I've read that these [may] need descaling every couple
of years or so - and hence the running costs are very expensive?

Heats banks have a plate heat exchanger. These stainless steell flexible
plates that resist scale. In a hard water areas a phosphor de-scaler should
be fitted anyway, no matter what type of system you have.

---

RJ

Ion exchange water softner? Time to do some more research!

Though the installation of unvented systems needs to be by a qualified
plumber etc, why does a replacement when in effect, I guess, it'll be
factory tested cylinder and all that needs is it to be disconnected
and reconnected. All joins can be tested with cold pressure water,
and all the other pipework is "as designed" and as per building regs
by the original installer.

SO especially if its like-for-like, it should be a trivial job to
replace cylinder and all anciliaries...?

Unless I'm missing something.

Oh more good news - can't find any Polystel references on the web - so
no spares here and probably need just a replacement if I go that
route.

Lots of ideas and research needed!!

RJ wrote:

[...]

IMM

RJ wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message news:btp98a$937

Replace it with a heat bank. They operate at low pressures. Forget an
unvented cylinder.

If the cylinder needs replacing - then I guess that is a reasonable
idea. However I've read that these [may] need descaling every couple
of years or so - and hence the running costs are very expensive?

Install a water softener - a proper one - and forget de-scaling.

Without getting onvolved in heatbanks, I had the opportunity to
completely design HW and CH for the new house.

The numbers of baths and showers really
meant that combi/heatbank looked
more expensive than a smaller boiler
(hate wasting space) driving a
mains pressure system.

I don't think you loked hard enough.

Plus if I ran out of oil, I could immersion heat
the HW.

Heat banks can have immersions too.

If you have to start ripping stuff out, I'd strongly recommend you fit a
new pressurised tank,

Forget this idea.

---